1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound not working...please help..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 29 Jul 2012.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hey guys,

I have a set of Z-5500 speakers and have done so for a long while....currently I am running Win 7 x64 bit with on-board realtek HD audio card, which supports up to 7.1 surround sound.

Now, I am not sure when or how, the realtek audio just will NOT recognise the 5.1 surround system and insists on just playing in stereo. The issue is simple....the audio manager or the control panel sound settings will not play sound from the sub woofer or the central speakers or the rear speakers at all. :wallbash:

I have checked the settings, I have checked and double-triple checked all the connections. They are all still in place and still not working. I have un-installed all drivers, updated to latest drivers and still no luck at fixing it. I know the speakers are working as during testing via the Z-5500 remote they will all sound off and when playing films or music with stereo sound the speaker Dolby settings will convert to 5.1 for all speakers.....so sound does play - except its not 'actual' 5.1 - in games or music or films that support 5.1 sound will only play from the two front speakers....and will chop stuff as its meant to be played through 5 speakers....unless I go into control panel/realtek manager to switch to stereo mode.....:wallbash:

All I really need is some help to try and get realtek/control panel to play the sub woofer and central/rear speakers in 5.1 sound. I am using analog connectors - and realtek audio will recognise me plug them in and allow me to set them as the correct kind of speaker but when testing in realtek manager or control panel they play no sound.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. The rest of my rig is as follows in my signature:

Last edited: 29 Jul 2012
  2. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

OK, I know you said you have checked the settings, but we will need to clarify how some things are set anyway to diagnose this one. I have the same set of speakers, also connected analog, but via an ASUS Xonar DX.

Firstly, on the speaker control box itself, is the Input set to Direct 96-24 and the Effect to 6 Ch Direct? If not, set it as so.

Next, in the windows Sound properties window, there should be an entry for "Speakers", hit "Configure" (not Properties) of this, and make sure the configuration is set to 5.1 surround. If you use the "Test" function here, can Windows itself output to each speaker in turn?

3. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

On the back of the control pod have u set flicked the black switch to 6 channel direct

4. SirFur

Ok firstly the control pod has the correct settings 96-24, however I have been using Dolby Music effect....now this was based on advice that 6CH Direct does not convert stereo sound to Surround sound.....and in some cases when I was running Stereo sound I wasn't getting sound output from rear speakers.

I've just flipped the effect to 6CH Direct - the windows 'test' now does output sound in all speakers, and the same goes for the realtek manager. Should I leave it in 6Ch Direct mode?

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Yes, leave the Z-5500's in 6Ch Direct. If you want stereo sound through all the speakers then enable the "Speaker Fill" Option:

[​IMG]

6. SirFur

Ok thanks. I did have the speakers originally in 6CH mode.....only realised something was wrong last week....

The question I have then is - what are the Dolby Music/Movie modes for then? For dedicated 5.1 sound sources only? And yes I have got speaker fill set up - I have a feeling a while back it got reset to default when I updated drivers few months ago so maybe that's why it stopped working...works good at the moment.

Thanks

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The Dolby Pro Logic modes are for making pseudo-surround sound out of stereo sources

8. SirFur

I see - so technically aren't those modes better for stereo sounds, as opposed to using the speaker fill mode? OR does it depend on what you're doing?

Essentially what reason would I have to switch from 6CH mode to Dolby mode? 6CH is for pure 5.1? And speaker fill transmits across all speakers is worse than Dolby with pseudo-surround?

Bit confusing for me at the moment as I think I have gotten myself muddled up with the settings.....

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

It depends on how you feel really. Speaker fill will put the left and right sounds through the rear speakers so it's more of a wall of sound rather than surround sound. My Z-680s (your Z-5500's dad) has an option for Stereo X2 which is basically the same thing. The Dolby modes will attempt to make a surround sound experience from a stereo source by putting certain frequencies through the rear speakers and most of the vocal range through the centre speaker.

You'll want to leave it on 6CH for 5.1 sources, so games and films but if your listening to music or a stereo source then you may wanna flick over to the Dolby modes or switch speaker fill on depending on how you feel.

10. SirFur

Ok that explains a lot and clarifies what I understood was correct before I got confused.

So the question is - if in Dolby modes it isn't playing sound in windows/realtek when 'testing' I shouldn't worry? Why won't direct 5.1 sources play via Dolby modes?

Having said that - at present the 6CH mode with speaker fill seems to be outputting most of vocal range through centre and some from front speakers and mostly music/other sounds from rear speakers as well. So kinda like Dolby mode almost, but I suppose its not the same. 6CH did sound like an auditorium almost when I was playing a film earlier vs stereo x2 (which sounded more similar to Dolby modes).

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

No, there's no need to worry. I think what's happening is the Z-5500s are ignoring the rear and centre/subwoofer inputs and just concentrating on the green, front input jack as if you were only feeding it a stereo signal from a TV or MP3 player e.t.c

It's a matter of preference really. I think proper audio buffs would just set it to stereo but if you like the sound on a particular mode then use it! :hehe: :p

12. SirFur

Great. Thanks for your help! :)

Gonna leave it on 6CH for now - sounds pretty good as it is at the moment - besides I'm more of a gamer & film person - not too much music so all good! :)