1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Yuugou" Finished (1 Buy.com Lan pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 23 Mar 2006.

1. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Congratulations on the sponsor dude, that power supply's a beast. :D

2. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

cant wait to see that thing with all that powder-coated aluminium. Should be VERY sexy. Congrats on the sponsor too - some proof you have some skill with design, and great that a more expensive brand would want to be associated with a case such as yours. Nice work

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks guys, I have another one in the works too. I'm just waiting for official commitments to avoid any possible confusion. If they come through though, things will be very nice.

4. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

grats on your sponsore!!!

thats one sexy powersupply!

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I really need to start reading the project logs forum again, because this is utterly beautiful! Excellent craftsmanship and a stunning design.

6. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Holy sh*t, 850 Watts are a waste of energy but who cares? Just for meintaining a tiny rig? IMHO its oversized...

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

If the load on the PSU is less than 850 watts then it will draw less from the plug socket.

8. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

First off, it was free so I don't mind. Secondly, what NiHiLiST said (Thanks NiHiLiST). And thirdly, I'm going to need all that power to power what's going in this "tiny" rig. Hardware will be announced sometime this week probably.

9. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Time for an update.

First off, I needed to attach those two dangly things to get that whole area working. Since I suck at describing things, here are some pictures:

Interior so far:
    [​IMG]

These things will be attached with these blocks:
    [​IMG]

They are attached with two 6-32 screw on the bottom:
    [​IMG]

And tapped:
    [​IMG]

And screwed:
    [​IMG]
    This was a bigger pain than it may seem, a lot of taking stuff apart.

I also experimented with lighting. My first plan didn't work, at all, so i went to plan B, CCFLs with minimalistic lighting. Right now, there are 2 white 12 inchers in the top of the case shining down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple more pretty pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more thing. My roomate Taro designed and Photochopped a logo for the case:
    [​IMG]

Lots more work to do but until then, stay tuned.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

planning on getting a Striker are we ???

11. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Wow, you're quick. I'm not sure yet. It depends on what happens with my pending sponsor :D Its not Asus though. I'd actually rather have the DFI 680i board but i don't know if it'll be out in time.

12. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I like the simple white lighting. I also took a look around your website and that lamp is quite amazing, very nice work.

13. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

man this project is just smokein :rock:

14. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

One can never have too much money or a PSU with too much power !
    Honestly (IMHO), a bullet-proof power supply is the first step in building a "rocket-ship" computer. And when the price is "gratis", even better. Free parts and magazine covers.. The proof that a designer is "hot", and Greeny's work is that..
    @greeny: will SilverStone have pictures of your work on there webpage?
    looking-great-fella..

15. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

@Rocket733: Thanks a lot man. I did that project 2 years ago but its still one of my favorites.

@wbdog206: Thank you sir

Thanks MS, I appreciate that. I'm not sure what their plans are. Right now I'm writing a review of the PSU and man this thing wreaks quality. They might put that on their site or something, we shall see. I'm pretty sure my pending sponsor would put it on their site though but I'm not sure what their plans are either (announcement comming soon :D :D )

So, I had a realization today. I hate acrylic. And here's why:

I had to make a piece to bend around the aluminum shield thing.

I secured it at the bottom:
    [​IMG]

And started bending:
    [​IMG]

and kept bending:
    [​IMG]

Soon after, i realized the plexi wasn't making the bend and it was just a pain in the butt. I hate being hot and the house is hot and holding a gun spewing 800 degrees F of heat doesn't help so after getting extremely irritated, I went to the studio and got a nice clean bend:
    [​IMG]

Which consequently ruined the previous work, and still wasn't any good.

The solution?

I'm ditching the acrylic all together. Its main purpose was to light up and since that isn't happening, the little bit of contrast it would've added is not worth the effort.

Plan B is to take the mesh that is still going around and make that a contrasting (lighter) color. This should give much better contrast and i probably won't lose my mind doing it.

Stay tuned.

16. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

something just never work out as planned. I wouldn't give up on the acrylic, but you've gone the way you want. either way, the project is one great looking piece of kit.

P.S. if the heat is that bad, spare a thought for those here 'down under' ;)

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Shouldn't the U in your logo have a "-" above it? that should give it the elongated uu sound.

18. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

If you want a white translucent plastic to fill that bending space you could use styrene, which is used for making vacuum-form molds. Those curves are gentle enough that you will only need a mild amount of heat to get the styrene around that 90-degree turn.

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Great ideas guys.

The thing is, I was going to rout most of the acrylic away to just leave a small edge showing which i doubt people would notice since all the black around it would probably make it hard to see. I think powder coating the mesh a different color will give more contrast and I don't have to work with acrylic (or any other plastic for that matter) anymore.

Long live Wood and Metal.

Thanks for the ideas though guys. I'll ask my roomate about the U.

Stay tuned

ps @tdkwarrior: I know i'm being a baby about the heat but after a day of things not going right and already being irritated, having to work with that stupid heat gun just makes it work. I don't know how you guys do it though, I'm too used to the California coast :D .

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

ooh. I've just had a look over this project again, and i still can't get over how uterly perfect this project is.