1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XCOM release date announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2011.

1. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Dont forget the DLC weapons pack out on release day featuring the gold plated AK47.

2. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Maybe someone will mod frozen synpase for a good XCOM game, until then i'll keep playing........frozen synapse.

BTW I grew up on a dose of terror from the deep. Could never kill those big ships though, I was a bad XCOM player :(

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Those graphics are terrible. However if it's a mix of FPS with the Hub style of play they talked about last year I'm still interested. Thing is though the head of that team left after some differences on what the game was going to be so maybe they have screwed over that part?

Anyway, still keeping an eye on it.

4. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

5. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

just want to add to the sea of comments that don't like this.

Does the market actually need another cover based combat game?

Oh yes, research and other distractions probably are in there, but it all seems very linear and just samey. I played X-Com defense (or UFO: Enemy unknown, whatever you want to call it), and its quite amusing that, in a world full of constant sequels, they seem to be remaking old games, but into formats that they probably believe will "sell".

Minecraft and Terraria (of recent) and to an extent frozen synapse show that you don't need millions to make a game thats succesful, just need an original, fun idea. But what do we know, we're just the ones buying the games :p

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The thing with X-Com is that, apart from some awesome early games, the later entries in the series were complete crap.

By the way, for folks bitching that it's a console game and all console games have to be stupid, the first X-Com game I ever owned was a turn based strategy game, X-Com: Enemy Unknown or whatever it was called, the very first game of the series, it was brilliant, it was a classic, and it was on my Playstation.

My thinking is that this Xcom is an FPS because, like pretty much every Xcom since Terror From The Deep, it's a bag of ****.

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

+1

Perhaps if they developers of the new XCOM had a bit more imagination and decent programming skills they could have taken a leaf out of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and provided squad based combat in real-time where members of your squad could be AI controlled or you could play with yur friends as a squad over Lan or the Internet. Now that might have made things a lot more interesting and exciting and more in keeping with the original than simply adopt the FPS moniker.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

FFS all they have to do is take the old game X-COM : UFO Defence
    update the graphics and I would be happy.

If they *must* make a FPS portion, make it optional and original.

Dont mess with one of the best titles ever made on the PC

Yours in XCOM Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

9. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

says it all really :/ how can you trash such a wonderful IP ? ? ?

People have been begging for an x-com like game for years. Publishers might say it's too hardcore and doesn't appeal to the mainstream, but they said the same about RPGs. Hello Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 - it can be done!!

10. Tulx

Tulx What's a Dremel?

I just registered to say this: XENONAUTS is an in developement remake of the original X-Com aiming to be faithful to X-Com experience. If you are one of those who say: " I've seen many failed indie clones which have never been out of beta" then just please give this one a chance because it looks very promising.

http://www.xenonauts.com/

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Whatever happened to originality when it comes to games and movies? It seems like most titles are a remake or sequel of something before. The sequels often do not live up to expectations and can actually be inferior to the original.

Case in point: I discovered last week that there was a 1962 movie on Hulu called "The 300 Spartans". I didn't realize that the movie "300" was basically a remake of an existing film. I like the original film significantly more than it's successor. The older film seems more realistic than the new one. Older movie, special effects not so great, yet still superior in many ways to the modern remake that came out 46 years later.

BTW. I AM REALLY looking forward to Mass Effect 4, Halo 4, Deadspace 3, Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy 15, Modern Warfare 4, Fable 4, Diablo 3, Sacred 3, Fear 4, Might and Magic 6, Bioshock 3, Command and Conquer 5 (much higher depending on how you count them), Need For Speed Infinite Redux, Super Mario Bros MMO, Legend of Zelda Never Ending... etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Okay, a couple of those last ones I made up, but the point is, there are way too many remakes and sequels out there in my opinion.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

:rolleyes:

Why does everyone seem to think the following?

Sequel/Reboot = lack of originality = boring game

This new XCOM game seems to have been judged before it's even out.

For the record, I hate Minecraft. It may be original, but the game bores me to tears. Now come flame me :cooldude: .

13. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I don't think people think that exactly. It's not that a reboot = boring, the problem is that the whole point of XCOM was that it was a slow, tactical game, where you inched your team very carefully around a scary town at night. You couldn't see very far and never knew what was around the next corner. You had to very tactically move your guys around and if one person came across an alien, you ideally wanted someone with him to help shoot it down asap.

It was kind of scary, quite tense, dark and mysterious, and really tactical. I think people loved it because it was all those things and it was different from FPS's, which even at the time we had plenty of. There was Wolf3d and doom and whatnot, and they were great for adrenaline fuelled shootin', but Xcom was more of a slow scary mission.

So the problem is that making it in to an FPS ruins all that. Unless there is a thick fog or something, you are going to be able to see the whole town. The isometric view of Xcom meant that you couldn't see very far and that's what made it tense. And then pew pew pew shooting in a FPS just kills the all important one shot one kill feel that the original had. I remember firing a powerful lazer bolt from my rifle, and watched on the edge of my seat as it slowly flew across the screen, then through some trees, then through the window of a building... and out the other side to hit an alien and kill it. If that one shot missed, my squadmate near the alien would likely be killed or seriously injured. All of which mattered, a lot.

So yeah, boo to them for screwing all that up... Of course, they could technically still achieve a similar kind of thing within a FPS... but I think people just know from countless past experiences, that that wont happen.

14. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

The point is, it's being judged before its come out on the basis that they've taken a very good name (excluding daft stuff like spaceship one, and the one driving round cities lol) which is very very well known for being one of the all time great strategy games, as well as merging two game types together in a way that hasn't really been done since (as good anyway), and then turned it into a fairly looking standard cover based shooter...

...its like getting Elite and turning it into a puzzle game.

15. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

For some reason I thought "300" was based on a comic book of the same name rather than a previous film. Mind you, as both were based on the same subjective telling of an historical event it wouldn't be too surprising if they share a lot of detail.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the graphic novel. Looks pretty cool actually.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

The most impressive was the way they kept it esthetically so close to Millers work. Story wise they made some compromises (the Queen role).
    Watchmen was also based on a graphic novel, very close to the original work.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bahaha, this looks absolutely rubbish!

20. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

This does indeed look console-tastic and generally balls. I suppose I'll just have to go back to working on my dodgy rip-off of the original game for Android...

Tags: Add Tags