1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your country's capital city

Discussion in 'General' started by herbs, 27 Jul 2007.

1. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I was recently on holiday and got into a conversation with a few people and was surprised to find out quite a few people have never visited their own country's capital city. I work in my capital city but haven't gone site seeing for a good 10-15 years. So if you haven't visited you capital city, why haven't you? is it a vast distance to travel there or just didn't feel the need.

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

London really isn't that interesting, a mess of old, new and dirty. Visited it a fair few times but not really to 'see' the capital.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

I've only been to London 4 times I think, and not once to do the touristy thing. Twice for school trips many years ago and so didn't see any of London - just went wherever we were going (museum or something?) and then left... and twice to Pall Mall for Gumball :D

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Edinburgh's crap.

5. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

Belfast: it is nice small but thats good becasue you dont have to walk far. Only 30 miles form me on the motorway and good for shopping and going out and mostconcert venues are there.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I wouldn't say that, every time I've been I've enjoyed it. :p

Been to London a few times, although it's a pretty nice place, and different to the norm, it's hella expensive and pretty dirty and grotty in many parts.

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Helsinki is beautiful!
    Moved here 4 years ago and have been sightseeing a lot. Still more to see and do so its not gone get boring any time soon :D

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Never been to London, but I always enjoy Edinburgh. Maybe it's because I'm always there at the Fringe festival, though? :hip:

9. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Only really goto london for seeing gigs. Closest I normally get is croydon. I'll admit London does have some nice bits, but if I need to go into a town, I'll goto somewhere a tad nearer, and easier to get around, like crawley or croydon.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The only time ive visited London was to catch a train out of London, mind you, i have visited Oxford Street, London Sea Life centre and some Astronomy shop that my dad went too.
    Im going up again soon to london so i hope i enjoy it.

Paris is nice, alot nicer than London, but thats what i remember anyway.

Sam

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My experience of both Scotland and the UK's(/Englands) capital city's is that, they're good cities to live in but they're not that wonderfull to visit. Edinburgh is a lovely place to live, I think it's one of the few cities that non-city people are likely to enjoy just because it feels very small and it's (imo) easy to get around in. London is a tougher city to live in for some people, quite a few people I know just can't handle the busyness, the tube at rush hour etc. Me, I love it but it's where I was born so I guess I would. It's the city I compare all others to, and it's pretty much what defines "city" in my head.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't visit their capital city. I've been to plenty of countries ones before, and it's they're generally very interesting places to go to, and if you live in a country chances are the capital isn't going to be that hard to get to (ok, exceptions for the US/Canada/Russia I guess, but even then it's not too hard).

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm in Edinburgh a lot, it's a beautiful city, but they do need to clean it up a bit, and fix the bloody roads.

13. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

My mum used to take my brother and I to London on our birthdays, to go and visit a museum - a different one each time, that's something that has stuck with us (my brother and I) as we have grown up, and we still try to do it once a year. It's just a little treat to break up the banality of adult life :).

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Born and brought up in London and i work in Central. Sure the city has issues and some people cant take the pace but i wouldnt change it for a second. its in the back streets where London really shines and has some secret gems.

15. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Lisbon is very, very confusing. I go there once or twice a year and I still don't know how to move inside it.
    IMAO, the north of Portugal is much better for a calm visit (Lisbon and Algarve aren't the only places worth visiting :D )

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Been to London a number of times, both for the site seeing and not. Never been to Berlin, would like to one day though.

17. fwalm

fwalm What's a Dremel?

Belfast is mine and well aint been to it that much it isnt all that great mainly be there for the football but thats about it

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Been to London quite a few times. Used to live in Cardiff, been to Edinburgh although I've not been to Belfast or Dublin.

I've also been to Beijing, Taipei, Rome (v.young and don't remember), Vienna aaaand that's all I can remember. Not been to Berlin even though I've seen other German cities and I've not been to DC even though I've seen Florida, Ohio and Detroit.

19. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I work in our capital city, so no accusations towards me I hope? ;)

20. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I have an incredibly strong apathy against Canada's astronomical political ineptitude. So I'd never go to Ottawa, except to meet "a friend".