1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zalman ZM-FG1000 FPSGUN Gaming Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

shouldnt that be to hide it in. on another note i have to say im happy with the deathadder i purchased

2. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I've seen other gun mices like this at LANs, they'e all useless imo.

3. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

one word fugly.

4. dmak

dmak What's a Dremel?

I love it! are they actually serious? I think Zalman needs to jumnp on this band wagon cause this is the only way its going to sell this product :D

5. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I hope someone got fired for this product...

6. tigermain

tigermain What's a Dremel?

I dont agree with this comment

If that's the case whats the point on reviewing it?! Surely its a tool for a specific use not an all purpose one. Would you discard all steering wheels cause you can't use them to msn your mates with!?!?

7. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Hardly. What we are saying is that £35 is a lot of money to invest in something you can use for just one purpose, especially when you may not even end up getting used to it. Buying the much loved Logitech MX518 for example, at about the same price, will serve you for all gaming and all other uses without the risk of ending up on Ebay. We review it so our readers know all the risks, benefits and costs of ownership without having to buy it first. ;)

8. tigermain

tigermain What's a Dremel?

I get that completely my point was that you have written it off as it only has one use. My point back to steering wheels and I'd include gamepads, light pens and gyro pointing devices is that these devices are only single use essentially and you say its that which "ruins any value and attraction"

9. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You buy a steering wheel because it enhances your immersion and, usually, enjoyment of a driving game. A gamepad makes game-pad friendly games more fun, for example: I preferred playing GTA III on the PC with a gamepad than with a keyboard/mouse.

This mouse does not do the same thing for FPS games; at best it is simply as good as a normal mouse, at worst it's completely useless.

That is why it is marked down. Not because it only has one intended use, but because it is not very good in the one area it is intended to be used in.

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

It twas a joke it twas...

11. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Ridiculous-looking contraption...

13. mi1stormilst

mi1stormilst What's a Dremel?

Ummm as soon as a read the article title and saw the picture it reminded me of the failed Thrustmaster Fragmaster FPS controller. Now talk about a flawed and horrible concept...all hardware manufactures take note...this is a BAD idea. If you want to impress us invent a light gun I can use with my PC.....where is the love?

14. Hyrulio

Hyrulio What's a Dremel?

I have one of these (I got it free today at a LAN fest)

It's actually not THAT bad, I won't be replacing my Diamondback 3G with it, but it's fun to use.

The "handle" with the left- and right-click 'triggers' could be a tad taller to accomodate larger hands like my own, but other than that it's a nice little thing. Nothing wrong with a gimick, especially if it has a use! :p

15. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

I started a thread about this months ago.

It amazes me how many people who have not used it are bagging it, apart from the reviewers the only person who has used it says:

I can agree that they (Zalman) haven't thought the pistol design through in that they obviously have never fired a real pistol in their life or they would have made it a bit taller and positioned the trigger (and possibly the other buttons and scroll wheel) in a better place.

I have fired many real pistols, from revolvers to semi-auto, I used to do IPSC so I know what I am talking about.

Maybe Bit-Tech would like to send me one and I will do a review of it, I won't be biased, I will find any faults and pick it to pieces as well as find any good points to level some praise at.

I can test it in such games as:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    F.E.A.R.: original and Extraction point
    Battlefield: Vietnam (old I know)
    Battlefield 2: Deluxe version

I can test it both in single player campaign and online.

See my sig for my system specs.

So what do you say Bit-Tech staff?

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You can't honestly believe Bit-Tech in the UK, will be willing to pay for the cost to send a package - containing a product which they themselves have already reviewed, all the way to Australia (and back?), just so you can give your personal thoughts on it :eeek: :eyebrow:

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I too have fired pistols and rifles before, as well as having the games you mention I'm afraid. So, not only would there be little point in sending the mouse to you for a second review, but we don't even have the sample any more.

If you're interested in doing Bit-tech reviews with us in the future on a serious, professional basis then there guidelines on how to contact us the About page.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I have one of these and I love it, not sure what these guys deals are but first off saying that its not good for anything else other then FPS games... gee really? you dont say... a mouse designed for First Person Shooters isnt to good for anything else, wow omg I am shocked, no way seriously? who would have thought... okay sarcasm over... but seriously that was pretty asinine, anyhow I use it for other games as well not just FPS and I have no issues with it. I will agree that they should have made the handle an inch taller to get a better feel but other then that it works out well and there is something very pleasant about being in a sniper mode and clicking that trigger. I think overall this would be closer to a 7 out of 10 certainly not that of 5 out of 10. Again this is just my opinion.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There's nothing wrong with designing a peripheral for a specific application - but expecting users to swap between two peripherals when the specially designed one offers no comfort or gameplay enhancement is a bit poinltess, IMHO. Thanks for the feedback though!

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well see I keep both the zalman fps gun and my logi g9 plugged in all the time and I just grab which mouse I want to use, so switching is as quick as reach over and grabbing which mouse I want, so I dont really see that as a viable excuse. I mean I guess for people who dont do that or dont have the room sure it could be an issue unplugging and plugging it.

Also sorry for umm going off and umm venting ^.^

Tags: Add Tags