1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by longdon, 20 Nov 2006.

1. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

When starting up I get a message saying "Windows cannot find or the file is corrupted windows/system32/config/system" It also says it might be able to repair using the original windows disk and pressing r to repair or something. I managed to boot into safe mode and start the xp disk but pressing r didn't work and i couldn't find a repair option, so I don't think it's the OC, think I ended the wrong process when pressing ctrl-alt-del.

Any ideas on gettinkg this resolved.

System:
    E6400
    p5b deluxe wifi ap
    msi 7900gto
    samsung spinpoint 250gb
    LG dvd rewriter
    Tagan 580w modular

I have oced it by changing fsb to 400 and ram to ddr-533
    Oh yeah running SP2
    Appreciate any help.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You do need to repair or reinstall, if the CD cannot find your original install you may need to full re-install.

If you follow the standard install process to when it selects the drive, select the one you had installed to, if it doesn't ask you if you want to repair then you cannot.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

With OC'ing you probably have messed some files... Like DougEdey said, try a repair, if that fails, a reinstall will be needed.

4. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Yes but where is the option to repair do I select install and follow that through? Also I wouldn't have thought it would be the OC cause I terminated a process in windows which i don't i should have wouldn't it be that? Also if I reinstall windows wont it ask for my key and I have already validated this version, so will I get windows telling me its not a genuine copy?

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Just boot your XP cd, and it gives you 3 options after all the drivers have been loaded, Repair, Reinstall and Cancel. Repair is your first bet ;)
    That could be the case, but not likely. Windows won't let you kill needed system processes.
    Yes, you'll have to input your key upon reinstall. But normally it won't give you any troubles reactivating. If it does, it offers a free number wich to call, so that you can activate manually.

EDIT: DougEdey, you beat me to it yet again ;)

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The repair option you want isn't the first one.. basically, if it gives you the option to do a repair install, you press r after you press F8 to agree to the license. The initial r option takes you to the recovery console.

8. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

However, it sounds like that option isn't showing up for him, and that means the option is unavailable.

9. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

I can still boot into safe mode, but when trying to boot from Windows Setup it says it is missing ntldr. something like that. Please help!

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd possibly reset your overclocking in the bios or reset the cmos. It sounds like it's having real bother loading gubbins into memory.

11. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

I have reset the OC, first thing I did.

12. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

ntldr is a file in the drive used as a boot. When i accidentally deleted it i used a ubuntu live disk and simply copied it back onto boot drive. Seemed to work for me. Happened a long time ago though so cant remember exactly

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

ntldr is the name of the Linux bootloader I tought... Like Linux has Lilo or Grub...