1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ZapWizards' INSANE ideas, and ORIGINAL idea's you don't have the money/knowledge for.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 21 Oct 2002.

1. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

ah right ;) lol - my bad...mis-interpreted
    Remember, when making an electromagnet, the strength of the magnetic field depends on how many turns the wire goes around the metal (making a coil), how much current goes thru it and whether a soft iron core is in the presence of the electromagnet (basically, using soft iron as the metal).

For the floating effect, u need to get the upward force of the electromagnet (attractive force) equal to the weight of the object (weight and mass are different). This should hopefully balance the forces acting on the object and make it float like the globe (sorry with all this physics terms and nonsense, but it has to be said).
    I fink thats all u need.

U dont really need the permanent magnet cos as soon as u get a megnetic field running around the elctromagnet u can just adjust it. =]
    Aaaanayway, id love to see it done in the end...

2. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Ok, first time that I've read through this post.

One thing I noticed was the tesla coils and I thought you may be interested to see this.

It's a number of tesla coils that one of the technicians in my department at Uni built for a laugh.

Last time I checked, it was the biggest coil of it's type in the UK.

It can produce 20ft sparks, and if you set it off near a bonfire, it will arc through the air till it hits the smoke (much better conductor) then down into the fire.

http://uk.geocities.com/ks_god/tesla/

scroll to the bottom

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Get as technical as you like in here,
    I understand everything you are saying,
    (BTW I'm not a teenage amature)

I don't want it to take a lot of current, so simple using an electromagnet to Boost or Weaken the permenament magnet's feild will work just fine. Plus it will be easier to manager as it takes time for a feild to rise and fall, so if I had a large current field it wouln't be able to switch fast enough to keep the pen stable. (Unless I use a TON of power, but this is a pen, not an experiment)

The magnet in the cap of the pen is strong enough to make the pen stick to the bottom of peice of metal and hold it with some good force.

4. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

ah right, fair enuff - reinforcing the perm magnet's magnetic field is cool - just remember that u must balance the forces so that it does float, if u can get close the pen will move up or down at a slow rate but if u get it perfect it will just stay there.

Again, u dont need alot of current - its just a pen. U need to suspend the magnet a bit higher me finx, so that the pen does use its weight (but at the same time, the pen itself is experiencing an attractive force upwards).
    If u find yourself using too much current, put more turns of wire around the electromagnet.
    BUT not too much ;)

If u are dealing with electricity like 8-Ball's technician friend, alot of coils can give yaself a bad-ass electric field. 8-Ball's friend sort of made a transformer type thing, which would literally, send a massive amount of voltage through anything its attracted to within its electric field (157kV i think is the maximum of the magnifier) and the tesla coil system that his friend used really is efficient! 20 ft of sparks :eeek: :eeek:

5. ZapWizard

6. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

ah...thats very good :)
    see that lovely coil? ^_^ u shud protect it as well, like he did zap ;)

7. ZapWizard

Revived! ZapWizard's Insane Mod Ideas

Just thought that is was time to refresh everyones brains with some insane ideas.

This is a list of stuff that no-one has done before, so feel free to try them out.
    Some of these are hard, some are easy.
    Feel free to post your own ideas for mods.

8. ZapWizard

-Motorized PC door, either open to side, up, or split in the middle.
    Mabye even move flush with the side's of the case.
    Also motorized lock when shut.
    Built in keypad using touch sensors to provide combination lock.
    Auto lock and close after PC enters screensaver.
    (With delay to stop anoying mis-fires)
    Auto open (if closed) when CD is ejected from PC software.

-Steathed drives with Plexy on front that entirly lights when drive is active. (Mabye with DVD or CDRW etched into it)
    You would open the drive using a proximity sensor, no touch, just wave your hand. (IR or Proximity)

-Steathed drives that open in split, (Like old CD-Rom doors)
    Mabye springs, or mabye motorized

-Active sound dampening, using a tranducer mounted to the case to absorb vibrations in the case.

-Hardrive with window mounted virtical in the front of the PC, so you can see it from front bezel instead of top window.

-Or the same as above with a slot DVD window (They can be virticle mounted) Load the disk via the top/side or the PC

-Rotating fan (on motor base), move fresh air to parts of the computer that rarley get air. (CDRW, DVD, between cards)

-PDA docking station made into LCD on front Bezel
    When you dock you PDA into your PC it becomes the LCD on the front of your PC showing stat's news and pic's. When you dock your PDA it automaticaly starts showing stat's
    (I want to do this with my IPAQ)
    (I have a older busted IPAQ i may just make into a Stat's LCD)

-Auto temp leveling Peltier controller,
    Keeps Peltier exactly at room temp, so no condensation, while it will increase in power just when the processor starts heating up.
    No switching circuits, true linear control.

-Use logic probe to find connections on video cards/sound cards/etc that strobe when in use to make LED indicators that flash when active. Always on LED's are useless.

-Oscilliscope readout on front of PC, showing anything you want.
    (Power noise, CPU speed, Audio)
    Hardware based instead of an parallel port LCD

-Combination lock on PC (Bezel), won't power on, or activate mouse/keyboard unless unlocked. Must be styled

-Robotic mouse! Make it run around your desktop when your not at your PC, hack the optical eye to allow for edge/direction detection. Add some simple motors for movement.
    (Make sure it can't click-and-delete anything on your PC)
    Hehe, Bad Mouse!

-Steathed keyboard!
    Make a motorized keyboard stand that makes the keyboard come out from under the desk at the touch of a button
    (Make the mouse run to a specific spot on the desk too)

-Character changing keyboard (Product not a mod)
    Key's can change via LCD/Light/superthin display
    Customize the keyboard for language or games.

-Steathed Monitor!
    Make and LCD come up from/behind the desk.
    Or Use an hidden projector to make it look as if no monitor is on your desk. Project the image on a wall/motorized screen.

-Move DVD/CDRW's closer under your monitor.
    Hack USB 2.0 or Firewire drives and mount them under your monitor, like the old IBM black PC's

-One massive efficient power supply for everything connected to your PC!
    Custom made to provide lots or power to your PC, External Devices and such. No more power blocks, multiple power strips.
    Use a plug-and-play system such as radioshack universal power supplies. (Multiple tips, one cord)
    Provide UPS, filtered ATX, 12v, 5v, Adjustable outputs.

-Self rotating LCD motorized at the touch of a button it would change to virtical mode (Radeon cards even support this built in, no custom monitor needed, get Rage3D Tweaker)

-Auto rotating monitor, make the monitor track you as you move around. Slump in the chair, sit up, or stand to read quick news, it will always face you just right.

9. ZapWizard

-Make a strobing 120mm LED fan with multiple LED's/fibre per blade. Then when it spins you use a microcontroller to display stats on the fan's LEDs. (Similar to the stupid clocks you see at the store) You could even still use a variable speed fan and just make the microcontroller read the tachometer sensor and adjust accordingly. Add text to the front of your PC showing stats.
    Mabye a fan in the rear with stuff to **** off the guy across the table at the LAN.

-Motorized flat panel speakers attached to the side/back of your monitor. They would fold out as soon as you turn your PC on.

-8.5"x11"Scanner in the side of the case (motherboard side)
    Easily scan all your school papers, and bills.
    Mabye with switchable shreder for papers you don't need hard copies of. (Currenty am looking for a cheap scanner to get rid of my huse pile of archived bills)

-Suspended magnetic mouse.
    Use large magets imbeded in a mouse pad to levitate your mouse.
    Zero friction! Make sure an include magnetic sheilding kit for PC and monitor. Or you could use the spinning disk induced magnetic levitation effect. Large thick spinning metal disk in a mouse pad, and a magnet in the mouse, when the disk is spinning it will levitate the mouse above the mouse pad. This way you would not have to worry about magnetic fields effecting your monitor, and sheilding could be built into the top of the mouse.

-Or simply use lower power magnets to provide lift on the mouse and lower friction (but not levitate)

-Spy cam inside your PC with LCD on front of PC.
    (I think I saw this somewhere, or is was a dream)
    I think someonehad a remote control camera inside his PC.

-Laser keyboard, similar to "virtual keyboard" product,
    but use a laser grid to replace the keys on a keyboard, you type by breaking the laser connection. Feedback would be through sound, pulsed light
    The perfect add on to all those Plexi cases

-A plexi keyboard, with key's names etched into plexiglass.
    Would have to remain sylish. Mabye emeded copper wires with old style switches. (Or laser mod above in a all plexi box)

-Automatic CD-RW loader.
    Make a device that can load a cd off those huge cd spindles, and place it on your CD-RW. Not a cd-duplicator machine, but a add on to a PC. Mabye with a 50 pack inside/top of the PC.

-Credit card scanner built into the PC
    Make it easy to spend money on eBay, why type the numbers on your card, just swipe it!

-Thumb print activated power switch (or keyboard/mouse lock)
    I think project Sunfire may be doing this

-Lighted front vacume tubes
    Put a couple tubes in the front of your PC (Say in a window) that are also the inverter/amp/something for your PC
    Make it very old school

-Optical illusions via HD/DVD window, make a holagram or image mirror off your Harddrive or DVD when it is on.

-Holagram in your window, not a sticker but etched into the plexi/glass

-Atomizer cooled PC, use a sprayer to spray a (Noncoductive) liquid directly onto parts of your PC too cool them.
    Let is run down to the bottom where it is filtered/cooled/recycled
    (Jet plane PC's are supposed to use this system)

-Bit-Charg controled by PC, mabye even a super tiny wireless camera. or a Robotic bitcharge car, who needs a remote!

-Steathed keyboard buttons, say have all the function buttons hidden in the keyboard and have the pop out when you need them. Makes keyboard less cluttered when you just need to chat.

-LED Backlit keyboard, who's buttons light when you press them, then fade off. Leaving a trailing effect as you type Mabye run at 50% brightness at night for backlighting.

-Circuit to allow a folding palm keyboard for use as a normal PC keyboard. Perfect is you have a micro pc, and want to take it to the lan in your backpack.

-Mini PC air conditioner, cool the air as it enter's your case.
    http://www.zapwizard.com/PC_AC/index.html

-Very expensive idea: Get one of those new LCD based house windows, the kind you can turn transparent and back with a switch, and put it in your PC!

-Build a UPS directly into a power supply, or PC case.
    It would be difficute to find some light batteries to use instead of lead acid. Mabye some hacked laptop batteries? Or you could just have a theft resistant 100lb case!
    (I need to weigh mine i swear it's up to 45lb's)

-Electronics PC, built in voltmeter, power suppy, oscilloscope.
    Mabye even part's storage.
    (Our oscilliscope's at AMD run windows, are a whole PC, and have two huge 120mm fans)

-Kazaa server, (I think I am going to make this)
    Just a normal PC connected to the net downloading Kazaa 24/7
    But it would have remote control software or a KBM switch.
    Would also double as a file server.
    (Currently my pc is too powerful to leave on 24/7 it just heats the whole house, not to mention increasing the electricity bill)

-Smoke PC, figure out a way to have contstant smoke/mist in your PC, see airflow via cold cathode, mabye lasers bouncing around inside. Mabye if the whole PC is sealed, filled with smoke, and the air circuitalted through a heat exchanger.

-Here's one that a guy here at AMD gave me.
    A stone computer!
    It would have the be very stylish, mable with wood accents or go stoneage and make a flintstones pc.
    (Mabye just paint one)

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

There's no worse thread reviver than me but lets keep it organized and stop staring at me with that big eye!

merged threads for your increased comfort!

11. ZapWizard

I was already doing that!
    Couldn't figure out why all the sudden the tread went missing.

12. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

/me likes the idea of the robotic mouse...

I would realize this, but I sux0r at electronics...
    just a few hints if someone wants to realize this:
    Google Mark Tilden robotics. For them who don't know who Tilden is, He invented a new brand of robotic all analogical, he makes simple robots that act like insects with very few components.
    If someone knows how to implement a timer in this we've got a Robo-mouse...

(sorry for the bad engrish, I cannot spell things correctly)

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

How about a keyboard with clear keys, each with a blue LED under them, so you can play in the dark but still see the keyboard.

14. ZapWizard

15. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

"-Spy cam inside your PC with LCD on front of PC.
    (I think I saw this somewhere, or is was a dream)
    I think someonehad a remote control camera inside his PC."

Too late, had that idea before .)

16. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

"-Holagram in your window, not a sticker but etched into the plexi/glass"

You had that idea yourself already ;) (Or was it mine ?:))

17. ReversaL

ReversaL What's a Dremel?

i have a few, most not very original...

- a finger print reader bult into your keyboard.

- Remote control PC, stick it on a modded RC car :D (totaly useless)

- Popup LCD, VFD, Speaker from the top of the case

- Slot loading dvd rom placed verticaly so the CDs pop out the top of the case.

- some images printed on clear sheet plastic that will role past the window when you press a button (like those add signs that change)

18. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've no problem with anyone attempting this idea coz I don't have the facilities to attept something as outlandish as this and my case is too small anyway:waah:

Mount a scanner on the inside of a side window. It would have to be a slim one like a Canoscan.

19. ZapWizard

I just got an e-mail from a guy who is putting one in his top window.

Plus a printer out the side.

20. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Drat! Too slow!!!