1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox: Sun

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bushd, 4 Aug 2003.

1. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

After having my XBox some time, I decided it was time to mod it. This time though it is only a controller, mine. I am thinking of getting the extended Microsoft warranty, so modding the XBox itself is out of the question until a later time.

I named this "Sun" since my primary colour used will be orange. It is a decent color, vibrant and rarely used. If I do mod the XBox itself, expect plenty of orange and white LEDs.

Preparing the controller:
    [​IMG]

Finished taping:
    [​IMG]

Added jewel tape:
    [​IMG]

Went to Home Depot, Lowes and the closed Hobby Lobby. In a bit I will be taking a trip down to Wal-Mart to see if they do indeed have the vinyl dye I seek. [See, using the SEARCH FUNCTION actually works.] This controller will be an orange base, with the taped off portion being either black, white or green. If I use green, it will definately be a XBox Live! themed controller with the orange and green. I am still undecided on its color, between the three though. However, I will be ordering a "make your own bubble sticker" kit so I can give it a new jewel and light it up with unordered white LEDs.

I have a plan so that when a button is pressed, the button lights up. This may require smd leds inside the buttons, I am still unsure of how it will work. In fact, I think it may require low mcd from low voltage. I will be plugging it up later and testing values.

More progress will be posted as time goes on.

2. Shadow6363

Shadow6363 What's a Dremel?

hey, thats a really nice idea, been thinking about modding my xbox also, i think the xbox live colors would look the best then either use led's the same color as the buttons, or use xbox live colored led's

3. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Went to Wal-Mart, no Krylon vinyl dye. I guess the search function didn't help to much. Trying to find an on-line website to purchase some from.

4. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

autozone has vinyl dye... and stores like it should, it is used on the interior parts which are vinyl....

autozone, o-riley, napa, should all have something of that sort...

5. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Will check there tomorrow. I saw that in some of the searched posts but those places were closed at the time of need. Boo for early close shops; I mean after all it is only a sunday. I think I have made my decision on colors. I think the green would completely look horrible on the secondary so I will stick with black, but not the controller black as I will respray it black there.

Anyone know a good, cheap place for white LEDs, I prefer over 2000mcd, but will reduce standards if required. Radioshack and Frys is expensive on that subject and low mcd when I can find them on Ebay, while in 50-100 packs which is more then I need, for cheaper.

6. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

surely if you press a button and it lights up you will not be able to see it cos its under your finger? much cooler would be a fade afteer you have pressed the button :lol: also i want to mod my xbox as welll now its out of warranty :worried: how did you get the jewel out of the controller?

7. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

With a high enough MCD LED you could easily see the light from under the finger, especially in the dark.

The jewel on the controller just popped right off, with a screwdriver put underneath an edge.

8. malcs

ah but thats the controller S isn't it though :( the one with the case-badge like jewel

awesome controller though :thumb:

9. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

http://www.modzone.dk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36

There is one solution, looking for more. I decided I will be modding the XBox in the long run. I called Microsoft XBox technical support last night about their warranty and got an unknowing answer. Not spending that much money on something they're not sure about.

10. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Been many a places this morning seeking orange vinyl dye. To my luck noone carries it, but they carry black, grey, white and slate blue. The one place that is sure to have more of a selection is closed temporarily on mondays, to which I was very dissapointed.

Time to find an on-line source for vinyl dye and hopefully LEDs in the same spot.

11. malcs

i'm modding my big original controller with chrome paint it is going to look fantastic its plasti-kote but im using a lot of very thin coats

12. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

My last experience with chrome paint was horrible. It looked great, but after a few presses on the button, it wore off. I'd suggest a clearcoat enamel. There is no vinyl dye chrome to my knowledge, don't think it would even be possible to make, so prepare for a long painting journey.

13. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Been everywhere now, time to find orange vinyl dye on-line.

14. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

Check out for an industrial plastics type store. I have the one mom and pop operation with Krylon Fusion for ~3.50 CAN. I dunno whyh when the list price is ~10. I found that when you really need something, big stores never have it.

I am sorry but I can't reccomend any online retailers.

15. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

I did find an on-line source and ordered the orange vinyl dye, which is due to arrive any day soon. I went to Radioshack yesterday, and today for that matter, to which I purchase two orange LEDs, I was shocked they had them, and two yellow leds. I have the orange ones installed, however I am not sure if I will be using the yellow or not.

Pictures of progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next to do is drill holes in upper portion under jewel.

EDIT: I may also do a shock system called "Xshok", shown here.

16. malcs

i saw Xshok looks well cool :)

17. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

I have since painted the controller. I took the masking tape off and decided it would look much better all orange. So I am spraying the top unsprayed portion again. It should be finished in a couple of hours easily.

This is the front, still masked off:
    [​IMG]

The painted backside:
    [​IMG]

Those are the lovely needle files that work out great when filing the jewel slot hole down after dremel work. I may end up creating my own bubble jewel with my heatgun. 1000*F should be enough to heat it up.

Decided I will definately be doing this to my second controller if this turned out well, I love the orange vinyl dye color, turned out perfect with those LEDs. They're not wide angle which is why they don't seem to be bright, however they're 1600mcd each which is plenty enough.

18. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Jesus my eyes!!! That's hella bright orange man, nice job though, even and clean.

19. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Jesus that's bright. Looks good too.:thumb:

It's good to see something apart from the "dark and monolithical" mods as well as not too "LOOOOOOOOK AT IT, BRIGHT AND SHINY AM00Z3s MEEE!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:"

This is definitely gonna chalk up another reason for me to get an XBox.

...or at least an XBox case to mod... :rock:

20. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

Mind lending us some linkage to the online store you ordered that vinyl dye from?:naughty: