1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ZapWizards' INSANE ideas, and ORIGINAL idea's you don't have the money/knowledge for.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 21 Oct 2002.

1. belier

belier What's a Dremel?

And a scrambled HDD. :D

The tube idea is a good one though, with two large blowers on either side perhaps?

2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Oh yeah....:blush:

Uhh.. Get a board that can support like 20 GB of RAM and make a RAMdisk of everything?

People make in-car PCs, and such to play mp3s and the like on their auto audio systems, so what about making a car PC?

Take a car, tear out the engine, and that's where you'd put the guts, the trunk would hold the devices, and instead of a steering wheel, it would be a keyboard and mouse... And you coul dhave a CD instead of a glove compartment.......

I'd better stop.... My brain is starting to go on strike.

3. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

Personally I've been waiting for someone to do this.....

- Get a large tube, diameter equaling the width the motherboard plus a bit more. Make a tray to mount the board on and have it sit so the cards are centered (vertically), meaning the motherboard sits near the bottom, but not on the bottom (of course). Do the same for the harddrive and CDROM, but have them facing toward the side of the tube and exit out that side for visibility/access, plus have them sit at the center of the tube. Put an open powersupply in there at the far end (exit end). Have the motherboard so the cards and that face the side of the tube, but opposite of the drives.

Then get fans that cover each end of the tube, one for intake and one for exhaust. The ideal way is to have the fans be the same diameter so you only need 2. At the size needed, RPMs wouldn't be a huge deal. Just run em at ~3000RPM. Should be efficient and quiet as well as unique. Maybe even do this mode with a completely clear tube with lighting. It would be one giant window with the best cooling method, wind tunnel.

I'd love to do it, but I don't have the time nor the money to construct something like this. And with this mod you would only need to have 2 fans (other than processor, video card, and motherboard chipset). You could even make a hatch that opens up to access the drives, for ultimate stealthing.

4. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

kargin - forgive me if that last one is the same idea you were talking about (aside from the entire thing spinning :p)

5. ::Dawg::

::Dawg:: What's a Dremel?

Instead of having 60 lbs worth of cooling fans in your computer, make a computer that is built inside a cylinder construct, and make directed air vents ont eh side, and hook it up to a motor to spin the entire case around at like 3000 rpm. Then add some lights and such and you ahve a high speed light show. [/B][/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!!! AHAHAHHAHHAHA omg that would be great! :eeek: :rock: :clap: :clap:

6. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

CoolJoe, no my idea was quite different, yours is mildly more realistic in terms of not being a lethal death wheel of blinding light :D

What I was saying, was if you take a cylinder shapped bit, and have it standing upright, so the rounded side is vertical, and it's not that tall, basically just big enough for the mobo, cards, etc. but it more wide. Then on the rounded side, put vent like thigns, uhh.. like hood scoops on car hoods, and a motor in the centre of it, so that it would spin, and the scoops would grab in air as they moved and shuffle air inside, maybe with somekind of moulding inside to help direct airflow some more...

Maybe that makes a bit more sense...

Also, when I read Dawg's reply, for some reason, I burst out laughing.

I guess this is more of an insane cooling mod more than anything else, but is to build a box for your mobo and expansion cards. You make an airtight box that allows for smooth flow of liquid, then you fill it with oil, one of those types that DON'T conduct electricity (well unless a $500 incendiary grenade is your thing) and then hook it up like a normal water cooling unit. Except it's oil... So it's really unique, and really good at cooling EVERYTHING.

It is rather expensive, and messy (especially if you find out your airtight case isn't airtight). I've only seen this done once.

7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Smoke--
    You could use an ultrasonic atomizer (called a fountain mister but that's boring) To atomize a non-conductive, non-residue substance, thereby making smoke/mist.

--------------
    Tube PC---
    Hmm I think you have to have the moving parts, (IDE, CD-rom) in the very center or the gravitational forces would mess stuff up.

like CoolJoe said, mabye just a tube with fan's at one end

8. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Yah, I like that idea. And just for fun, you could sit your hard drive up right in it, then spin it in the opposite direction as the hard disc at the ungodly 7200rpm (or whatever yours may be, hehe) and you would have a hard disc that technically doesn't move! Ahh, the possibilities. Get some raid discs at 15000 rpm and spin that in the opposite. I think once it got up to speed the centripetal force would make it into a nice spinning debris bomb :eeek: .

Screw getting attacked by computers in virtual-reality, I'm scared of the physical computer that's shooting bits of mobo at me! *runs away*

AstrumPreliator
    "Brining inane comments of DOOM to a message board near you!"

9. banished

banished Necromodder

You could make the internal components stationary with CD at one of the ends and just have the case move around the components.

10. ZapWizard

-Here's one that a guy here at AMD gave me.
    A stone computer!
    It would have the be very stylish, mable with wood accents or go stoneage and make a flintstones pc.
    (Mabye just paint one)

11. banished

banished Necromodder

Sounds nice, I saw a nice sheet of thin granite at the Home Despot the other day, would make a nice cube with silver corners/accents :cooldude:

BTW, Zap, you are one proliferant mofo. You've only been here a little over 1 month and you already have half my post count - and I don't think I've seen more than one or two that could be considered spam. You've been doing some great mods and have good advice, just wanted to give you some kudos :D

12. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

i want to see a case made out of dead proc chips....although I doubt that anyone would be able to come by this many chips.... :sigh:

13. ::Dawg::

::Dawg:: What's a Dremel?

nah just tell everyone to send their dead chips your way

14. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

lol, ffs, a pc made of stone!!! Leave it outside to cool in the winter :D Its gonna weigh a tonne though (if it was made out of real stone that is...) I saw something on a site that I didnt expect to make a pc case out of, and thats copper pipes...It was kinda cool to see :cooldude:

15. ZapWizard

---------------------------------------

I have determined that an All plexi harddrive can be done!!!

I took apart an 1.6gig harddrive (Western Digital)

Once all the parts were apart you were left with a metal lid, and metal base.

The base and lid could both be duplicated with Plexi pretty easily.

I don't think I will do it because I have no need for a plexi harddrive. But I thought I would like to inform you all.

I can post pictures of all the parts if someone wants.

I will do it if anyone wants to buy 1.6gig all plexi hardrive.

As far as sheilding is conserned I don't think it will be a problem.
    RF noise won't hurt it, only a magnetic feild, and it would have to be pretty strong.

Also please vote on what to do with my laptop harddrive with window on my other post.

16. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

Zap, how much for that drive ? and will you promis it is gonna work ? And will you be able to make it go all ok to czech republic and work even here ? (I think this'ld be cool external HDD)

17. ZapWizard

Umm, I really don't want to make it, the drive isn't big enough to be worth it. (And I don't think it will make the shipping safely)

I am pretty sure it will work, as long as there are not strong EMF or RF fields near it.

No I do have idea's on how to make it.
    I think layered plexi would be best. since the metal in the drive has so many different shapes.

The operational electronics wouln't have to be in the same place either, they could be mounted a few inches away, leaving just the head and platter in the plexi.

18. doubleT

doubleT What's a Dremel?

wow this is the topic I waited for :)
    First of all: sorry for my English, I'll try not to make too much mistakes, I hope to improve English parallel to school by reading English Webpages and Forums.

Some time ago I had a few casemod-ideas which seemed to be very insane. One thing I remember was the LAN-pal:
    Take a dummy (right word? those figures(?) in the shop windows).
    You can just take the torso or you can take the whole dummy.
    I would prefer to take off the legs and arms an put them back on if I want to. Perhaps with moveable arms and legs. He could sit right next to you on a chair ... ;)

The computer would be in the torso.
    Just for fun i would make the head look like the head of a Borg (StarTrek).

As in Matrix, all cables have to come out of the neck.

Another idea was suggestes a few replies before (but nut exactly the same as this):
    Build a Windtunnel. I would prefer a tunnel that is alongsite the wall in front of me on my desk. About 1m long and 40 - 50cm in diameter. In the center could be a Flatscreen on the outside of the tunnel (but still right on/in the whole construction!)
    Beside the Screen are the drives on the on the one side and the hardware on the other side (with good view on it)!

The third idea is more realizable:
    I want to cast my own cube-case with transparent plastic. It should look like a melting icecube! With rounded edges an indentations (?) on the side. Perhaps 40 - 50cm each side!
    Inside the Icecube has to be a real case (incl. hardware :) )
    The openings on the back and parts of the front should look as if the ice is cracked there to get to the drives/cards/switches.
    The whole cube has to be a little milky with clear parts that look as if they were scratched/rubed free.

I had some other ideas, too! But I won't tell them!
    A few I have forgotten and some I want to do by myself ;p

All of this ideas are realizable! But in my opinion they are rather expensive! And I have not much money to spend for this ideas!
    So if you like them and have the money - do it! :)

Only the icecube-thing is something I realy want to do somewhen.

I hope you won't crucify me because of my bad English :)
    I did my best

ciao,
    [doubleT]

Last edited: 27 Oct 2002
  19. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

That ice cube case idea sounds bloody cool.

Hmmm..... No wI have endless ideas...... Yess......

And that dummy idea is really cool, get one to look like a woman (well I'm a guy who prefers women, so the sex of your choice I guess), then put the power switches "where the sun don't shine".. Thta'd be great at a LAN.......... Hmm.. Yes........

/me goes into shopping malls finding dummies........

20. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

DANG! These are some great ideas...and im considering implementing someinto my next project, perhaps a motor to lift the top of the case(im building a cube, so Ill access most of it from the top) so it would be easy to work on.