1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Your Room and Computer

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 19 Oct 2007.

1. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

[​IMG]

Sorry for the massive image, should've scaled it, but it's uploaded now :D

The laptop (the weird tiny screen on a stand, a TouchSmart tm-2190sa) is hibernating at the moment and desktop is running on the screen.

It's a bit of a mess, but the desk isn't really PC friendly, so I can't hide that too well. Plus, I'm moving out soon, as I finish my term and head back to my parents for the summer on the 1st. :/

Monitor is a TV, as it means that I can consolidate on space if i get a room with an aerial socket whilst a student.

In addition, everything (external drives, mouse, keyboard and most of the other USB devices) are 'shared' between the laptop and the desktop, though not through a KVM switch yet, it's on my jobs list of things to buy. They're shared through a two USB hubs with one connected to the other on one of the ports (a legacy situation from when i had a laptop with a single USB port and very little hard drive). In other words:

PC > [Hub > [2nd hub> 2 hard drives and a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet (out of shot)] Mouse, Keyboard and 360 wireless adapter]

Yes, I know it's bad practice and a horrendous wiring job, but it works well enough. Plus, it means my music collection is portable for listening to when I'm on the move and have another machine with decent speakers available to me. :D

2. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Yep,

Filco Majestouch Linear (MX Black switches). Also have a TVS Gold (MX Blue switches) and Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Brown switches). Pre-ordered a KBC VorTeX Poker which is on its way (MX Red switches). I am going to be buying a Topre at some point but can't justify the cost at the present moment (being a student).

The wrist rest is a Ducky leather wrist rest which I ordered along with my Noppoo from Taobao - I managed to snag it for 10 quid, which compared to the Filco wrist rests which start at 50 quid is a pretty good deal.

Regarding the speakers - yeah my housemates don't love them as much as I do! My subwoofer is a bit of a beast and manages to very noticeably shake the kitchen floor :rock:.

Also, I actually linked your image to a number of friends as I was so impressed by the minimal/svelte set-up. I really like the combination of gear you're using and its does aptly reflect your name; the Topre/Burson/Audeze does demonstrate a discerning taste!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

New Carpet, meant my room had to be stripped out, thus, new desk arrangment:
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Sam

4. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

What's the 4-tiered thing next to the PC case and what are the objects either side of the monitor, that look like mini picture frames?

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

its a old stereo from a while back, there the speakers eitherside of the screen :)

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Correct mrbungle. It's an old Pioneer hifi system. I've not found anything decent enough to replace it, so i've not bothered.

Sam

7. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

CDomville how do you like your soundsticks?

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

that's some collection of mech keyboards you got there !

i like the look of KBC Poker & Noppoo Choc Mini, tenkeyless kb are pretty awesome, but i'm not sure i could live without the numberpad :D

what switches do you like best out of black, blue and brown ?

and yes Topre kb are bit expensive and tbh i'm not really sure if they're really worth it, i guess i'll have to get a mech kb to find out .(thinking about Filco Majestouch with black switches yet again heh.)

Is this the Taobao site you used http://www.taobao-agent.com/ ?

yup i sure like minimalistic/simple design :)

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Ah what the heck. I may as well throw my mess in here, at least to give people something to laugh at.

[​IMG]

From left to right; Generic Glass from Poundstretcher, 360 controller, Panasonic Wireless phone, Left speaker of Creative Gigaworks T40's (Series I), Lava lamp, Samsung Syncmaster 170MB, Phillips PSZ2000 webcam ontop, Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard, Razer Goliathus Mousemat, my 0.9 litre Dr. Who mug, Oscartech X748K, Right speaker of Creative Gigaworks T40's. NZXT Phantom, Sennheiser HD485's on the headphone rest attached to the desk-leg.

And inside said case;
    [​IMG]

I don't consider that too bad a job, considering everything is hardwired on that PSU.

(My BenQ is currently a "little broken", so I'm on the Samsung until I can get a new screen.)

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it can definitely handle more but a single 570 could already do everything easily since I only play in 1680x1050. The only reason I kept the second one (long story) is for BF3 :)

11. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

My desk for the next few days, then it's time to move...
    [​IMG]

12. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

One's preferred switch choice is very subjective; I am a fan of the MX Blacks personally, even for typing, but a lot of people find them hard to get used to initially. Whatever switch you end up trying, I'd give yourself two weeks just to adjust to its characteristics before writing it off as unsuitable. The blacks took about three weeks to grow on me but now I absolutely love them. For FPS gaming I stick with my Majestouch (Linear, i.e. MX Blacks) but for RTS gaming I prefer my Noppoo which has Brown switches. I'm not sure why I prefer Browns for RTS's. I haven't really typed much on my MX Blue board as I'm waiting on a custom keycap shipment from geekhack.org before I use it regularly, but the MX Blue's are probably Cherry corp's most famous pure typing switch.

You really can't go wrong with Filco - they're a very high quality brand. (http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=622) <-- that's where I got mine from but they're a little expensive compared to the US price, but pretty much the best one can do in the UK (unless you go via Taobao or PCHome/Armygroup).

I used Obook as an agent previously but their commission fee is quite high at 15%. I'd recommend them as an initial agent because they are ultra-reliable - but if you want to start ordering regularly there are private agents who do better deals. If you're interested in finding out more there are some Taobao guides @ geekhack.org.

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  13. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

my living room at the moment, nearly finished it, just got a few wires to sort out, everyting wood was hand made except for the flooring :D taken 5 months to get it the way i want but i think it was worth it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

computers a couple of years old, was going to finally make the move to i7 this month but my car decided to die so i had to spend money on a new car instead.

[​IMG]

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Very nice lounge setup :thumb:.

15. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

I have a flico majestouch with black switches and I love it :) check out my pics below..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

I love that case! and what's the program running on the screen?

17. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i like the purple WASD keys :D, blank keys look awesome as well.
    so tempting... :D

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'd like a Filco but 200$ for a keyboard is pushing it...

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It is more than pushing it.

On another note, while it looks tasty you would have to be able to touch type. I can't. I'd be totally lost. And lordy! The typos!