1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Your Room and Computer

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 19 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

RTT started this one in order to replace The OG Thread here, which @dazedpro did indeed start :grin:.

I do find it ironic that one of the reasons for starting this thread was that the old one got "very, very long" at 160 pages! 160 pages is nothing round here these days, not when we have 'ruining your life' at over 1,500, 'latest purchases' at over 2,000, etc! :lol:

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

LennyRhys and Pete J like this.
  3. dazedpro

dazedpro Room + Computer starter

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How do you find that carpet protector under the chair? Does it slip around much? Does the edges collect dust?

The chair has a headrest, I'm looking for a high-end chair with headrest, what is it? How do you find it?

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I just look down and there it is.
    It slips around like a b'stard snake covered in goose fat, has to be repositioned at least once a day, but it doesn't have spikes on the bottom to stop it moving.
    No dust problem that I can discern .
    It's cheap, cheerful and does it's job so it can stay until I wear through it or something else comes along.

It does, it mostly goes unused unless I'm in a contemplative mood and recline back, or fall asleep.
    This isn't a high end chair, it's a cheap piece of corporate issued rubbish, which has lasted about 24 months and is fit for nothing else other than the bin, I really need to get them to buy me something decent.

trigger and wyx087 like this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's the chair I had before PPI money paid for an Aeron. Completely agree with you on the quality.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This reply is under-appreciated.

Sentinel-R1, jinq-sea and wyx087 like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My desk has sprouted a CRT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to get back into streaming retro games soon. I picked up a powered VGA splitter the other day; this means I can play games on the CRT, but I can still pipe the video feed into a capture device. The video chain is a nightmare:

Code:
          Console
             │
             │
             ▼
    SCART to VGA Upscaler
             │
             │
             ▼
     ┌──VGA Splitter───────┐
     │                     │
     │                     │
     ▼                     ▼
    CRT            VGA to HDMI Converter
                           │
                           │
                           ▼
                   Elgato Capture Box

I haven't got the upscaler in the loop at the moment, as I'm going to start out with some old PC games. There's a couple of point'n'click Discworld games I've been meaning to play for some time, and after watching LGR's recent video I'm quite tempted to give Star Trek: Elite Force a go.

andrew8200m, IanW and LennyRhys like this.
  9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Decided to clean it all up a little. Ergotron mount cost near £300 for the monitor but it is soooo worth it!

And for those wondering, 16” m1 max 32core GPU is horrifically quicker in video editing on resolve than a 5900x or even the 5950x with the 3080ti… it’s mind blowing!!

Rubbish for pretty much anything else though so don’t go throwing out your PCs yet! :grin:

The M1 air is now a bit pointless but it is so light and powerful for its size that I can’t justify getting rid of it when I can throw it in a bag and enjoy it where ever I may be.

The keyboard by the way is incredible. Keychron Q2 with knob. FR4 plate. Dynamat mod, holey modded stabs on 205g0, Thic thock konpeitou lubed and filmed. Tape mod PCB and tape mod screw holes on chassis. It’s rocking GMK 8008 and it is Devine.

I also have the Q2 in blue with GMK laser R2 with ISO keys rocking holy pandas and all of the same mods as above. It’s on a gorgeous brass plate though.

Custom keyboards are king but expect to pay north of £450 per board based on above specs.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2022
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Work in progress...

Gone is the CRT. The other half has her own office room now as she's fully remote - this means I have have a desk to use solely for retro systems... But in its place now sits a hifi stack which takes up just as much room.

[​IMG]

My desk is simply not big enough for everything I want to put on it... I don't really get the full benefit of the speakers when they're next to the desk, but I can't fit a tidy set of bookshelf speakers on the desk either. I've had to take down my second vertical monitor. It's been earmarked for a bartop arcade cabinet build, but adding the hifi stack means there's simply no room so it's had to come down sooner than planned.

[​IMG]

The two light panels are going to come down at some point soon and I'll eventually be replacing them with a ring light. I've got a bit of a plan forming when it comes to video, but it hinges on being able to successfully restore a classic Pentax manual focus lens... (I have a couple of other lenses in addition to this nifty-fifty...)

[​IMG]

I'm toying with the idea of putting my case flat against the wall behind the monitor. It'll give me a bit of space back, but I'm a bit concerned about getting fresh airflow to that toasty 3070Ti. Plus there's a fat bundle of cables sticking out the back of the monitor stand which are kinda in the way...

I think the lesson here is that I will never be happy with it :lol:

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Oh NO ! Byron C's one of those strange people who sees the london underground map as art !!!!

It's a very strange piece of work the underground map, a brilliant piece of design really, it does draw the eye AND hold attention (so I'm just joking when I said it was weird)

10 points for the tidy desk, especially as you managed to have some cables on it (that by some arcane power - still look neat and tidy).

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ha! Actually it's "Transport for Middle-Earth" :grin:

[​IMG]

(hard to get a decent photo, it's very close to the light fitting)

Pete J and spolsh like this.
  13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That is waaaaay better ! Wonder what it's like on the Mordor line ?

edit : also shows how long it is since I've seen an underground map.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Why not put it on the floor? I haven't had a desktop on the top of a desk since they were actual desktops which doubled as a monitor stand. Makes the fan noise quieter, takes up zero desk space, gets the cables neatly hidden where you can't see 'em...

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You stop it with all that sensible nonsense !

Byron C, IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I have thought about it, but this room seems to be excellent at accumulating dust. I'm dusting and vacuuming in here as often as I can but it never seems to be enough.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've a similar problem, so my tower's sat on this little metal plinth that came with a computer desk in the mid-90s and I've used ever since. Lifts it up off the floor, and seems to do a decent job of stopping it hoovering up so much crap - especially back when it was in a carpeted room.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I made a platform for mine, from an old shelf and 3 wheels. The PC is about 10cm off the floor and easy to pull out from it’s space by my desk.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  19. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have had my PC sitting on the floor for years. If anyone is familiar with the size of a Coolermaster ATCS840 then you'll understand why there is no way that I am putting that on the desk.

The downside to this is that it does suck up some substantial amounts of dust and hair, kind of unavoidable when you have 4 cats... Plus putting it on the desk would no doubt lead to the top venting radiator becoming blocked by one of the aforementioned little monsters when she (I say she as I know very well who would be on there) decides that she needs to sit there (why is it made of warm if I am not meant to sit there?).

Unfortunately the floor standing does mean that more frequent cleaning is needed, even with the case's very good filter system in place...

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Dust filters are your friend.

My Silverstone FT-02 have no front in-take, only bottom dust filtered intake. Bottom intakes suck air from undisturbed air on the other side of the solid wooden desk stand/panel. It gets very little dust, I only clean dust filter every month or so.

I love the FT-02 and have zero dust or cooling problems with anything I've ever used over the last 10+ years.