1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zalman launches Reserator 3 Max nanoliquid cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm looking forward to when Bit-Tech can get there hands on this to test the claimed improvements that nanofluid bring to coolant.

3. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

My original Reserator still works fine and I haven't opened it for about 6 years now

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Looks awesome! It would be great to see Zalman back on top :)

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Isn't Ice Dragon also a nanofluid coolant? Actually, aren't all the Mayhem's pastel range nanofluids given hown they have nanoparticles in them?

This certainly sounds interesting though. If anything the CLC market feels a little stale right now, this seems like quite a fresh take on things. It'll be good to see if this cooler can walk it's talk.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Some degree of innovation there. Having those very long pins extending into the coolant and the round radiator that circulates the liquid 4 times in decreasing circles.

7. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Yes all Mayhems pastel range are nano fluids and were working on new nano fluids as well. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that people don't know about :).

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Definite +1 from me there ! Maybe the video has got me over excited but as Stanley said it seems to have some innovative features.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Maybe my next coolant then? My EC6 is long overdue for change.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Coolant-Water...now with added salt *oops*

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I sold my Res1 V2 (without any of the original accessories other than the quick-release couplings and flow meter) for a ton on eBay earlier this year. I can't believe how well it held its value, and that was five times what I paid for it in the first place!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure this can be answered without giving away trade secrets, but does the pastel range make use of nanoparticles for better thermal conductivity or other reasons ? Because i read claims of anything from a 5% to 300% increase in thermal conductivity from using nano fluids, so understandably im a little skeptical. but hopefully so :)

Any idea of when the behind scenes work may see the light of day ?

Last edited: 19 Aug 2013
  13. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Interesting. It will be twice as interesting if LEDs can be turned off without voiding warranty.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That howling sound you can hear in the background is the ******** Alarm Klaxon.

Xir likes this.
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK nano-fluids are still very much under research afaik. There is no doubt they do improve thermal conductivity but by how much and under what conditions remains a much debated topic.
    There is a lot to take into account with nano-fluids, everything from the design of the system used, to the size and shape of the nano-particles.

16. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

I expect nano-particles simply work to break boundary layers, I can't see them doing much else that could be useful.

Back on the cooler though, it's a nice design but I won't buy it. same reason I avoid most Zalman coolers; the proprietary fan. When that fails (and it will) I want to be able to replace it without modding or phoning product support. I don't see any reason for them not to support a standard 120mm fan fitting for the intake side.

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

cooling with the power of buzzwords

18. Xir

Xir Modder

:D
    Very nice...I've got a "Moral Alert Light" on the telly, but I definitely need a BAK

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Hardly, Nano-fluids have been proven to improve thermal conductivity (among other things) But as we have only been able to produce them in the last five years there is still lots of research going on.
    If you are bored Advances in Mechanical Engineering has an article on the Applications of Nanofluids: Current and Future from 2009 that details some of the uses and advantages of using Nano-fluids things like Cancer Theraupetics, Cooling of Microchips, Nanofluid in Fuel, and Nuclear Reactors, to name just a few.

20. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

That rad looks sweet, I can see why it's commanding such a price!