1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL You Dirty Processor!

Discussion in 'General' started by infekted.one, 19 Jan 2011.

1. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

holy crap... you're gonna have machine fetishest around this thread soon rubbing their hands going "mmm... you're a dirty cpu... oh yes you are" trust me

infekted.one likes this.
  3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Meh those were the days. It was crazy hard not to make a mess about installing a socket-A cooler. The main problem was the freaking idiotic cooler mounting, including the plastic clips, screw drivers and lots of tension on a naked chip the side of a finger nail.

Compared to everything else you could screw up, having some residual what-ever-you-claim-it-is doesn't seem too bad :D

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Jipa, they were called aluminium CPU shims, and they were your friend. If you'd known about their existence :hehe:

Damn seeing Athlon XP chips brings back memories. I ran a voltmodded, liquid cooled XP 3200+ alongside a full gig of RAM for a great couple of years before getting my first single core Athlon 64. Those were the days!

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Ahh. Memories of crushed dies and burnt out chips.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh I'm well aware of those. But where's the fun in that? :dremel:

7. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Man I loved the thoroughbred Athlon range!

I ran the epic xp 1700+ at a whopping 2700mhz all day! Up from stock 1433 IIRC!

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

WELCOME TO CUSTOP PC AFTER DARK:

ENJOY HOT FANLESS ACTION!

ALL SIZES OF RAM!

SLOT PROCESSORS!

ALL SOCKETS TO SUIT YOUR TASTES!

PCS JUST WAITING TO BE YOUR SERVER!

Ljs and Guest-23315 like this.
  9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Many reps were given.

10. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

Crazy thing is I have 2x 2800+ MPs Sitting on my Table as we speak, bring the glory days back, Anyone wanna swap sandybridge???

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

*rubs jean legs from top to bottom*

Ooooooooooooooooooo Maaaaatron! You're a dirty fellow

You're going to need a good rubbing down with some artic silver cleaner! :naughty:

12. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Washing up liquid is your friend :p

Cleaned quite a few of those processors with some Fairy and warm water. Never killed a chip either!

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

meh, i see your XP 3200+ and raise you my 2500 XP-M with 2Gb of memory running on the lary side of 2.8GHz, also backed up with a 6800GT with custom BIOS via Nibitor, taking the humble 6800GT to a dizzy 475MHz.

It raped my friends newly built SKT754 AMD 64 build, and even gave my eventual upgrade of a AMD 64 SKT939 3700+ Sandy a run for its money.

I liked those days, overclocking had an art to it, now its become a feature of all most all hardware!

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

A friend had an AMD based system with a Vapochill cooler. Killed quite a few motherboards due to condensation, but the overclocks were good.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I actually went back and looked through some old pics and purchase records :hehe: I had two Socket A machines at that time! I remember what the other one was for now, it was a "family PC" which I built for Mum and Dad to use because Mum was doing her Degree then. That was another very special chip. A naturally unlockable, week 20 XP 2500+ Barton. Oh man, I loved that machine so much. I ran it with a DFI Lanparty board and although it didn't get anywhere near as much use as my own overclocked XP 3200 (which ran at 2.8 GHz on the button, my new 2GHz A64 was not faster than it) it was an extremely good value for money chip. It overclocked like a dream and because it was pre "week 27" it was one of the very rare ones. I can't remember what frequency I had that one at. I do remember that it was on air cooling, using the biggest Socket A HSF I had ever used up to that time :D

Both those machines ran with a Gig of RAM and an ATI 9800 Pro supplied by Sapphire. I eventually upgraded my own rig to a 6600GT as well, and added a second Gig of RAM. I think that was when I moved to A64 though.

Yeah, I remember the Savrow Plutonium as being the very first VapoChill cooled commercial PC I'd seen. The Deuterium followed shortly after which was liquid cooled. As far as I can remember, both systems featured 4GHz P4's. Those really were the days when overclocking was an art. As Burnout quite rightly says, nowadays it's lost it's excitement factor and you can overclock pretty much any hardware. Gone are the days of hand picked chips which overclock much more than the rest of the bunch and "extreme cooling" to get them there, which is now just regular cooling. That's how it seems to me anyway.

Whilst I preferred the Barton chips for my own machines at home (and Thoroughbred had come and gone by the time I was moving away from my old '98 PIII), I built my fair share of Thoroughbred systems for others as well. Only the bravest, "hardcore gaming" or "extreme performance" customers like photo & video editors or graphic designers requested that I overclocked their new PCs straight out of the box :hehe: Remembering all this is making me extremely nostalgic :)

Last edited: 20 Jan 2011
  16. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

That is utterly filthy... hm I appeared to sprayed arctic silver everywhere.