Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skulth, 26 Aug 2015.
Get well soon .... looking forward to seeing this complete once you're completely mended !
big desk update coming tonight.......
So I broke my wrist. which when dealing with concrete and large pieces of wood is pretty rubbish deal. To make things worse for me I got my new car the day before the break so had to sit and look at it for 6 weeks......
so pretty damn annoyed.. now I can drive, this thing rocks...
say hi to the broken arm..
say goodby to the broken arm...
had to wear this thing for 2 weeks.
I did have these 2 to help me through this hard time though and the wife.....
Anyway.....some desk news....
While in the cast I spent some time buffing the surface up to a high shine.
so went from this.
Its a little hard to see but the surface has gone much less dull and it pretty much a like a mirror finish if that makes sense. Plus the colour is generally a dark colour and much closer to the final black colour I was looking for.
Also played with some ideas for repeating units to make my case from. So the final idea I came up with the idea of the the following. the case is going to be made from 50/60 of these bad boys.
I would also like to share some of the other projects no computer related I have finished in the last 6-12 months.
By far the 2nd biggest project I have done (the desk been the biggest) as the acid staining of the kitchen, hall and utility concrete floor. When we moved in to the house there was only a concrete floor. tiling was going to cost over £3000. So I looked at cheaper ways of doing it. As the money was alittle drained from buying the house. I found that I could acid stain the concrete and then put an epoxy resin on the top.
The images above show the final result. I had to grind the top layer off the concrete floor as the builders had used a latex topper on the concrete. I then cleaned the surface and applied a uniform coat of a "coffee" acid stain to the floor. after about 4ish hour I then strayed a 2nd colour "ebony" in patches over the top. This was then neutralised after a further 4 hours with a weak sodium hydroxide solution. Area was fully cleaned and allowed to dry for 48hours. The epoxy was then rollered on the top. I am very happy with the final result as floor is actually pretty warm considering its concrete. I think the small epoxy coat has added an insulting layer.
All in all the whole floor cost £300 but then includes a hire of a small handheld floor planar and a couple of other bits. The actual chemicals came in at under £150. The key bit from this is the inspiration this gave me to go on a then make my polished concrete desk.
In the kitchen we then did some final touches around the place.
The tree my brother did. It was inspired from the design he used from inspired from the theme me and Gail used at our wedding. All he really added was the 2 cats. The light fitting was something I had to rewrite completely as when we brought it in turkey the wiring was less than ideal.
That's it till tonight I have to crop down the next batch of images hoping this will be tonight (the desk is in the house and assembled). As normal any question let me know and I will try my best to help.
happy your wrist heals (been there and I know is a real PITA).
The concrete desk surface has become exactly the same as the pavement of the italian noble house that I've told you. Gorgeous! I also like very much the outcome of the job on the floor of your kitchen, it has a leatherish warmth that rocks! And is cheap too!
So get of off your brand new car and send us big updates!
Glad to hear things are on the up !
Now get on with it
Duude. I've done tile for years at ~50 cents a square foot. -Something's off.
so just before I broke my wrist I got to the stage of the wood almost been sorted to support the desk.
I got the front leg made
I i fit it all together before I did the final sand and stained the would.
So i then went and broke my are so sanding and staining had to wait.....really didnt want sawdust inside my cast.
Now I am out of the cast I have sanded and stained.
Screwed the back baord to the wall
been very careful as the main fuse box for the house was behind this...
then added the concrete
cut alittle out of the window sill. not happy about the poor fit. i measured something wrong.... these thing sometimes happen.
today I have been cutting the surrounds for the plug sockets and side pieces. Will spray them black this week. Looking for a brush metal effect so will have a play with some of the off cuts.
Some I am on the final small bits now for the desk its self. on to the case to be mounted on to the wood. I am still finalising the design. Will have that done this week but will be made from lots of them wooden hexagons pictured earlier.
I glued to boards together and cut them in to 20mm strips yesterday on my dads bench saw. need to cut then down to my small blocks and them start to glue....
so until later this week thats it.... update coming soon. Hoping this will all be finished april/may now.
That wood design on your case will look fantastic, but boy will that be a lot of work! Good luck, and great work so far!
Separate names with a comma.