1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Your Ultimate Workshop.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by theurgy, 22 Aug 2005.

1. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I just moved into a house (from an apartment) and now I actually have a room to be specifically made as a workshop.
    Before in the apartment I had to be very wise about the space I was taking up and storage was key but now I got plenty of room.
    So here's my question, as I plan this new workshop's layout and design I want to know what are the essentials to a good workshop?
    What areas and features have you found to be the most useful?
    What tools do you think are most essential?
    I personally intend of having two bench areas: one for cutting, drilling and basic messy work. the other for electronics and assembly (the bench's top surface will covered in a rubber mat to prevent scratches and such).

Please feel free to post pictures of your workbenches and workshops.

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Make sure you have at least one good vice and an assortment of clamps and jigs, so you can clamp down stuff before cutting.

Definetly get good lighting. A lot of it.

Drill press is important too. Make sure you get a nice chuck on it that can really grip the bits. I have a cheap one and if I'm really going at it the bit slips. A strong chuck will also let you do milling. Make sure you have a good way of securing material to the drill press.

For the tables, I suggest kitchen stuff. Kitchen remodeling is popular now, so try to find old cabinets that someone is throwing out. You'll want tons of storage space, both below the bench and above it. Reular 24" deep countertops with cabinets below it works great for the workbench, also try to get some 12-18" deep wall mounted cabinets above it.

Make sure you have plenty of outlets. I would suggest mounting an outlet at about midway up the wall every 4 feet along the room, maybe a few ceiling mounted outlets.

Get a cheap shop vac with a very flexible hose. Mount the vac with some noise dampening in a cabinet and run the hose to pick up sawdust and metal shavings.

Get an old PC and put it somewhere. Use it to pull data off of hard drives, pull up specs, etc. Also allow room for a testbed to test modded PCs.

Allow plenty of room - make it so you can lay out the project and not have to put away parts to work on other parts.

Invest in a decent solder station

Get a pegboard and a variety of pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

Get a sheet metal brake for bending.

Buy a cheap air compressor and airbrush for custom paint jobs

Dedicate an area for painting, making sure that there is plenty of ventilation outside.

I think some sort of small jigsaw tablesaw would be very nice. Either find one premade or cut a 4x4' piece of plywood and drill out a hole in the middle and mount the jigsaw the wrong way in. Use a zip tie to hold the trigger down and mount a light dimmer switch on the side to control speed. Put some outlets on the underside for the dremel and drill and anything else. Run the hose from the shop vac down from the ceiling. For the jigsaw, some sort of retractable thing would be cool. Mount the jigsaw in a wooden frame, then mount the frame on rails so you can raise the blade out above the table for use as a table saw, then lower it so that the tabletop is flat and can be used for other stuff. Make adjustable cutting guides on the table, a piece of wood parallel to the blade with an adjustable distance to allow you to make straight cuts.

Don't do all of this, these are just things that I would do if I was in your position (except much worse, I would buy a pullout couch and put it in a room with my pc and stereo, then use every other room as a shop)

3. SamHain7315

SamHain7315 What's a Dremel?

Heh thats how I feel about my apartment. If I wasn't living with someone else I'd take the smallest room to sleep in, convert my living and dining room into my workshop, come to think of it, if i sealed off the kitchen and had somekinda exhhaust hose going out side it would be aa great paint booth, god sometimes i really wish i was still single

4. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

5. arjo_reich

arjo_reich What's a Dremel?

Suggestions

- Wall to wall pegboard. For obvious reasons.

- Make a vented (get fans rated for this purpose) spray booth that vents to the outside of the workshop. You will thank me every time you paint with this as it prevents you from getting overspray on everything else in your shop.

- Make sure you benches can support at least 300-500 lbs on them.

- Definately need at least a 4 1/2" vise bolted on to the studiest part of those benches, but if you're smart you'll make that be within a foot of a corner.

From there, the rest of the implements are tools and such and vary based on taste. I like your idea about trying to keep the work areas seperate, I've always tried to do that -- from the start of my first project. Unfortunately it ended about 20 minutes into my first project. :thumb:

6. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I don't think that's in the books as I also have a garage and intend on setting up a makeshift colapsable paint booth there.

7. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't just suggest that it be on the strongest corner, but that the corner be reinforced. Get yourself the best vise you can since you'll be using it and beating on it constantly, something like a Wilton machinist's vise if you can find one cheap. I've literally taken over 10,000 swings at mine with a 2.5lb hammer, both on stuff in the jaws, on the jaws, and on the handle and it's just fine.

8. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

I'll be watching this thread intently, as I'll be moving into a house (rent) soon. Please please please post pics!

At Lowes or one of the other humungous DIY stores I've seen a shopvac that attaches to the wall, with longer hoses for routing around the garage or workroom like someone mentioned above. I think some company also makes dedicated garage vacuum systems. Look, you're getting me all riled up!

And good luck...

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

CNC machine. If only... :sigh:

10. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I will most definitely be posting pics as it comes along.

Also that system is not all that impressive and I was thinking of building one on my own using PVC pipes and some plastic speaker vents!!
    But that's a project to be put in AFTER the inital build.
    I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

I already found a poster with some swanky chick lying next to a computer!! HEHE

Last edited: 2 Mar 2006
  11. arjo_reich

arjo_reich What's a Dremel?

Collapsable paint booths are fine...if you're taking them outside the workshop to paint. Only problem with that is you now have to schedule them around the weather - wind, rain, temperatures, etc. - and my time is too valuable.

Prefabs are available but they are REDICULOUSLY :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: priced at nearly 500 USD or more for a 36" x 36" booth...so I didn't go that route. They claim the price is in the fans since any kind of sparking in the motor will blow your arse up with solvent based paints...but I doubt that.

Not using an exhausted paint hood in your garage means that all the overspray will settle on everything in your garage, EVERYTHING, and even though it's just a soft, dirty powder on everything, it's still annoying as hell to deal with.

My plan is to obtain a higher end range hood for stove and modify that to work as the exhausting vents and then build - out of acrylic - a box to house the spray area. It's only a small dedicated space to give up for this project, and the savings in clean up time NOT wasted on wiping the overspray down will pay for itself.

---
    Now, if I could only get my garage rewired for a 100 AMP service panel and about 10 more receptacles and five or six more lights, I'd be happy as hell.

12. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I was in a smaller room at first, but gathering stuff and tools soon sent me to the larger room in my basement :hehe:
    Tools needed, i think you cant have enough and if you have spare cash you'll have to stop yourself from invading your whole house lolll.
    Here's my room where i feel in my space and where i do modding and PC repair.

Before, smaller room. As you can see, it was getting crowded real fast lol

[​IMG]

Gathering junk :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Work place
    [​IMG]

Now in a larger room left side
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]

Bits and pieces
    [​IMG]

The junk still follows lol
    [​IMG]

Tools needed hummm !!! where to start
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paint electric and air tools
    [​IMG]
    I also have a paint place, nothing professional but somewhere where i can spray without the wife jumping sky high :hehe:
    [​IMG]
    That's where i'm at now and still growing lolll :dremel:

Last edited: 29 Aug 2005
  13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Really nice Kobalt... I thought I had a lot of old junk in the back of my workshop...

14. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Well this took a lot of years lolll :thumb: and the pack rat fav. citation "you never know when you're going to need something in there" loll

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Not like I can find anything I do need in the mess... :hehe:

16. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Me on the opposite i know exactly what i have. Once i've looked for an audio digital wire, you know the CD wire but with 2 female connectors i knew i had one and it took me 2 hours to find it but i did lolll :hehe:

17. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Time to revive this thread as I have completed my new workshop.
    Pictures to come later today!

18. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

OK so my workshop is pretty much complete and I've taken some pics top show you guys.

This is what you see as you walk into my workshop from the entrance (located in the basement of course) I unfortunately have to share the space with the water tank and the furnace but you take what you can get...
    [​IMG]

This is a closeup of my electronics bench, the table has been covered with what is known as toolbox liner (made by Husky tools), and that liner is glued onto the surface of the 3/4" plywood using spray adhesive.
    [​IMG]

This next shot is my larger actual workbench, I have alot more tools than that I just didn't have enough hooks, but I intend on getting some more.
    Again 3/4" plywood top which will soon have a 1/8" masonite placed on for a smoother surface. I also have another roll of Toolbox Liner but I like to keep that removable. I also just bought my 5" bench vise.
    [​IMG]

Below my bench is a storage shelf where I keep my big tools such as my mitre saw, ShopVac, Dremel and others...
    [​IMG]

This is a storage shelf, It actually was double this size when I moved in, I decided to keep it but to resize it to what it is now.
    I got a stereo, DVD Player and TV to keep me busy in there while I'm working.
    Various paints, and parts (including a guitar neck I'm working on at the moment). On the bottom shelf is a few cases I'm working on, some supplies and soon to be installed a coffee machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This final pic is the exit door and you'll notice the guitar body I'm working on as well. So i guess this is me showing you the door.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

19. Static Lullaby

Static Lullaby What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2006
  20. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I've thought about it ... just don't think I have enough room. It's pretty tight in there right now.
    I use my regular bench to do testing, I usually just put it away once i'm done.
    I'm also getting a drill press soon and benchgrinder so I might put some kind of extra bench for those near the exit door.

If you guys want plans for these benches lemme know. Also if your building one of these, adjustable feet are your friends!!