1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Nope. Any customer that approaches me on teh shopfloor i have to deal with if possible *sigh*.

Could be worse though, i could be in telesales lol

2. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

job: transitioning from UEFI software engineer to reenigne (that's reverse engineer)
    salary: no comment

I'm still technically a UEFI engineer so I'll comment on that.
    Worth it: Overall, the job itself is a yes. I have my gripes, but I was pretty happy where I was. My job change just happens to sound more interesting and have some nicer opportunities attached.
    What makes my job worth it are seeing products I have worked on 'in the wild' and seeing something I wrote being put to new uses years later are things that have given me great satisfaction.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Job: Benefits Assessor
    Wage: Not Needed
    Is it worth it?: Job's a job isn't it? Can be morally enfuriating at times, can be great helping out the needing. Depends on the day really... hate mondays though.

------

Real Job: God-Emperor of Mankind
    Wage: The Imperium
    Is it worth it?: To prevent Chaos destroying humanity... always >.<

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Job : Web/Application Developer (self employed).
    Salary : From sod all for a long time to a fair amount briefly!
    Is it worth it? : I enjoy it, I can't be made redundant, my commute from bed to work is less than one minute (less if it's casual day!), I am trying to help by doing something useful. It can be frustrating when people don't pay (or go bust). Trying to keep out good for nothing hackers from my production server sometimes makes me want to give up. It's better than working in the City of London which I did for many years, but I miss the monthly salary sometimes!

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Job : Well that remains the same (thank god)
    Salary : Same untill april i hope
    Is it worth it? : Well after a long drawn out investigtion through a prisoner making allegations it has finally been proven that i did nothing wrong and have nothing to answer for.

The job remains a great job for me but there seems to be little backing from senior managers. The prison system on a whole is what prisoners in there own words call a "holiday" or a "career break". The criminals at times seems to be the staff and not the prisoner, they have more rights in the prison than i do, if i get injured or fall ill the NHS healthcare will refuse to treat me.

I have to stop myself, i dont want to rant, well i do but you guys will get sick of reading it.

to sum it up: I like my job, i just dont like the managers in the driving seat.

6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Or you could work in Head Office trying to control the guys who work in stores.... :wallbash:

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Amen. My job title is going to be Healthcare Science Practitioner (Clinical Photographer), so slightly longer than yours, but that's once DoH/Sue Hill stop messing around with the Modernising Scientific Careers programme and you Geneticists guinea pigs actually finish the first round so that we can stop being an aspirant group to the HPC and actually get registered. I've been fully qualified and on the current voluntary register since January 2010.

So, me?

Job: Healthcare Science Practitioner (Clinical Photographer) ...when we get registered in 2011
    Wage: £23k

Is it worth it? Yes, I love my job. I work in conjunction with clinical colleagues, and I deliver images that can alter the path of treatment, reassure patients, provide education and learning to patients and students, as well as then getting out and about for more creative work. I'm still amazed that I can actually say I'm a professional photographer with no hint of irony, and I get a kick out of doing something I enjoy as my job. Equally, I still find it funny I get paid the same as a radiography monkey.

That said, the NHS winds me up in many ways, with the ridiculous levels of middle management (aka: wasted money) and the fact that everything takes so long. I've actually just moved to working under a university rather than an NHS department, and I'm amazed that they can actually make decisions at a reasonable pace.

Long term, I've just applied for graduate entry medical school and aim to continue my qualifications/professional membership in both regions. In essence be my own worst nightmare, a doctor who actually knows what they're doing with a camera in operating theatres.

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I work for the Department of Health, have done for more than a decade and I didn't realise that our arm stretched as far as Scotland. Having said that I had a call today from a lady in Scotland asking about Internal Audit guidance, so I pointed to our website.

Salary: 23k Hours: 37 Equivalent £10.53ph

Is it worth it? Do I make a difference? Is anyone going to care about the latest thing I've been asked to do? Probably.

I made a difference when I first joined, advising GPs that if they sent their patients to Dewsbury instead of Huddersfield, the waiting list was 6 months shorter there. I've made a difference in the past, working out how many more doctors we'd need, how much more it would cost, to achieve some political aims.

In my current post I work with Parliament, with the National Audit Office and with people in DH and the NHS to make sure that what's said in Parliament and in reports about the NHS, is accurate. I also work on our accounts and am currently working towards publishing a lot more data from the accounts than has ever been published before.

Is it worth it? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Yes. Is it going to save anyone's life? No but I hope it will go some way to making sure that we're accountable to Parliament and the public for all the money we spend.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Job: Robotics Student :thumb:
    Wage current: -£3500 p/a
    Wage Max: ??? It's an expanding field which many say will be the next boom industry, so hopefully it'll be lots :p I'm doing it more with the aim to get into cybernetics so I can make my H+ dream a reality... :)

10. snakerine

snakerine holy immortal gingers

Job: Network security guy lol .
    Wage: no comments is soooo low.
    Worth it: No because i work with the goverment and is very dangerous due to the drug war here.

I got a job offer from hp but ill be there on December =( .

11. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

No, it's not.

I've actually worked out I'm better off financially if I pack it it.

1) My mortgage is covered by the government then.
    2) I actually end up with more money at the end of the month.
    3) I don't have upper management who honestly I question if they know their job.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well as of today I'm unemployed.

Job: Student
    Wage: Please, it pains me to look at the bank as it is.
    Is it worth it? From what I can remeber so far, I'd say yes.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The arm of the DoH is very long indeed ;) Admittedly Scotland is different in many areas, but in terms of Modernising Scientific Careers/HPC Registration everybody is singing off the same page - namely that of the DoH.

14. Daddyfish

Daddyfish What's a Dremel?

Job: Fast Food
    Wage: Jack s**t
    Worth It?: Hell No

I have a degree in Microbiology, but thanks to where I currently live that's practically worthless.

15. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Job: Desktop & Network Support Technician for the community college.
    Wages: $26,000 + full benefits
    Worth It?: Yep, for the most part I enjoy my job. I'm able to afford a new used car, my own apartment, and money left over to do things on the weekend and buy myself stuff I don't need.

I could be making more money in a different part of the state or country. But I have family here, it's cheap to live here, no crime, I'm happy for the time being. :)

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

That really sucks. Can you move?

17. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Job: Financial Analyst with a pretty large multinational. If you go to the ATM to take money out or pay bills; chances are we built and sold that ATM to your bank.
    Salary: U$35K.. Way underpaid, but that's the nature of the market today.
    Worth it: 50/50 Yes/No. I'm underpaid and see no growth path in the company, but then again; sitting at a desk and plugging away on Excel and VBA is not so bad with how the job market is nowadays.

18. Daddyfish

Daddyfish What's a Dremel?

I used to walk to uni and work so never felt the need to learn to drive (lived at home and wasted most of my student loans of 'student' things), then by the end of uni I had two kids and moved into my own place. At the moment I'm stuck with trying to save for driving while just about managing to pay all my bills.

I could always go down the teaching route but it's a last resort for me, really can't stand kids (other than my own) so don't want to make a career of teaching them, even if the pay and holiday time are really good :sigh:

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Doesn't have to be 'kids', thought about a college? People there are usually much more mature because they want to be there, not because there's a law saying they have to.

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Job: Admin Assistant
    Wage: £11,000 p/a (it would be higher if I didn't work for a charity)
    Worth It? I'd say yes for now as I don't have a driver's license yet and jobs in my area are limited. It's a mind numbingly boring job working in admin for a charity, days are long and slow and I get to deal with some of the must impatient people in the county... but it pays, it's easy to do and keeps a roof over my head so I can't be too negative about it.
    I have the a few benefits like fairly loose working regulations so I can play on the Internet every couple of minutes if I'm having a slow day, my employer will pay for any training course I want if I can prove it would be useful for the job and I can claim toil for Friday afternoons if I need a break after a bad week.

Once I have my driver's license sorted and have a car, I can start looking for a more suitable technical job.