Planning Xbox One X powering LEDs from the motherboard

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dietec, 27 Oct 2017.

1. Dietec

Dietec New Member

I want to do an xbox one X mod when it comes out. Basically just plan on cutting a window in the top and installing a tempered glass panel, and painting the rest of it. I want to install LEDs inside the case to show off the internals, but I want them to be powered by the machine itself so as to not have any extra wires hanging out anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience modding their xbox? And if not, can you figure out a way based on this teardown video? I see some power cables in here like the one connected to the HDD, I'm wondering if I'd be able to leech some power from one of those or somewhere on the motherboard. I have experience soldering but I'm not sure the best way to go about this.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I'd say the hdd or blue ray power cable would be you best bet. In fact probably the only easily accessible power connection without soldering.

Looking at that teardown, what are you wanting to show off? All you'd see is black plastic shrouds unless you started doing some serious modding to it.

3. Dietec

Dietec New Member

Yeah, I'd have to do quite a lot of modding to get it looking like something I guess. Thanks for the reply, if I end up doing something I'll definitely make a mod log for it.

4. The_Crapman

Maybe give this a whirl :dremel:

5. Dietec

Dietec New Member

That's intense. I do love a challenge though :thumb:

6. The_Crapman

It's a 5 part series but there's a quick 4min vid showing all the build I watched and he doesn't end up with the watercooled memory chips. Will have to watch the full one to find out why. But you should do it!

I wonder if you could take the fins off that copper base-plate on the x1x and then attach a block to that, maybe with thermal glue, then heatsink the rest up.

7. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Member

Is it because he realised he made all that tubing look poo?

The_Crapman and Dietec like this.
  8. The_Crapman

One of these (maybe more?) on a baseplate covering the chip and RAM would be great.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

There is also the 5V for the USB sockets you could probably access cleanly.