1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Damn zap, are you done yet???

2. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

havn't posted in awhile, so:

VERY NICE!

can you even fit anyhting else in there?

hows the actual airflow? i know you've said in the past that there should be plenty, but is air actually moving? and do you have a close up of the dvd drive. from the looks of the pic, the mesh lines up very nicely. does that interfere with the opening/closing of the drive at all?

other then that: pro work as always!

ps: get on irc so i can congratulate you in "person" :D

3. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Well Zap that stealthed DVD looks so sweet.

I don't think you will have to worry about anybody finding that at the Lans, You'll probably have problems finding it yourself...lol

Keep it up mate

4. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this comes a bit too late, as you are in the finishing off stages etc for your project, but I was wondering if these:

http://www.krone.co.uk/industrial/default.asp

Could be useful to you? They are basically super heavy duty Cat5 couplers/plugs/sockets.

5. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

The end is in site, the time has just wizzed past.

Looks great :)

6. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

That stealthed drive really is stealthed, you got the mesh pattern to line up nearly exactly, very nice, as always!

Getting worried about how much room is actually left, esepially to get a hard drive in. Hope you have some fans near where you are going to put it, i think you have them wierd like sideways ones that you always seem to have.

Great work!

-cLoWn

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Man, this project is looking absolutely stunning. I love it.

Great work Zap :) :rock:

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I can still fit quite a bit inside without worrying about airflow.
    I will put the throbber circuit under the motherboard at the front.
    I will be able to fit the batteries for the lights on-top of the PCI slots.
    I should be able to fit a harddrive behind the CD-Rom.
    (It will also end up in direct air-flow from the PSU)

The airflow so far is good.
    The PSU pulls air straight from the outside.
    I will duct air directly into the CPU, so it will have fresh air also.
    All the space shorter then the dimms is open, and will have good air flow.

The grill work on the DVD doesn't interfere with closing the drive at all. But I do need to open the hole at the back some more for easier movement.

The HD will have good airflow, if not I will add some fans.
    I am having to sacrifice a harddrive out of my main PC for now.
    I may end up putting a laptop drive in here in the end.

Heck no!
    The case will be done for the most part in time for the next LAN.
    But I still have the throbbing circuit, and permanent harddrive to install.
    The battery powered lights, a graphics card to get.

Also I received the second case last night :clap:
    It is large enough to house a full PC inside, with LCD.
    It will be used to house an LCD, mouse, (Mabye a mini-keyboard), game CD's cables, etc....

9. slyman

slyman What's a Dremel?

Re: Anyone for VFD Images?

Hey Zap, maybe try to get/make a radar screen animation showing the sweep and a blinking approaching target type thing?
    Kinda like this but better? of course square it a bit, or make it sweep side to side..
    http://www.gifs.net/animate/radar.gif
    Just a thought.. Awesome mod!!!!!!!
    :geek:

10. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

i think that about covers it damn f'n nice case you got there :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

11. Alizarin

Alizarin What's a Dremel?

Holy cow! I was looking for an agp riser a little while ago and the cheapest one I found was US$70+... looks like I'll be getting one of these then. Would lend itself nicely to the case I wanna build for it :naughty:

To bad they don't have one that reverses the card (they have one for pci) so I can put one of those giant northbridge heatsinks on this crappy TNT2 I have (has no heatsink, runs a little hot) and not interfear with the rest of the motherboard... Edit: They do have one of the reversing cards but it won't fit on the motherboard... the 2nd cpu (yes, it is a dual processor board) is too close to the agp slot (I've got a picture on this digital camera but no cable, maybe post later) for it to work.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2003
  12. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I got images of the second case now:

[​IMG]

This case was made for transporting night vision goggles, and is very rugged.
    The top is held on by six very tight latches, and the handle is spring loaded so that it is never loose.
    The lid totaly detaches from the top.
    The small circle at the bottom is a pressure release valve as this case is totaly air/water tight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

The case is the same size around as the LAN PC's case, only taller.

[​IMG]

Inside it has formed foam for holding equipement.
    I plan on cutting new foam to hold my mouse, and cables.

[​IMG]

Without the foam the insides are 14x12 inches, and the top is 4 inches deep, and the bottom is 6 inches deep.

I plan on mounting a 15" LCD into the top or bottom, depending on how that works out later.

13. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Couldnt you get a monitor in there, have a complete matching ammo/night vision case theme for a complete LAN rig??

-cLoWn

14. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

Re: I got images of the second case now:

i would say the bottome would probably be cooler, that way you dont have to have a stand, and it could block light so you dont get any type of glare, o, and so the person next to you cant see where you are on the a map :rock:

15. Werksmini

Werksmini What's a Dremel?

You could put the monitor in the top of that larger case. Then make a stand or something and put that on top of the ammo case. Or just some stands, that would be uber cool. Then have like a metal sheet or something to put on top when the box is closed with stand offs to protect the lcd.

I havent said anything else so far. Bud danm this is a sweet mod. How much do you think you could get for one of these computers (media pc)

16. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I'd say that top and bottom mounting both have advantages. The top's advantage is that the display is less likely of recieving damage, the bottom's would be the decrease glare and less snooping.

Either way it'll probably be great. :thumb:

17. PrnkstrO

PrnkstrO What's a Dremel?

Since the lid is seperate from the base I think it would be cool if when you took the lid off it doubled as the base to a monitor stand. You could rig something up where when you take the lid off you then set the lid down on the table and the other piece witht the monitor snaps into it and the lid holds the part with the monitor up.

I hope you understand what I mean. I have a picture in my head and its hard to explain.

18. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I say mount it in the top. :)

L J

19. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

:jawdrop: Wow! what can I say.

Can't wait to see that one modded. How much did the cases cost you. Sorry if you had already stated it.

When are you palnning on starting that one ?

I've just managed to blag a old 486 computer from work, It's only 4" high. It just screems HTPC. Will post some pics later. It even has a PCI riser card with it.

Keep up the good work Zapman..

20. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

ammo box and trunk heat

Zap
    With all the cloudy weather yesterday with my ammo box in the trunk of my car (we ordered our boxes at the same time). The box only got up to 110°F (43.3°C) outside and 108°F (42.2°) inside. As for the glue stick that I had taped to the top of the box did not melt but did fall (probably from my driving).

I will post more temps tomorrow morning we should be getting a sunnier day today.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2003