1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp no worky :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bowmore, 22 Apr 2005.

1. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

hey, got a new set up - the problem is when installing xp it gets to a point and then starts all over again.

it passes the harware inspection phase, gets to loading the first set of files ( where you can install sata drivers ect), passes that - format section works then it loads another set of files - then at the end says it has to reboot, i say ok then instead of continuing it starts the whole process again :(. its not the hard drive as ive tried both and ide drive and sata dirve. ive tried taking the disk out when it reboots. so im stumped. please help

set up :
    AMD 3000+ 64bit 939
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D PCI-Express Motherboard
    HIS x800 xl 256mb
    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX CAS2
    and im Trying to install windows xp professional.

2. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

well you should take out the disk, I think it says so. Hmmm what if any partitions, you made? NTSF? FAT32 or whatever. Maybe thats the problem.

I wish you luck

3. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

thanks for the reply - no i have not made any partitions.

im searching for any hints of what it could be.
    all ive come up (and it is lame) is that when you change your boot order and put cd ist - when a cd is in the drive you usually get this message "press any key to continue" (if it sees a bootable cd) well i dont get this - i just goes straight into the cd, i tried setting the hdd to first and cd to second but no success. so my only thought is that its not getting the chance to go "oh look there seems to be an xp install allready on the hdd lets finish it"

you think that could be it? :eyebrow:

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's quite a common problem when installing Windows, the install procedure really hammers your RAM so if there is a slight problem there you won't get be able to install.

Common fixes are, try with one stick of RAM, change the RAM slot used, or even try with different RAM, this will most often allow you to complete your install, and afterwards you can put your RAM in as before and should work with no problems.

5. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

ok well i tried it with one stick and it did it, i changed the slot aswell, but i havnt tried using different ram. so i shall try that, thanks :)

6. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

well nope that didnt work, i tried taking the disk out aswell and just says system disk boot failure :(

7. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

checking my bios and it doesnt seem to detect the ide drive, although it detects it in windows. you tinhk that might be it? cause if it doesnt detect it then how will it be able to check the hdd for the xp installation.............

8. Pita^Norf

Pita^Norf What's a Dremel?

In your 1st post you say it gets past the initial installation and fails to enter the GUI stage so I don't your HDD is the problem - try removing the installtion CD when it reboots and if it comes up with a msg saying something to the effect "no boot device found" then its because the mobo can't find the HDD.

Device boot order should be Floppy>CD>HDD and should prompt you to boot with CD.

Are you overclocked or running eveything at stock? Try the latter if you are OC'ed.

Have you tried diff Mem, GFX, and HDD cables?