1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Your current job?

Discussion in 'General' started by acsnet83, 1 May 2011.

1. Fluidic

Fluidic What's a Dremel?

don't have a degree learnt it all on the job have various high nvq's and a levels to support that but no degree.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm an Adult Tutor teaching IT with a local authority. I love my job, especially seeing people who were previously terrified of computers producing their own documents, newsletters etc. It's curiously fulfilling. I just wish I could have more hours out of it...

I'm also doing my PGCE/PCET one day a week and work with a management consultancy for another day a week, as well as doing some web design on the side.

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Gaming Buyer for a rather large retailer, a person who buys games (and accessories). I also manage the content team for the website aaaand manage events.

Degree: Business & Management

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A small supermarket. I kinda do everything. Cashier, putting stock on the shelves, cleaning.. You name it.

5. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Front End Web Developer - As much as i like the job, i would like to use my PHP skills. I joined an ASP only company so that blows everything i've learned so far with PHP. If i could find a similar job but using my php skills too, i'd go in a heartbeat. Higher wage, better learning curve etc.

6. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Job Title is Technical Consultant but Job is very varied. I modify screen reading software for the blind to work with clients software. Run the company website and do telephone tech support the rest of the time.

No IT qualifications or degree of any kind!

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ah, the mind of a Customer, Don't you just love it?

I also work in a supermarket. We've had a board sitting in our entrance area for the past 4 weeks with our opening hours for the 2 bank holiday weekends, So, come last Thursday, the most popular question was 'Are you open tomorrow?"

Sam

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Official Title: "Technical Engineer"

What I do: Tech support, first, second and third line for entire networks, usually small businesses.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I hold a Degree (BSc) in Product design, which is extremely similar to Industrial designer much in the same way Jonathan Ives is a designer. Identical job role, different title.

Currently designing pumps and dispensers for a chemical company amongst some other hush hush items for them...

Do I enjoy it, F**K yes!

10. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Thats just so funny!

Well where i work this is sometimes the questions i get asked.

"I need a white shirt"
    "what size..?
    "I dont know, could you tell me what size i am?"

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I design power supply & distribution units for Plasma Mass Spectrometers - mostly AutoCAD & Solidworks stuff.
    (The ion optics are a black art I leave to the company's founder.)

12. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Damn ive got a BEng in engineering product design and i cannot get a job anywhere

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

R & D tech is the handle I go by.
    I mostly fill my working days testing toys and such for their safety.

Enjoyable? Not as much as it was 10 years ago but it has its moments, and no it's nothing like 'Big'

14. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I work answering technical queries via email for small business customers as part of a large telecoms provider... and its waaay to easy for me.

I have a Masters in computer arts (3d environmental modelling) but have been completely unable to get a job that doesn't involve moving less than 300 miles. Been out of education for 3 years now, so I am pretty much un-qualified now. I have spent the last 3 years also property developing and I earn extra pennies as a landlord. Because of this I haven't spent any time doing 3d modelling for two years, and cannot remember a damn thing.

And because of my current job I am developing RSI, and can barely sit in front of a computer for more than 30 minutes now... let the job hunt begin.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

unemployed as I am about to leave university. I'll need a job asap, though

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm a Benefit Assessment Officer and soon to be Officer in the T.A. again :)

I do enjoy my job. But as most people know there are some moral issues within the welfare state of the UK that causes me a whole host of issues somedays.

As for the T.A. I love the forces, Reconsidering moving back there aswell.

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

At the moment I am a retail Manager in the mobile industry which I am really enjoying as I come from the sporting retail industry as a buyer. Came to this country 12 years ago but buying is who you know most of the time to get into that position again unless you start as a junior buyer.

Would love to get into the PC market somewhere in the future

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Utility arborist, dont get to play with a chainsaw though. Im a surveyor, basically i have to walk the overhead powerlines and categorise trees etc that require cutting and whether the power needs to be shut off to carry out the work.

I cover most of N.Lincs/yorkshire which means i get to walk some awesome countryside, but on the other hand i have been in some proper shitholes, Average 30-50kms a week and you wouldnt believe some of the abuse i get, But overall i enjoy it (especially with the weather atm)

19. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Im an officer in the Merchant Navy, working in the far north of the North Sea/Southern Arctic Circle

working on a search and rescue vessel. actually out there at the moment (Satallite internet is great lol) even get the chance for online gaming if im awake at the small hours of the night where everyone else asleep.

obviously need a full education for the job which involved 3 years studying Nautical Science and obtaining my Office of the Watch tickets.

20. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Full time student.
    Mechanical engineering is fun though, I am not complaining at all :D