1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Xonar Drivers - Unified or Official?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 13 May 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi guys.

Finally hooked up the Xonar DX I got (previously had a Creative X-Fi Titanium), and was just wondering what drivers we all use?

Do the Unified drivers actually have any real advantages over the official drivers?

Why haven't any new drivers been released in nearly a year? Would love Bindi's input on this if he is about.

PS: Why does control panel force me to view my rear speakers as 'side speakers' when I select 5.1? :duh:

2. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Using the unified drivers myself, they seem to just work :)

Though I can't seem to get my front panel connectors working, no idea if it's a driver issue though

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Official drivers, no problems here, just fantastic sound.

4. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

I've tried both, and I can tell no difference. Using a Xonar DG.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Doesn't mater for teh following reasons:
    -> Computer case front audio panel wires and plugs assume that you'll use the onboard sound card.. it goes full out cheap on you.. even on the really good cases. So the wires aren't shielded or barely, so it gets all the interference from your system.... turning this fine sound from your expensive card... almost like a onboard one.

-> Most cases, also connect the ground of the headphone plugs on the front of your case with the USB plug. I don't know why... but it reduces the audio quality, and really ads a lot of interferences (cause the ground of the USB is connected to the one of the motherboard, which you have everything on it, and that is connected to your power supply... so you really ensure that you have all the interference. It's clearly not the case manufacture that does these plugs, the case manufacture finds the cheapest ones, and puts the holes on the case to use it.

I just use my headphone plug on my speakers. Beside, it's much closer and easier to reach.

Sketchee likes this.
  6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Unified all the way.
    The official drivers are crashy, glitchy and have higher memory usage than the unified ones.

Look:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3050738&postcount=16

From what I gathered on the Asus forums about a year ago, Asus don't write the drivers themselves in-house; they rely on Oxygen (company behind the C-Media chip on the Xonar cards) to deliver drivers and fixes, which later get the Asus software attached to them.

I'm not sure quite what the situation is; but using the unified drivers generally works out better for most people in my experience.

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Cheers for that Goodbytes. It's no hardship for me to switch the speakers with the headphones via the soundcard at the back of the case so i'll just do that :thumb:

8. Parge

Well I installed the official drivers yesterday, and they seem to be working ok.

Apart from the fact they view my rear speakers as side speakers which is driving me insane!

9. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

i use unified driver, because i had problem with official drivers crashing Skype, it's been fixed now. but never really had problems with unified drivers, so don't see any reason to change, yet.

10. Parge

By the way, the sound from these things is wicked! I was using the onboard sound and I'd forgotten how poor it is.

Which begs the question - why don't premium Asus motherboards come with Xonar chips onboard. I mean, if I'm paying nearly £200 for a P8Z68 Deluxe, then I expect Deluxe features and not the same realtek chip you put on the LE versions.

It's almost strange that you've put integrated an X-Fi software layer on your ROG boards. Surely it makes sense to stop paying Creative royalties for their substandard drivers (don't you realise, that's why everyone jumped ship to Xonar in the first place), and spend the money putting good quality hardware into your premium boards.

11. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

So well put this. The difference it when I had the Gene they made a bold statement having the Xfi on board and wondered the same thing. I only got the DG card but in game it made such a huge difference.

Using tapatalk2 on my HTC