1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You asked - we listened, the new team folding pages in CPC

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 16 Jun 2011.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hi team

As the subject line says, we all had a discussion over the last couple of months about the new layout of the folding pages in CPC.

I'm pleased to announce that therefore from Issue 96 onwards, the folding pages have been expanded and now have a revised layout.

The things to look forward to are:

1. More space for the folder of the month interview and accompanying photos.
    2. Expanding the 'top 10 producers' and 'top 10 overall' tables to 'top 20'.
    3. More entries in the milestones table, to encourage more readers to start folding.

Thanks for all your feedback, I hope you enjoy the new improved folding pages next issue.

2. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

Thank goodness it wasn't any earlier else you would have had a mugshot of ME!:jawdrop:

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Thank you! Am looking forward to reading this this weekend....

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Glad to hear you like reading CPC. The changes I mention are in the next issue though (#96), which hasn't gone to the printers yet.

i.e. Issue 95, the one that just came out has the same layout as Issue 94.

5. Tattysnuc

Arrrgggghhh!

Thought you meant the copy that had just landed. Oh well. Just as well that's a good read. Dremel supertest or something...

6. Tattysnuc

Thinking about it, how does the stats get compiled each month? It must be a pig of a job for someone to capture all that data from Extreme overclocking each month...

I've had a query emailed to Jason over there for ages to be able to extract all the team data (ie all the data for all the users in a team between a set of dates) and had no reply, so I could do some statistical analysis, but no reply even. It's like it's a ghost forum.... (on extreme overclocking that is)

#Correction#
    Jason emailed on 13th and I didn;t see it.

He says...

"The CSV is more for an individual that wants to download their entire history to run a detailed analysis. It takes a while to generate the data (as I'm sure you noticed) and is somewhat server intensive.

The XML is more for mass-querying as it provides the basic instant data that is visible on the regular pages.

No, I don't have anything setup to download the entire history of all the users for a team... That would be a *lot* of data and processing.

I've had a couple requests, but haven't had the time to code it, where people were asking if I could output the user XML, but for the entire team. That is definitely feasible. How you would take that to import into Excel I do not know. However, being XML it should be rather easy to manipulate / import."

So I guess If you want to extract all the sales data, for all the team, it would have to be done on a per user basis, which is horrible job.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Thank you, I look forward to the new layout.

8. SpeckleD

SpeckleD What's a Dremel?

Fantastic, :clap: I must applaud you, not many mags will listen to the readers and take action in this way, one more reason for me to continue reading a quality mag, keep up the good work.

9. BonaSwirl

BonaSwirl Doesn't pay the electricity bill

I'm looking forward to another issue of CPC even more now :D Hopefully I'll get a mention on the milestones page :lol:

10. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Great news, thanks for listening :)

11. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Thanks James, glad you've responded positively to the concerns raised when the new format was introduced.

Interesting that the number of active members folding for the Team has dropped to 540 since the end of the CC even though a top 20 finish still needs approx. 60K PPD.

Lets hope the latest changes will encourage more folk to start folding (again) :sigh:

12. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Nice one :)

13. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Oh God .... all I can say is you might need to cover your eyes folks! :D

Great to see F@H getting the space it deserves, though if I'm honest it could do with moving back to its original spot nearer the front of the mag, at the back it seems like it's almost an afterthought. Just my opinion though, still great changes :)

14. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

This is great news, but I agree with Craig that it was better at the front of the Mag. Still do not like the new mag size though:duh:

15. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Nice! I don't know what issue my Folder of Month was going to be in?

Got to get a copy for my Mum!! Teeheheh

16. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Yes, it is a pig of a job

17. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Nice one James, will make some of the members happy again and increase the awareness of folding for CPC readers :thumb:

18. Tattysnuc

I see what you mean now. Just finished reading 95 and it does look very sorry and sad. Glad to see that you're looking at that though now and addressing the community's comments.

I liked the article on the Dremels this month. Nice to see some of the other brands that are out there, and what the perceived differences are. Personally I picked one up in Aldi a couple of years ago for £25 and I've not looked back - my Dremel is the original battery powered one and is hopeless at doing any serious metalwork since I sanded the wheel arch of my car with it a few years back (10+). Suppose all good things come to an end.

Regarding SASPROS feedback about producing the charts each month being a pig, I've only just found the links to the stats details over on Stanford's site. most seem to have closed down (I guess those EOC's service pretty much does all that you'd need) but I did find that

http://www.hardfolding.com/fh_stats/index.php?pz=101&tnum=35947

has the milestones listed which if you didn't know about it might simplify the process... Sorry if i'm telling you something you already know about...

19. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

That's what I like, a mag that actually listens to its readers. What more could you want? :thumb:

I still think F@H was better placed at the front of the mag but hey, three out of four ain't bad.

Lets hope it raises the team profile and encourages more people to fold.

Thank you James.

20. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

This is wonderful news, The crippled F@H section in the new CPC layout was my biggest gripe, glad to hear the team will get a little more love..... off to start a hello thread. :)

J.