1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Xpenology?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arboreal, 7 Oct 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Rather than derail the freenas/unraid thread, I see that Xpenology had been suggested for a NAS.
    I have a s775 shuttle to play with or an H61 board that has 2 SATA ports only (no slots to add SATA with), so would want to boot from USB.

I looked at the Xpenology source and quickly got lost in detail.

A straightforward recommendation of version and installation and things to look out for would be handy please.

I may well end up getting an N54L Microserver if it works well

Thanks

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Its a pretty easy install.
    If I remember rightly from when I installed on my Microserver, I just downloaded the XPEnoboot ISO put it on a USB using Rufus.
    On first run you can set up the install. Then once it's all on you can seek it on your network using the same method for a normal Synology NAS and finish up the install

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Guide here

Ignore the the French in some of the screen shots, the instructions are pretty straightforward.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Guys, much appreciated. Interesting little exercise to see if I like the ecosystem.

Spreadie, that's really handy thanks fella.
    Even I can follow that. I'll have a crack at it when I have a spare moment to throw together a dummy 2 drive rig.