1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP reboots after "loading windows xp"

Discussion in 'Software' started by B.Psycho8, 24 Dec 2004.

1. B.Psycho8

B.Psycho8 What's a Dremel?

Alright, so i just installed xp and sometimes right after windows finishes loading its self it doesnt go to the logon screen but i head a little click and it reboots itself. Everytime this happens i boot into safe mode and it boots fine, reboot my computer again and it boots fine. It seems to happen randomly. Anyone had this happen to them or know of any solutions?

2. B.Psycho8

Well, no one has replied but I have a little bit more information. I have still been getting these random restarts and a boot into safe mode will get my next boot to work. When I looked at my system errors after the crash i had a DHCP error which I think is the cause of the crashes. It has been in my log after every crash. I am not sure if this is the cause of the crash, but if it is its got soemthing to do with my network? If anyone knows of anything similar happening, or any type of restarts just after loading windows having nothing to do with networks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. B.Psycho8

Ok, well it just happened again and when windows booted it gave me the "windows has recovered from a serious error" message. the log was as follows
    Error code 0000007f, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000
    source was simply "system error". Gah im so stuck i just reformated this pc :duh:

4. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Hmmm. I can give you some basic advice, but it may not help much. If you suspect your network connection to be the problem, you could always try removing / disabling the network card, and see if it stops the problem.

I had a PC once which had a faulty memory stick. The POST check didn't detect it, but it caused random software corruptions and crashes, either during boot up or while running windows. I only found it by removing all my hardware, running a basic setup, (just the mobo, graphics card, hdd and 1 RAM stick) and gradually building the computer up again. Putting the RAM stick in another PC caused it to go mad instead, proving that this was the culptit.

Also, is your PC overclocked? Overclocking can cause weird faults like this, even if the CPU is not overheating. If you have overclocked, slow the PC back down to the correct speed, and see if it makes a difference.

One other possibility - could it be a driver issue? Windows could be installing a generic driver for your hardware, which your hardware doesn't like. You could try installing all the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset, graphics card etc, and see if that improves things.

5. B.Psycho8

Yay someone replied :D
    well here is some background info.
    im running a p4 3.0 ghz not overclocked, 1 gig of ram and a 9800 pro.
    I googled the log of the system error and alot of people had memory problems, but i did a memtest and it seems fine, i can't see how my memory would be bad either considering ive had it a bout 4 months and it has worked fine, ive done no overclocking with it, and have not touched it since.
    I read about a problem in windows 98 where if you had over 512 MB of ram this would happen if you did not add some lines to the system.ini file but i really dont think that could be it either.
    I have pretty muched ruled out a network problem as of now, but when i examined my system error logs again i found this one-
    The Ndocsen service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    I have come to the conlcusion that this could very well be my problem, but i have absalutely no idea what this is! A quick search on google revealed nothing at all. does anyone know what this service does? :confused:

edit:While looking through my services, i found Ndocsen, but i cannot disable it, it saiys it cannot be found. There is no description of the service. How else can i trash this service? im pretty sure this is my problem

Last edited: 28 Dec 2004
  6. B.Psycho8

OK, so I've discovered my problem :D its my 9800 pro drivers. This would explain why i could constantly boot into safe mode. I happily removed my omega drivers to find that my computer booted fine 11 times in a row. problem solved! or so i thought... I reinstalled the omega drivers and right after i restarted to complete the instilation my computer restarted after "loading windows" as usual. Ok, i thought to me self, I'll just install ATI's drivers. I removed the omega drivers in safe mode, and downloaded ATI's drivers and installed them. After the restart my computer would once again, not boot into windows. It seems to me like windows is refusing to boot with any drivers installed. Only option left seems to be reinstalling windows :waah: . Hopefully that will solve my problem :waah: :grr:

7. B.Psycho8

Well i did a repair install before completely reinstalling windows and everything seems to be fine. I dont know why whatever was happening was happening, but not its fixed :D .
    PS-I just realized that this post is mostly just me tlaking to myself...go me lol

Tags: