1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Yet another server build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saspro, 28 Apr 2011.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Due to a drive failure in my current server (raid 5 volume backed up to a nas so data is safe anyway) & the release of home server 2011 I've decided to redo my home media server.

Kit I'm going to reuse (so far) is:
    bluray/hddvd combo drive
    Card reader

Kit available:
    Msi am3 mobo
    Phenom 2 965 processor
    4gb standard ddr3
    9500 12 port raid card
    5x 2tb drives
    2x 1.5tb drives
    3 port raid card
    5000x2 amd chip am2
    3800x2 amd chip am2
    some random am2 semperon
    Msi k9a2 mobo
    P4 3ghz chip
    Supermicro 775 board
    A pile of ddr2
    Various low power gfx cards
    & all cables, some old cases, other smaller hdd's (500gb etc)

I need to run windows on it, home server 2011 is my preferred choice (already have this), server 2008r2 or similar is also available. I will be running mymovies & remote access from it. SQL will be installed. I have all the other softwarei think I need from my last box.

So far I'm thinking either:
    Phenom, 4gb ram, mirrored 1.5tb for os & photo storage etc, 5x 2tb in raid 5 for other data (approx. 4tb data mainly music & video projects I need to store), running server 2008/2011

Or

Same setup running vmware with virtualised windows on it

Or

Use the supermicro board with either the p4 or a celeron with a similar setup (as it has pci-x slots on it for full bandwidth from the raid card)

Or

Use an i7 920, p6t & 6gb ram with either server or vmware (have this as well)

Or

Fudge the raid card in to the atom board I have (haven't checked clearance yet)

I'd like this to use as little power as possible as it'll only be for storage and a small amount of streaming to the htpc's however it has to be 64bit & I may want to use the live transcoding facilities of home server 2011.

What do you think?