1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete yet another "cheap" & quick birthday computer

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Osgeld, 1 Sep 2020.

1. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Yea so after the Fortnite build I got another gig for that kid's cousin and a slightly less restrictive budget so I am building new. Its going to be a 1080 lower end gaming machine but I have an all in budget of 600$ But ya know, I have to touch it so here we go.

First thing on the list is the fan on the cpu cooler, it has to be cause none of the other parts are going to be here for another couple days. I had actually bought this old stock cooler master hyper 101 for my garage computer (yea the one I mangled a wraith spire onto) Box says intel blah blah blah AM2/3.

What I didn't notice is the little checkmark on the box that said Hyper 101i and of course there's an A model and that means what mounting kit you get (how flippin cheap is that come on) anyway I had it around, its brand neeeeeew, its overkill for the 65watt CPU going in the machine and the CPU doesnt come with one.

Not much can be done but stock this thing comes with a 80mm non pwm fan, I have a brand new 80mm pwm fan, I know I can take apart that brand new fan, and I have a can of paint that will produce the bright green and black look of this build

20200831_164126_HDR.jpg
    20200831_191901.jpg

Case should show up Tuesday or maybe Wednesday, and the rest of the gear will be here by the end of the week.

Let the fun begin on another quick mod to blow a kid's mind

Flux likes this.
  2. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

So I got this DIY PC case, ya know those terrible super cheap cases that look like they took an old e-machines mold and changed the color black? Yea those cases but this one is actually interesting

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353199?Item=N82E16811353199

for 35.99 you get
    Front airflow!
    PSU basement!
    Tempered glass side panel!
    Free (cheap as possible) 120mm rear fan!

Theoretically you can actually use AIO's in there as well, there's 2 120 vents on top and 3 on the front but my god even one would be tight. This case is tiny for something that holds a full ATX motherboard but you could do it. There's jack for cable management space, and the ssd mounts colide with the fans / rad if you install them on the inside, and mine came with a bent up 3.5 inch tray ... but 35.99, basement, real glass! Kind of impressed and its not all that flimsy, everything has been bent and bossed so its pretty sturdy even though you could tear the metal with your hands.
    20200902_182222.jpg

Anyway I got it, ripped its face off, took its fan apart and masked for paint.

20200903_093720.jpg

I try to do a quick coat of the base color first, that way if there's paint bleed under the tape, at least its black.

20200903_094126.jpg

And a few coats of color later

20200903_175410.jpg

3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

newegg shipped in two shipments, the case came from Indiana, which is fairly close to me and arrived late Wednesday night, the goodies came from California, and lets say its basically 1 state away from shipping from the most western state in the USA to the most Eastern state, for for you more picky type 3476 K from city to city. so that took an extra day (ordered Saturday, was prepped Sunday, shipped on Monday, arrived on Thursday)

for a fun side note, never sign up for the UPS enhanced tracking, that **** was infuriating and amazing at the same time. That truck, which had a delivery window of 7am to 11:30 am slipped to 3:30 pm, to "before 9pm". Watching that little icon on the map be only one road away from my house, then refresh to an hour away was maddening. You can imagine my amazement when it happened 5 times in a single day!

Usually I do not care but I have been at home for 3 weeks with a newborn, and the deadline for this PC is next weekend AND I go back to work next week ... I want this done before Monday. Watching that stupid little truck icon deliver one road down, then go the wrong way to the other side of the city then come back up, and turn back 2 roads down then back to the other city just about made me flip my...

Anyway here is the lootbox

20200903_182808.jpg

• GIGABYTE B365M DS3H WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel B365 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    • Intel Core i3-9100F Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo)
    • Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
    • GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
    • Thermaltake Smart Series 430W Power
    • 3 pack o 120 mm fan's
    • fan splitter
    after some moar paint and assembly dodging feeding times nap times for both my new daughter and my wife, and keeping the 4 year old daughter entertained I got this far today

20200904_211240.jpg

20200904_211221.jpg

still more to do, one thing that I love about power supply windows is they can show off that you have a BA power supply worthy of bragging about, but not in a 35$ case, heck not in a 100$ case

I got the value pro, its cheap but just above garbage white label thermaltake, I dont need a window for that, it will be taken care of soon.

And honestly IMO it needs mo GREEN

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You're not that guy on Armslist that spray-paints guns and tries to sell at a $1000 markup, are you? I recognize the green. :lol:
    -Just kidding, you didn't get overspray on everything.

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

No in reality after shipping and taxes i am only getting 500% (or was that 5% dang it I forgot my zeros in my quote)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

7. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Finished, I added a masked and painted accrylic plate to cover up the power supply hole and add a bit more green, I call this the TBBP (technobabble bullshi+ plate). I had another idea to add some more green on the top of the PSU cover, it looked nice but never worked out so I omitted it. It was about that time the ADATA SSD started crapping out so I had to run out to "big box" and overpay for a sandisk SSD.

I dont think the ADATA is bad per say I think I broke something when plugging it in as the sata connectors on this brand new power supply have a kung-fu death grip and I tried installing it while still in the case, and its a funky placement etc.
    20200907_114450.jpg 20200907_114413.jpg 20200907_114425.jpg