1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One announced as next-gen Microsoft games console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 21 May 2013.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sure is a funky looking controller. Never been a fan of Xbox controllers and this one seems to have only gotten worse.

Liking the design of the console, though. Much less shouty, fits better with other home entertainment equipment.

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

You know what would be very cool: The ability to play PC games.

Fair enough to Sony to not doing that but there really isn't much of a reason for MS not to allow it (in techincal terms not financially). It runs PC hardware and I imagine that the OS will be very much like Windows 8.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Xbox reveal was weird no specs no price no launch date. 4bil transistors and a 500gb hd is what we get who cares is where I'm at. Think the markets must agree judging by the reactions of Sony and Microsoft share price.

Gddr5 can break 200gb/sec bandwidth for reference that's what most high end vid cards run at. The last gen gddr3 feels like a cheap option even if it has 32mb stuck on it.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

5. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's been a bizarre couple of weeks, dodgy colours on z87 boards and dull boxes ..... seems the manufacturers should take a look in the project logs once in while

6. AiA

AiA Minimodder

no the best of names
    i am sure the average person will just refer to it as an xbox

change the logo to Sony and it would look like a sony product to me

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What a terrible, unoriginal name - HTC One, Sony i1 now the XBox One... Plus it does look dull as dishwater... Oh well, something else not to buy...

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I might need to rewatch, but is Spielberg actually involved directly? Or is he just an ambassador?

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It's not a bad design, or ugly, just not something I would have expected this millennium. Also, Activision has re-done CoD, they now have smoke.

10. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Anyone else like the design of the console? It may not be flashy but to me it certainly doesn't look bad and will fit in unobtrusively wherever it is which is what matters most to me about a consoles looks.

11. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

Wow, did not expect such a sheit response from the community. Guys, get over your love of the PC and its perfectly crafted integration into life and look at whats interesting!

To many, kinect was an abysmal failure. But the programming scene found so many different projects, applications, uses for it. For Computer Scientists it was a perfect tool made readily available. The fact that they have bumped it up a notch is what interests me the most. I'd be msot interested to see what they come up with.

The xbox itself is unjudgable until people actually get to try it out. Specs don't work like a PC, so meh.

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Actually, the APU or CPU, will have 8 cores. It was visible from the console's exploded view slide. The first sentence on the top right. Albeit that, nothing about RAM specs were mentioned.

Spielberg will be directed involved, at least is what was implied.

Xbox streaming through the Deutsch Xbox page was pretty good (I'm from and live in Portugal).

As someone already said, the console looks like a VCR, specially the one showed in the NFL/Xbox collaboration, with grey touches. I still have a VCR looking like that (dimension and colour wise) in my garage in a need of repair.
    Forza and the controller were the most interesting parts. I hope the controller is compatible with the wireless xbox 360 pc receiver so I can pair it up with another controllers on my pc, otherwise, have to buy 3 more xbox 360 wireless controllers.

To conclude my opinion, I'm waiting with popcorn to hear people complain that changing game isn't as fast as claimed nor switching between "apps". They showed an already configured console and since it looks like a lot of Windows 8 with media center embedded with the same "boot cache system", the first time setup and when you really close applications or whatever they are called, it will take longer so there's the reason why it has so much RAM, to have applications running in the background. Changing back to the game is a thing, changing games is another one, they didn't cover that.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So minimalism is now suddenly "not from this millenium" ? Sure, people who buy computers with Alienware design are probably sad by this design choice, but the design of XBOX One fits the intended purpose - a media hub, which will you can safely put next to your AV Receiver and it won't scream "I AM ZEH GAMING CONSOLEH". In that context, both XBOX 360 and PS3 looked very bad.

14. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

But really, do people nowadays NEED another media device? Between their TV's, tablets, mobile phones, PC's, laptops and current gen consoles do you really think there's enough people out there who will want a new Xbox over a PS4 because of it's media capabilities?

I don't.

But anyways, the more I hear and see about the new Xbox, the more I sway towards the PS4... I haven't owned a games console since the original Xbox/GameCube/PS2 era (I owned all three as well), it'll be nice to have something to bring back the hobby of playing games with my mates in the same room if nothing else (the only thing I miss with PC gaming, LAN is just too much faffing about).

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I couldn't disagree with you more. My 360 Elite in matt black looks perfectly acceptable next to my TV. The PS3 wasn't too bad and the curved design was something a bit different and interesting. The updated Mk2 design that lost the ghastly fingerprint black and the shiney silver front looked good.

The new Xbox is HUGE, far from the discrete minimalism you'd expect for something that's going to be out in the open front and centre. It seems bigger than my amp i've got under my tv and it looks completely disjointed with it's '2 halves' appearance.

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

No it's just a really poor design. Sure it will work and blend in (if you have another box that size I guess), but it's just sooooooooo boring.

Just to level it out, I'm not saying it should look like it was designed by NZXT or Alienware. I was more thinking along the lines of Apple. Hate their pricing, ecosystem and specs all you want, but Apple machines are bloody beautiful. My parents picked up one of the slim 27" iMacs a couple months back, that thing is simply gorgeous. I would much prefer to have something along the lines of a Mac Mini in my living room than this thing. Admittedly the casing for a mini probably costs 20x more to produce though, so isn't exactly applicable in this scenario.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I never said minimalism - your words not mine. All I said is it looks like something not from this milennium, and considering the first thing that come to my mind when I saw it was a cross between a very very old HTPC my friend used to own and my grandparents even older top loading VCR with a wired remote control, I'm going to stand by that.

And as I started, it's not a bad design, and it's not ugly, just unexpected. I suppose I was expecting something smaller/slimmer and with rounded edges. More akin to our current, but aging, PVR.

Will the PS4 not also play videos like the PS3 can or have they scrapped that?

18. Nicodemus_MM

Nicodemus_MM What's a Dremel?

God forbid a game console looks like a serious Audio Visual appliance. I mean... how dare they not make it impractically curved, gaudy and stand out like a dead cat on a buffet. :wallbash:

Gee, maybe they wanted something that looks like an appliance and could be taken seriously by more than those that play games. Ya think? :duh:

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Then why they make it look like it's the box that magicians use to cut their assistant in half and the size of a hearse then?:eyebrow:

Also they've succeeded in making some of it look like a normal household appliance. The top of it looks like a cooker with one half halogen hobs and the other half griddle pan.

Last edited: 21 May 2013
  20. rollo

rollo Modder

The new xbox reveal was just that a look and little else. Very little got confirmed that rumours had not already pointed out.

The biggest thing to come out of this was the Fee for the second hand game or friend game market. Thats a big thing to parents who might consider buying a second console if they can share the games. Its a much more difficult purchase if you have to buy the same game twice.

Not many parents are going to happily pay £60 for the game then another £5-£10 to play it on a second xbox that they own that seems kinda insane.

If the ps4 does not charge for second hand games then Sony already has an advantage in the eyes of the parents who are the purchases of most of these consoles to begin with.

Tags: Add Tags