1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics XFX 5870

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JaredC01, 25 Mar 2010.

1. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

So I bought an XFX 5870 for my i7 rig a few weeks ago now, and it's been running fine, however there seems to be no automatic control over the fan side using MSI's Afterburner software to control it. I've tried BIOS flashing with modified fan settings with no success, and am out of clues as to what is going on...

The XFX model in question is HD-587X-ZNFC...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476

The fan is stuck at 55%, and doesn't seem to change no matter what the temperature is at. I don't mind using Afterburner if I have to, though the only real options I have with the program are the same ones I'm capable of using the the Catalyst control software (side the fan control) as the board isn't reference.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Perhaps this could be the first question posted on XFX's New Forum

3. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Hmm... Might be better to have this thread moved to that forum than to make a new thread. Any mods wanna chime in?

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Never found the XFX UK support of any use at all in fact a complete waste of space.
    Which is why I've always used the official XFX support forum in the USA.
    Still would be nice if the UK one was now better.

5. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

Have ya given ati tool 0.27 a whirl great for overclocking and fan control you can tell it to keep below a certan temp or you can create a full fan chart the speed of the fan dependent on the core temp.

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

MSI Afterburner can do overclocking and fan control, and I've already got it installed... I don't want a third party solution is what I'm saying. I can set the speed manually to a specific percentage, but then the speed doesn't increase with temp. I would like to know why it's 'stuck' at 55% full time when in auto mode.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's probably because you didn't get a reference design cooler?

my XFX 5870 reference design is working perfectly fine with Afterburner

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Still not what I'm talking about... FFS does anyone read the full OP anymore??

MSI Afterburner works fine with my card for frequencies and fan control. It does NOT work with voltage control, though I'm not worried about voltage control.

What I AM concerned with, is why the XFX card that I bought will not auto-throttle like every other card will when ONLY using CCC to auto-control the fan. I can manually set the speed fine, but I want temperature based fan speed, like it's supposed to have. Instead of temp based fan speed, it simply stays at a very noisy 55% speed.

9. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Do you by any chance have "Enable user defined software automatic fan control" ticked in the settings part of afterburner? I know this set's the fan to run at 50% all the time by default until you get up to about 70c when it's increases the speed further.

Just a thought, but if you unticked this option and set it to auto i'm sure it would throttle back down to 21% for idle.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2010
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

let me get this straight:
    MSI afterburner works fine with your card including fan control. and you are complaining about there is no way to automatically control the fan speed. :wallbash:

:idea:

here's an idea: use MSI afterburner to control the fan speed, automatically.

this is how i've set my 5870:
    [​IMG]

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

What I'm specifically complaining about: Every ATI card on the market has auto-fan control built in by default based on temperature... When the temperature of the card rises, the fan speed does as well, without using third party software. My card does NOT seem to have this built in. The speed simply stays at 55% full time. I'm wondering if it's a bug or supposed to be this way, because at 55% the card is louder than the 5 S-Flex E 120mm's and the 200mm Antec fan combine at 12 volts.

The point is I do not want to have to use a third party piece of software to control the fan speed. The card should already have it built in, yet I can't seem to get it to work, even with a modified fan profile BIOS (which has since been re-flashed back to stock).