1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Human Footprint. Do you care?

Discussion in 'General' started by Thacrudd, 15 Apr 2008.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

every little helps.

I personally cant afford to do a massive deal - we recycle glass sometimes, dont have the heating on all the time, turn off stuff we aren't using - but i rent a flat so theres nothing we can do to the flat to make IT more efficient, we have a shared garden so really cant do much with it. I fill the kettle with only as much as I think I need and will use special lightbulbs when my stock of non-special ones run out :)

The real problem in all this is the US. They try and force other countries into treaties to reduce CO2 but dont agree to do so themselves. They think it their RIGHT to cheap fuel prices which is useless - what better way of encouraging a fat and lazy nation that making it easier for them not to do excersize? They are the biggest consumers, the most arrogant in terms of recycling and defending how they live, and standard of life almost always means stuff like air conditioning, electrical equipment, # cars per household etc. There is need for some of this I agree, and some of it is really nice, but at the same time there are things that aren't needed and this is what the US government should be trying to curb (hell, higher fuel taxes == more WAR MONEY! YAY!).

Last edited: 16 Apr 2008
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Make sure your home is insulated-check
    get double glazing-check
    change all the bulbs you can to energy efficient ones-check
    replace a knackered old boiler and fit a condensing one- not 100% sure but we got a new one not that long ago.
    get an A-rated fridge freezer and washing machine-check
    get a 'green' car that suits your needs-check average of 47mpg is pretty bloody green.

I would love solar panels or a wind turbine, but the out going cost is far too expensive, sure they would pay for themselves in years to come, but unless you plan on living in one place for 20 years then its not financially viable.

And relax, we wont need to get coal and from china, we can just invade somewhere else that has coal or oil. Just wait for their government to do the slightest thing wrong, then bam lets go to war to bring democracy and cheaper energy (for us).

Jokes aside, what does everyone think about all fuel will have a bit of "bio fuel" in it from now on in the UK? The arguement from the government is that it is green, the arguement from green organisations is that the sourcing of the bio fuel isn't green in itself and could be worse that just not bothering at all.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they are becoming more or less like the USA....

i want to try to put this in perspective...

imagine 3 streets were everyone puts their trash in the far end of these streets, were they meet.

lets consider that:

UK street has one person living there, and that they produce 1 unit of trash (trash being CO2), 1 unit of trash per person.

US street has 5 living there and produces 10 units of trash, 2 units of trash per person

China street has 22 people living there and makes up 6 units of trash, 0.3 units of trash per person, or even if we double that and consider that china is emitting a little more crap than the US you would get 0.6 units of trash per person.

who should the municipal system call first to lower their trash production?

how about we sell, lease or give China technology so that they can produce green energy? why don't we talk to them and ask them politely to install huge solar collectors or/and wind mills on what is now a huge desert?

4. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Nice to hear ^^

5. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Why is that stupid? The fact that it's a craze or is "popular" I think it's wonderful! Who cares if it's the "cool" thing to do, it's the fact that people are doing it, cool or not, that counts

I agree, alot of what I do is for financial gain like tuning down the wate heater or tuning in aluminum.

I see what you are trying to say but why would that stop you to even make an effort? All that aluminum, copper, wood, etc has gone way up in price because of the demand for it in China (and our stupid war). If everyone did their part to recycle scrap metals and use recycled materials, then the price would go down. Seems easy enough, right?

I'm truly sorry for such an inconvenience. It takes what, about on average 10 seconds to rinse out a can/bottle or tear off a label? At least you have somone who comes and picks it up!

I agree. THE MAJORITY of us here in the US thrive on luxury, take what we want and throw away what we don't. Some people will get rid of a car just because they get tired of the color of the cupholders, it's rediculous
    And as stated before it is becoming a fad and seems to be the "in" thing to do to be green, and that's something environmentalists had hoped for, people wanting to live greener.

6. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

You know you are right. If I burry the bodies in my own back yard I could then grow my own food from the fertilizer they make. Great idea :)

7. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Can't let them go to waste now can we?:nono::naughty: