1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Your favourite guitarist/s?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yotta, 17 Apr 2008.

1. alastor

alastor New Member

Eric Johnson, Hendrix obviously, Jimmy Page, the usuals...

Also going to say Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy, Adam Jones and Dan Auerbach for a bit of variety :p

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

no one mentioned Mark Knopfler? just listen to Sultans of Swing, and then realize that he NEVER uses a plectrum.

nice call on Johnny Marr.
    would have to add:

Bob Mould (esp. first solo album after Husker Du - genius)
    thurston moore & Lee Ranaldo
    Ed Crawford (fIREHOSE)
    J Mascis

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Mark Knopfler's a bit of a hero of mine for that very fact- I've never gotten on with plecs either but he's always given me hope that I can sound great without one :thumb:.

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Joe Perry and Slash (especially in estranged, amazing song) and Brad Paisley for country music.

5. ChromeX

ChromeX New Member

THERES ONLY ONE JOHN PETRUCCI!!! Though I used to really dig satch before he went all mellow and soft, still im looking forward to his gig in may! Vai is pretty awesome too, he played a crazy show when he visited manchester last year :thumb:

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

For those Satch fans out there he's got a new album just out.
    http://www.satriani.com/podcast/Satchafunkilus/
    Listening through it atm although from the title/album art it doesn't look like my sorta album, but I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover really...

7. Dizman

Dizman New Member

For me, it's toss-up territory between Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Zappa, and probably some others. Lately I've been listening to a lot of newer bands that don't really feature a crazy guitarist, but sometimes knowing what *not* to play is also hard.

8. Charel

Charel New Member

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Keith...

9. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Personally a fan of Herman Li(DragonForce) and John Petrucci(Dream Theatre)for modern stuff, as for the classics I'd say Hendrix is pretty hard to beat, although Jimmy Page is pretty awesome too. I have no ability to play guitar myself, although I wish I did.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX New Member

aww man, in one way I want to respect what you have to say (petrucci for modern stuff) but then ya say herman li, and I just think of all skill he doesnt have! Granted the guy can play fast without any feeling or rhythm, but hey why let that stop you! Sorry for sounding condescending, but i've been playing for 12 years I have my grade 8 and all that ****, its just when anyone talks about herman li, I just have this massive feeling to shout out how **** he is and how he cant play the simplest of sweep arpeggios for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9dl0UxoOY&feature=related but hey if it weren't for herman tring to be JP then DF would be an awesome band!!! Its a dam shame :(

11. nigelleg

nigelleg New Member

Randy Rhoads (Pity he died so young was amazing) Brett89 one song Dee I think it was maybe off blizzard of ozz

Jimmy Page

Angus Young for pure entertainement

I have too many.........

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

OOOO good call, how could I forget about Angus?! My fave band lol muppet alert.

For riffs that get your feet tapping then Angus is your man, also a good because his stuff is relitavely easy to play (some of the solo's are nuts granted).

When I'm listening to music I'm not really listening for the technicality of the guitarist, I go for the tone and way the songs make me feel. This is why I love Guns n Roses/Aerosmith/ACDC, it's feel good rock music to me and that's what I really appreciate.

13. Rebourne

Rebourne New Member

Jeff Loomis is currently my favorite among many many others.

14. Agent_M

Agent_M Member

15. Yotta

Yotta Member

Please don't take offence, Agent_M, but I really hated that first clip. Maybe funk-slap-bass or whatever it's called just isn't my thing, but it just sounded like a load of annoying and pointless tapping or clicking. I'm sure it's hard to do and technically brilliant, but it annoyed me so much I couldn't even make it to the end of the clip.

What's with the wrist-bands over the strings on the 6 string guitar?

J-J Burnel, now that's what I call a bass player.

16. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

17. TheCherub

TheCherub New Member

18. Dizman

Dizman New Member

I just saw Wooten a few weeks ago, and it was an amazing show. Not only is he an amazing musician (to say the least) himself, but he surrounds himself with amazing musicians when he plays. I don't think that clip really highlights his playing, yes it shows his technically impressive side, but he is not just technically impressive. I've been listening to this song nonstop since I saw him:

I thought this was interestingly one of his better solos:

19. Mattakadeimos

Mattakadeimos New Member

A lot of players use hair bands or wrist bands to reduce harmonic resonance. When playing that fast you don't have time to deaden the other strings by palm muting them or using your left hand to deaden the strings. Hence the use of hair bands. ;)

20. patrickk84

patrickk84 New Member

Herman Li of Dragonforce. The guy is amazing!

edit: and John Petrucci of Dream Theater.

Tags: