1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Yet another Vista or not to Vista thread....

Discussion in 'Software' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 14 May 2008.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Currently running XP Pro (32), and wondering if it's worth the upgrade to Vista (64). I'm planning on doign a fresh format soon anyway so should I bite thebullet and go for it?

Heres my current rig:
    -E6300 (at 2.6ghz)
    -Asus P5B (vanilla)
    -8600GTS
    -2gb Crucial Ballistix
    -2x Spinpoint 250gb SataII
    -Samsung SyncMaster 920NW

Now I'm not planning any upgrades to this rig, it does everything I want it too and I'm not a massive gamer anymore (except for FM2008). It's a fairly middle of the road setup and I want to know if I'll see any real benefits by moving over to Vista and moving to 64bit? Or if infact I'll likely expereince a slow-down given my current setup?

Cheers guys, let the argument commence!

Last edited: 14 May 2008
  2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

only if you've got the money to spare (or are an evil nasty filthy software pirate). there is nothing wrong with vista, if it came included on a new machine i would keep it, but it is not worth paying for if you have already bought xp.

i doubt you'll notice any speed difference on that setup, but vista definitely won't be faster.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

My old mans company purchase multi-lisecne copies for all of their office computers (I work for them part-time so am on the books as an employee) so the cost isn't an issue...and no filthy software pirating either.

4. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I'll keep looking at Vista as Win ME ver.2. It's all about waiting for MS to release the next OS that'll persuade me (like XP). But at the same time I'm hoping that MS looses their iron grip on the market and that there will be some very capable linux distros ready to take over.
    I'm running ubuntu, osx and windows and the more I use different OSs the more I see and hope to see platform independence.
    Sorry that was kind of off topic.

A real down-to-earth advice would be to go for Vista 64 if you want a little future-proofing and in case you want to run with 4GB RAM or use DX10 etc. There are many reasons to switch to Vista but backwards compatibility is what makes or breaks the deal. Check if your stuff has Vista drivers to see if you need to throw it away and buy new in case of an upgrade.
    I have a USB scanner from Canon which there is no reason in the world should not be Vista compliant but because Canon have ditched "us" there's no getting away from XP until I buy me a new scanner. (And yes I've tried jumping through all the hoops and it's dead in Vista.)

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

If you can get the license for free then you might as well give it a go. I like Vista, initially I was unsure but now run Vista x64 all the time. :)

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No offence, but haven't we been over this ground already (and over, and over...)? Just use the forum search, read the done-to-death arguments, and then make up your mind.

I mean, most people have already made up their mind anyway before they even ask this question. You already have. So go on, switch. You know you want to. It's all good.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Nexxo - true, but most threads i've read are people with 8800, p35 baords and a Q6600....etc.

I was more after what the experience would be like given my lesser setup, whether I'll experience any slow downs etc compared to XP performance given the above hardware.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dual core 2.6Ghz CPU? It should fly.

For comparison, I have Vista on a dual Opteron 250 (2.4Ghz) with a Radeon X1650Pro which frankly is nowhere near a nVidea 8600GTS. No speed issues here, trust me.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have a very similar setup to Nexxo, and it flies here too.

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'm still undecided, XP definitely feels faster, and I don't like the way Windows Photo Gallery chops off a big chunk of the top and bottom of screen when viewing a picture, I need to look into another picture viewer for Vista. And for a way to turn off it asking my to Allow and continue things all the time, and why it wont run some programs at startup and instead just tells me it hasnt run them and askes would I like to run them, yes, yes please there in the startup folder for gods sake :( Also programs that don't work Peerguardian 2 for instance, crappy setpoint mousedrivers that mean when alt tabbed from a game or game minimised the back button on the mouse will not work, makes playing eve and browsing a real pain. Still it addresses all my memory and looks rather fancy, hurm wheres my XP disc lol :D

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If you're worried about speed, my AthlonXP 2600+ with 1Gb RAM and 9800Pro 256Mb (ATI!!) runs it like a dream.

Not x64, obviously, but still...

12. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

I run Vista x32 on my laptop. Core Duo 1.86 Ghz, 1gb memory and integrated Intel graphic... I would not say it flies but it runs fast enough that it is not an issue. I run home premium by the way.

13. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

Turn off UAC
    control panel>User Accounts>Turn user Account Control on or off> untick use user account control
    (UAC) to help protect your computer then press OK and reboot.

this should fix these problems

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Installing XP Pro about 3 hour ago fixed all my problems hahaha :D

Tags: