1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your best games of 2016?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 30 Dec 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Me:

FireWatch
    WatchDogs 2
    MGSV

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Stardew Valley
    Firewatch
    Unravel
    Battleborn :waah: No really, the game itself is so good. A sad example of how bad marketing can screw up a great thing.
    DooT, sorry... Doom.
    Titanfall 2 (liked it more than the first one, though I got into that really late).
    Quantum Break I really enjoyed as it was totally the kind of show I binge on Netflix while gaming anyway. But screw the RNG for that last fight. Gah!

Also, if people are putting in games that didn't even come out this year: Destiny. Still addicted. Looking forward to Destiny 2. Will no doubt get it on XB1 and PC.

I actually forgot all about Carmageddon, which is awful considering what a Max Damage fangirl I was (had posters and mousemats and all that jazz). Don't think I even played it much in the end this year :(

Last edited: 30 Dec 2016
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Surprisingly I enjoyed:
    Far Cry Primal
    Gear of war 4
    Titanfall 2
    Portal 2
    Forward to the Sky
    Hardset Redux
    Zombi
    Trine 3

Last edited: 30 Dec 2016
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Carmageddon Max Damage
    Doom
    The Division

most overrated pos this year:
    titanfall 2

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

DOOM, by a country mile. :)

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Doom was good but not exceptional.
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst was also good but not exceptional.
    Mafia 3, yada ya snore snore.

Those were the three that deserve a mention for being somewhat reasonable, but nothing else really took me by surprise this year. Doom comes top, because I was expecting it to be a pile of runny plop but it was actually half decent.

I started playing Quantum Break and it has loads of promise but I just haven't played it enough to warrant giving it a top spot. Deus Ex was OK. Crap performance and very linear, though that may change later into the game. Didn't drag me in though.

I dunno, this hasn't been the best of years for games for me. Next year has a few promising titles for me though :)

I enjoyed the game but the graphics made me feel quite ill after about an hour, when I had had enough. I've never seen anything so blurry in all my life. Time I was done I had gone boss eyed.

7. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I haven't had a massive amount of time for gaming this year but I've two real highlights:

1. Total war Warhammer - I've really enjoyed this, the fantasy setting really works well for total war.
    2. Overwatch - as addictive as crack, absolutely brilliant.

Honourable mention:
    Warcraft Legion & Gears of war 4

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

turn off DoF in the options :thumb:

9. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Division and Rise of the Tomb Raider for me :rolleyes:

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hmm, don't think I've really enjoyed any games this year. I had fun on Planet Coaster, but the lack of management sim to it means it's a little shallow, feels a bit like just designing a park in Sketchup with set pieces you can edit as a result. You can make amazing things, but it's like having minecraft with only the creative mode.

So I'll put forward a game that was released earlier that I only picked up this year, Rocket League. It's probably the best multiplayer game I've played in years TBH. I love the simplicity of the concept and how accessible the game is. No stupid metas that need learning like every piece of tosh MOBA or games like Overwatch, just a simple set of mechanics with a gloriously high skill ceiling. Plus the matches are so short! I can sit and actually feel fulfilled by playing for 30 minutes. That's such a big deal, getting 5-6 games done in that time is amazing. Having to dedicate a big chunk of time to play a game fully is such a turn off for me now, so being able to still have fun in such a short time is great.

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Battlefield 1

Simply because it's takes me right back to playing BF2 with my pals again.

The weapons class system has been simplified to only a handful of guns and the scout class can 1 hit KO again.
    The vehicle are over powered but you can sneak up on them and blow them up with mines etc.
    The maps are great, Amiens reminds me of Karkand and the nade spam is ridiculous.

Only extra I wish they had added was the behemoth system from 2142 as a new game mode.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Best games I have played in 2016 are:

NFS Road Challenge
    GT Legends
    Forza Horizon 2
    Magicka

Thats all I have had time for since turning away from gaming, and focusing on whats actually important. This year I need to play more racing simulators like Richard Burns Rally and Asseto Corsa.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

In no particular order:

SUPERHOT
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    Doom
    Quantum Break
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

I've played a few other games, but these ones struck me as being particularly excellent.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

For me
    • Subnautica (had some significant updates in 2016)
    • Castle Story
    • Turmoil
    • Subsistence
    • Osiris: New Dawn
    • Dark Cloud 2/Okami/Kingdom Hearts 2 (Not 2016 but I missed out on them back in the PS2 days)

Most of these are early access but I've had little to no interest in any AAA titles this year tbh

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Combination of skint and rubbish PC meant my gaming was limited to stuff i already had or free-to-plays...

So... This week year i 'ave bin mostly playing...

[​IMG]

Star Trek Online
    EVE Online
    Mini Metro
    Gwent [Beta]
    Hearthstone
    Heroes of the Storm

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Doom and Titanfall 2.

Doom because I don't think I've played a game like that since Half Life 2. Such a detailed world and story with absolutely nothing to ram it in your face. It's all there, but you can just break out shotgun and ignore it.

Titanfall 2 because it reminded me Mirror's Edge with a more fluid move set. I desperately want someone to start building Mirror's Edge levels in Titanfall, or Pilot Run mods. The campaign is a speed running dream.

Honourable mentions:

Elite: Dangerous, logged more hours in this than any other game.
    Battlefield 3, since BF3 is the best game I play every year. Finally got my Level 100 bucket and GunMaster, only took five years... plop.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2016
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

My top 5 releases this year:

Doom
    CIV 6
    XCOM 2
    Dark Souls III
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is it really that good? It kind of passed me buy. I liked the first game

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is a good game, plus essentially the only entry in the genre since the first Mirrors Edge which helps it to stand out among the flood of games that got released, but unless you like the kind of game it is I probably wouldn't bother until you find it at a bargain price as it is just good, not exceptional.

20. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I didn't buy many games this year because of a lack of funds.

The thing I would consider exceptional would be the Skyrim mod 'Enderal'. A mod so good it's won several awards, including 'best user created content' at this years game awards. It's literally a new game, with it's own launcher and professional voice actors.

I also played FFXV and it has a lot of potential, but it's nowhere near to being the best of 2016.