1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP quick launch icons

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by October, 5 Aug 2010.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

Did a reload of my 5 year old laptop a couple of days ago and its working fine apart from me not being able to have quick launch icons without a double-height taskbar :grr: Anyone come across this before or know a fix? There weren't any quick launch icons after the reload and I can't drag anything into the space now. If I enable it in the toolbar section of a taskbar right-click the taskbar goes to double height! Arrggh!

Also, does anyone know if a manufacturer recovery disk (what I used for the reload) would work on a new hdd? I could do with a bigger one...

2. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

yes it should work on a new HDD, which laptop manufacturer is it?

As for the quick launch issue, never experienced that before.. strange

3. October

October Mariachi Style

It's a Toshiba Tecra A4. 50Gb just isn't enough any more :lol:

4. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

:) yeah the recovery media should still work with a new HDD, if not just grab an oem disc of your OS and use the license key on the underbelly of the laptop

edit: (that's if your version of XP is OEM, if its retail you will need the appropriate disc obv.)

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Unlock the taskbar, enable the quicklaunch toolbar, drag it around to a different orientation, drag the height of the taskbar to make it smaller, then lock the taskbar.

6. October

October Mariachi Style

Doesn't work, for the quick launch to be there at all makes it double height, no matter where the bar is. It's bizarre...the icons aren't the normal quick launch size even when they're there either, they're hte same size as the normal desktop ones.

I thought of just using a ordinary XP install for a while when I couldn't find my recovery disk but I held off on account of my housemate. He tried 7 on his laptop, it ran a bit slow so he went back to XP only to find he couldn't find half the drivers he needed for specific bits of hardware on his laptop. I only just found all the drivers I'd need on the Toshiba site tho so I'll not have that problem :D

Wierdly they don't have a display driver though - they only offer one for a go6600, mine came with a Mobility x800...

7. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Large icons are an option but shouldn't appear by default.
    Right click the blank area in the Quick Launch bar, hover over "View" and make sure there's a tick against "Small Icons"