1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Z97 Close Up: Gigabyte and Asus ROG boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 2 May 2014.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I don't even mind some boards not having SATA Express... What i am starting to be totally annoyed with is Intel and their limited PCIe lanes. Take ANY Z97 board from ASUS, and you will find stuff like :
    So you got an physical x16/electrical x4 slot, but you need to take care not to use it for anything else than x1 card, otherwise you will lose the M.2 and another PCI-E slot. I had a similar issue on the Z77 board, where i could use two PCI-E x1 devices, one PCI-E x4 device or the additional SATA3 controller, but not all 3 of them. :wallbash:

Intel, in the next generation of consumer CPU add at least another 5-10 PCI-E lanes, pretty please :D.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From my limited understanding X79 (LGA 2011) and upwards have 40 lanes available, but how the board manufacture divides those up between the different slots and/or devices can differ a great deal.

EDIT: The extra pins on LGA 2011 are used for the extra lanes.
    And AFAIK the rest have 16 lanes, although I'm none to sure on that :confused:

Last edited: 3 May 2014
  3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sure, S2011 has more PCI-E lanes... But on other side doesn't have IGP, which is important to a typical user too.

My point was that the current amount PCI-E lanes on S115x are slowly becoming a problem even for board manufacturers, because there are simply not enough for them even for their own onboard chips.

@jrs77: on other side it will make them an ideal solution for coolers like NH-L12.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea i totally agree the 16 lanes are becoming a problem, one that doesn't seem to be going away until Intel transition the non enthusiast chips/sockets to higher pin counts.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Maybe I am in error but if the cooler can clear RAM modules I am pretty certain it can clear SATA cables?

6. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

interesting point your making, my understanding was that sata express was going to give a considerable speed hike

Tags: Add Tags