1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xbox v PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by antec900, 5 Aug 2009.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^It's not that they're hard to use or anything, it's the fact that the thumbsticks are not quite as fast and precise as a mouse. That's the reason some console games have autoaim.

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

LOLOLOL I TROLLU

Troll thread. PC is better, XBOX is for casuals etc...

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If you don't have anything nice to say...

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If that was supposed to be an answer to my take, then sorry for leaving the "just my 2 cents" or "ofc it's just my opinion" and "sorry for having an opinion about something"s from the post.

Yeah, I suppose it's possible to play FPS on console, seeing how popular Halos are, but for me it feels impossible whenever I try. To me auto-aim just totally ruins the point of any online FPS.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

+rep, the 360 controller is orgasmically comfortable. Analogue shoulder triggers and concave thumbsticks are particularly delicious compared to the bafflingly lazy design of the sixaxis.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Then I'm sorry I left mine out too :p It wasn't a personal attack or anything, it's not like pretty much every PC fan gives that as one of their main reasons for liking PC gaming more. I was just addressing that issue. It's not really true that a keyboard and mouse is vastly superior for an FPS than a controller is. Sure, if you're at the sort of level where you're incredibly competitive and going in for tournaments, then you'd want the best you can get, but how many here are at that sort of level? Otherwise, for general play online and in single player, once you get used to a controller there is very little difference I find.

I'm also of the opinion that the 360 controller is the best one around, it fits into your hands so well and the layout is great. Only problem with it is the poor D-pad.

I bought a wired one before I got a 360 so I could use it on my PC for doing stuff like piloting helicopters in BF2.

7. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

Can we just remember, that, the xbox 360, is essentially a pc anyway..

and by going down this route, that also makes, the ps3, wii, and any other console a pc too.. including a mac.. they all have a processor, all have ram, and all have a HD.. either way we must remember one thing from this.

It all started on the PC (thats counting Amiga, Atari and stuff too).

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Wait... What? Lol I never even noticed your post. Sorry! :D

Anyway, yeah I like the x360 controller, and definitely prefer it in racing games (over keyboard, that is), I also would prefer a console(controller) and a projector in racing games, but I hardly ever play those.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Mate that just isn't right. I've been using both platforms for years and the thumbsticks just can't keep up with a mouse. It's a very noticable difference, and i'm a fairly average gamer.

I agree, the 360 controller is amazingly comfortable.

I find the wired one to be a bit too light without the added weight of the battery pack though, but i guess that's just personal preference as i got used to the wireless one after all the 360 gaming. I too use a wired 360 controller on some of my PC games that benefit from analog controls. Vehicle-heavy games in particular.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

No, sorry but you're just wrong on that case. Controllers for racing/flight games make sense, as that's how it works in real life, but in an FPS you're mimicking pointing a gun, which you can do basically instantly and in any direction, much like a mouse.

Using a joypad to look around means the game actually becomes more resticted than the real life alternative, and that's just wrong.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

As I've said, I've not noticed any hindrance to my playing ability using a controller over using a mouse.

For driving games, using a control pad is actually easier than using a wheel, so how is that "right"?

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

freedom of movement vs. turning like a robot.

keyboard/mouse wins,

end.

13. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

As it's a level playing field for everyone playing, what does it matter?

I agree that kb+mouse is a great combo for FPS and in the past would have strongly agreed with you POV, but having converted to console gaming it really isn't as bad this side of the fence as people make out.
    When gaming on a console, it is much more natural to use a gamepad over mouse+kb - no desk for a start - so even if I had the choice I know what I'd rather use (and yes, I am just a casual gamer :p)

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ok ive had enough of this!

I bought killzone 2 for my ps3 and im not even half way in and already I want to smash the damn joypad against the ****ing wall, stop deluding yourself that FPS games belong on a console and wake up already! :grr:

if it wasnt for ms, the xbox and fail-o we wouldnt be having these discussions, AAA gaming would be "great" as opposed to mearly "ok" (dont give me that crap that multi platform rocks because farcry 2, fear 2, dues ex 2, possibly crysis 2 prove otherwise!) and we as pc gamers wouldnt have to suffer GFWL in thier horse **** "vision" of bringing multiple gaming camps together when in actual fact its a smoke screen for whoring every damn dev out there, and with MS's usual buisness tactics in developing exlusivly for thier platform they are getting it. Sony arent going to die due to how much financial support they have behind the ps3 and nintendo have brilliantly tapped the family market leaving us with 3 massive super powers.

with nintendo focusing on the family scene its left sony and ms to piss in each others faces with us gamers and devs standing underneath them. :wallbash:

I'm a gamer, an old school proper one, ive rescued the princess from another castle, chased chaos emeralds and hunted cyberdemons with an iconic pumpaction.

I love everything about gaming, its a passionate hobby of mine but the state of the industry atm makes me wanted to vomit blood. :grr:

Last edited: 17 Aug 2009
  15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

That depends entirely on when you're playing arcade or simulation games. On an arcade game, its bascially setup to use a pad. With a simulation, you need to use a wheel.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I'm not claiming FPS to be better suited to consoles, I agree that a kb+mouse is the best combo, however a joypad can work prefectly well. I played Killzone 2 all the way through without any problems :)

This is clearly a very subjective topic and really boils down to how seriously you take your gaming and whether you play by yourself more or other people. I'm quite happy to load up a quick game of KZ2 with a couple of mates over, taking it in turns to die while we load up on beer and pizza. Clearly if you're more interested in collecting trophies and doing everything right, then this isn't the approach you're likely to be taking!!

Passing a controller around is somewhat easier than moving around a desk trying to get to the kb+mouse and much less taxing after the beers have started to kick in ;)

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats anothing thing ****ing annoying me!

"oh bugger! it appears our game is tad too shallow, quick stuff some shitty trophies in so the retards can spend ages aquiring nothing"

18. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

consoles are for people who dont know how to press the power button on a pc

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wrong, mate. Consoles are for people who like playing games.

20. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

Sorry m8 i beg to differ i had a ps2 and an Xbox 360 and nothing compares to a pc for gaming. Be it choice, graphics, playability and ugradability.