1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 6 Jan 2012.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Well, after having the game crash on me when I attacked the 'something', I sat around and just cleared all the research items available, have satellites up everywhere except South America, income is at §1,215 (after maintenance), started to excavate the lowest levels of the ant farm, I have 5 Colonels, Firestorm just became operational with an EMP. I'm feeling good :D

I know though that when I start my 2nd playthrough on classic, I'm going to start crying.

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys, does anyone know if there's a way to figure out line of sight and things like weapon ranges?

Unless I've missed something, I have no idea if a trooper can see the enemy or not and whether or not I'm in their overwatch range.

Cheers!

3. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

hi all, I bought this from the Ziip store..... does anyone know how long it takes to get my steam code from them ...... I really want to get into this :)

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Kelvin, did you get it?

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Hrm. Game has been remarkable fun so far, but has anyone had any issues with enemies becoming literally invulnerable? I ran into one big beastie on one of the campaign missions whom appeared to be utterly unkillable. Plus he got a seemingly infinite number of reaction shots, too. At ten damage a pop; That's just ridiculous.

This is after sticking the game on Easy because I just wanted something to chill out and enjoy. Is this Karmic retribution for that or something?!

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just completed it..... on easy. Now time to up the difficulty level one notch!

7. impar

impar Minimodder

8. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

I did thanks and more than impressed by the service, it was just me being a little impatient. Took a while to download but managed to sneak an hour in while the Mrs was sleeping :).

I do have one question though how do I tell what version I have as I understand the one I bought was the pre-order one with the DLC and customization ?

But must say I will be back to buy some more stuff from you guys ....... :)

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Check the hair styles, if you start at 0 and press left you should see the classic huge flatop hairstyle thing (think guile(?) from Streetfighter), also you apparently have more armor/helmets? But im not sure what is new :S.
    You should have Civ V to download via steam and if you play TF2 you should have a some new items.

Mind you im talking about the Steam pre-orders i dont know about other ones.....

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I lost my 5th country last night, my lack of effective fighter coverage is really starting to hurt me. I've placed an order for 3 Firestorm ships and am slowly outfitting the regular jets with plasma weaponry.

I am only now realizing the importance of aircraft in the later game, I fear I spent too much time/money on my squad upgrades early on.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I completed XCOM last night, 35 hours all in all.

Spoilers Ahoy:

The last mission was a very difficult, mainly down to my fairly green squad, owing to the many losses I had taken throughout the campaign. In the final mission itself, I lost both of my Alloy Cannon wielding Assaults and the rest of my squad had 1/3rd health by the time I got to the final chamber. It was only because of some save/reloading that I managed to find the right combo of tactics to bring the overlord ethereal down.

In the end, it boiled down to a crafty alpha strike from my sniper with a headshot, my heavy’s Plasma rocket launcher, a well connected shot from my plasma assault rifle medic and a Psionic Storm from my chosen/gifted one. Oddly I was lucky, in that I did not get the damage feedback that ethereals sometimes give out and because I alphad, it was unable to use mind control!

I enjoyed every second of it and have just started an Iron Man mode campaign on the European continent. Wow, interceptors are expensive without the USA bonus for them :/ It will be interesting to see how much replay value there is to this game.

I am not going to bother with classic until the dev fix the "cheating" that AI does in that mode. I think however, now there is so much clamour for the Second Wave mode that was dropped, it won't be long before we get a patch to re-implement it and patch the Classic mode to.

12. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

There are a couple of mods available that put it back into the game (it's a little iffy, as you have to select the options with keyboard as mouse doesn't work on the menu for some reason)

Link here

13. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Maybe i have missed this, but what is Second Wave?

14. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

It's basically a load of modifiers you can apply to the game:

15. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Sounds good not keen on the "Blitz" one but i would like a game with the rest turned on, i did start another game on Classic (non ironman) and it a bit more fun now, i found on normal i was going through the motions!

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

According to that site you linked, the version 1.4 update has fixed all options bar the red haze modifier. It's amazing how fast the community can get stuff done. Will try it, thanks fot the heads up :)

17. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Is this game built on predefined missions or are they randomly generated?

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

pre generated maps but randomly drawn and random start locations make them feel different

*edit*

I also recorded a Wildcard of XCOM, which with less then 20 mins of sleep the night before resulted in some embarrassing moments of tactical genius/pain.

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Almost felt the sting of losing a team member the other day in Iron Man mode. My top ranked Heavy was in critical after stupidly blowing a hole in the wall to reveal a room stuffed with aliens in cover. Took some awesome flanking skills to stabilize him in his dying turn!

So far generally finding the combat on the easy side (about 6 missions in) so might amp it up a little.

The base management bit I suck at. Can't make those long term decisions.....

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

satellites satellites satellites satellites satellites etc