1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Yakuza 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kiytan, 16 Jun 2010.

1. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I just picked this game up, and i have to say, it's really, really good.

It's a wierd blend of a JRPG and GTA. You wonder around tokyo (no vehicle driving) and people will randomly pick fights with you/try to mug you. The combat system is pretty good, its nearer to a beat 'em up than anything.

Just wondered if anyone else has played it?
    (and god damn some of the boss fights hurt)

2. oscy

oscy Modder

I specifically searched 'Yakuza' and am pleased at least one person is aware of this.

The only proper similarity to GTA is how big the game is in the East. As big as GTA is in the West, if not bigger. Its game world is realistic recreations of Japan with actual brands and stuff clamouring to get included in, and in the East it has merchandise coming out the ass.

Fanboys probably say this about every game, but Yakuza (Yakuza 3 especially) is one of those games that hardly anyone knows about, yet those who play it think it's great, perhaps one of the best in the genre. There's even an article where three actual Yakuza (not just lowly thugs) played the game and were impressed with its accuracy.

The only reason you don't know about this game is that it was published by Sega. It seems like nearly every game I never heard of but enjoyed was published by Sega. Also, they stopped shipping to the West after Yakuza 4, even though Yakuza 5 is its much championed overhaul of the series with more dicking around than ever before. **** Sega. At least PS3 is region free.

I'll leave it at that in case no one posts in this thread ever again, in which case I'd just be babbling to myself.