1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

Zap... I was going to use this Idea for my case but i can't seem to get it to work correctly. so I am offering it to you.

My Case has a nice size matrix of holes on the side to allow air flow. My thought was to take about 20 super bright LEDS and wire each one to it's own "randomly Pulsing PWM Circuit" Giving the effect of some type of radioactive material inside my case powering the computer. I was going to mount it somehow to a wheel to keep the circuit moving around in the case. and have the LEDS mounted on the wheel in a totally random fashion.

I ask that if you can figure out how to do this let me know because i can't nail it down.

This might be a neat effect for in the 2nd box. "!!CORE SAMPLES!!"

Also you should get 2 or 3 of those green lazer pointers that you can see the lines coming out of it and make it look like the green is spilling out of the computer.

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

It's been linked several times. www.colemans.com

----------------------------

Skywalker:
    If you are randomly pulsing the LEDs I am not sure that you would need them to also move around on a wheel.

As far as core samples.. it's nice, but I think I will stick with my current plans.
    I do however like the green laser idea.
    Since I won't be getting the LCD for a while, I may be able to come up with some good plans to do that.

-----------------------------

Tonight I will have images of the last installed LED
    The DVD final mounting and more.

3. NoObY-DoObY

NoObY-DoObY Hanging on by a thread...

oh.... sorry

4. raxxo

raxxo New Member

:wallbash: :waah: :duh: Sorry Zap removed the link... thought I forgot to push the sendbutton or something...

btw love your work...

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Whew....finally finnished reading all 25 pages! :geek:

This case is awesome. Great Job! :clap:

As for the LEDs that make the atomic symbol on the fan....
    Why not just make 3 triangles (so it kinda looks like an atomic sign grill) and then just paint it black or something. Then you wouldn't have to use the 3 LEDs like that and it would just shine through Where you want it to shine through. I understand that this might block some of the area for air to flow, but just make those clear plexi legs you already have into triangles and paint them black.

6. ZapWizard

I didn't want to simply use a grill as I wanted the glow to come from behind the fan, that and I also wanted it so be stealthed.
    Also the plexi legs are really hardly visible when the fan is lit, if they were black I might get a two-tone shade of black -vs- the dark-green behind it.

One thing this PC does is hide its' true self until it's powered up.

When closed the case looks curious :eyebrow:
    When opened the face plate gives it a WOW! factor :eeek:
    Once I press the power button, well most people are speachless :jawdrop:

-------------
    Text update:

Right now I am nearly 100% Done with the PC.
    I am doing the final mounting of parts, and shorting up a few cables, and I should have an update tonight.

-------------
    Also the first thread to reach 100,000 viewings :rock:

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Oh, I understand now. If you did it the way I was thinking, the fan blades would mess up the image (I thought of putting the grill on the side facing inward and then a led to shine through the holes)

8. ZapWizard

Ok now for some promised updates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the vue meter working, for some reason I couldn't make the needle simply drop by shorting it's coil.
    So instead the needle hovers around 5volts and then jumps higher when active.
    A short pulse makes the needle jump all the way.
    When highly active it just hovers around the fan voltage.
    In all it has a good visual effect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

I then installed my last Green LED.
    It lights the right fan grill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

It also projects a wicked effect onto the ground in front of the PC.

[​IMG]

Next I wired up the Network activity LED, and the Rear Surround Audio
    I did this by soldering directly to the pins on the back of the motherboard.

[​IMG]

The NIC was wired up and hotglued in place.

[​IMG]

The rear sound along with two-ground wires was wired near the front panel audio header that already exists on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Next I got my Radeon 9200 Pro 128 in.
    It's the fastest low-profile card I could find for the money.
    The Bonus is that the second VGA jack already uses a header, so this saves me having to solder up my own.
    More on the Radeon tommorow.

[​IMG]

Now the rig is complete with all the parts running.
    I now have 100% of the parts in place and ready to be installed.
    Also note that no parts are held on by velcro anymore, that was just a rushed temporary solution.
    All the parts do fit in the case, but a little too tight for my tastes.
    So tommorow I will trim a little off the back door to give me an extra 1/4" of space to work with.

9. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

looks great!:thumb: :rock: :clap: :rock: :thumb: :clap:

cant wait to see it done... Tomarrow?:lol: :naughty: :confused:

10. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Completion is near! MWAHAHAHA! :rock:

How's that 9200 Pro perform by the way?

Edit:

And what are the dimensions of the card?

Also!! Give temp readings! :thumb:

11. flyman

flyman New Member

Oh my God that case is so mad! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :clap:

The key to turn off the USB ports is such a cool idea, i must do it on my next case mod. :clap:

The only thing I don't like is the way you've got the power cable, way to dangerous in my
    opinion if someone was to unplug it at a LAN and touch it zap, and then all the consequences
    which come along with that happening, Just something you might want to think about. :)

Otherwise excellent job and keep it up :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Aug 2003
  12. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

Great case...
    personaly i dont think its such a big deal with the outlet;) :eyebrow:

I mean zap is the only on thats gonna use it and if someone messes with it and gets "zaped"( No pun intended.. i wish we had a zaped smiley..hint hint)
    they get what they desevere:D :hehe:

just put a little label on it like danger high voltage or somthing... if every ones so worried about it..:sigh:

13. flyman

flyman New Member

All I am saying is it's better to be safe then sorry :)

14. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

15. ZapWizard

Ok this is going to be a series of HUGE UPDATES
    I have the PC 100% together and running, I am posting more than 30 new images, so sorry 56kers this will take a while.
    Also many of the images are click-able for large versions so you guys can get a good view.
    All this new extra traffic may slow my site down, so please be patient, thank you

16. ZapWizard

[​IMG]

I finaly got everything into the case.
    (Trust me it's in there)

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the front of the case

[​IMG]

And a shot of the rear of the case.

17. ZapWizard

[​IMG]

In order to ensure good air flow in this cramped case I added a lot of fans in stratigic locations.
    I added a fan to the Northbridge, a Fan to pull air off the power regulators.
    And a powerfull mini-blower fan to push the air up and over the graphics card to the front of the PC.
    I also cut-down some RAM sinks and thermaly-adhered them to the power regulators.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the rig running outside of the case.
    All the parts are in their final location.
    It's a tight fit, nothing rattles or moves inside the case when transported.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Here is a shot from the side.
    Note the only way to install a full size harddrive was to install it at and angle, but there was just enough room to do so.

[​IMG]

All the parts except the faceplate can slide in the back of the case.
    Then, from the front, I wire up the faceplate and push it into place.

18. ZapWizard

[​IMG]

Now with everthing installed the LAN PC is ready for its' first real run while inside the case.

[​IMG]

The system was plugged in and powered up.

(The first series of images here will be without the cables attached, the final images are further down in this log)

[​IMG]

And an angle shot for ya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The system looks VERY awsome when running in the dark.

[​IMG]

The LED's that light up the slots on top of the case give off a very bright glow that lights up anything to the sides of the PC

19. ZapWizard

[​IMG]

This PC has quite a new unique externaly visible modifications that really set it apart.
    My favorite is the Atomic symbol fan

[​IMG]

The 40,000 mcd LED lit Logitech MX300 mouse

(mcd stands for milicandela, so the mouse has 40 candle power of light radiating from it, or in other words each LED is twice as bright as the LED in your optical mouse)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 58,000 MCD Dual Cold Cathode Lit USB Keyboard
    (With built in USB HUB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My homemade Quadraphonic Surround Sound Headphones.
    Each side of the headphones had two 1" KOSS Titanium drivers.
    They have a frequency response of <10-24,000hz, and can put out LOTS of volume.
    Enought that they can be used a mini speakers if I need to demo some sounds for others.

[​IMG]

The custom designed Radioactive Warning label.
    Dredog did an AWSOME job of aging the image for me.
    The image is printed on photo paper and a high resolution.
    It was then passed through a laminator/sticker maker, that both laminated the top side, and added a sticky backing to the rear side.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot showing the HD and LAN Activity LEDs lit up

[​IMG]

Here is a screen shot of the PC in operation as it currently stands.
    I will of course make a new wall-paper that fits the theme better.
    The program at the top of the screen is called sysmatix (use google)
    Other customizations include Custom Icons, Windows Skinning, Custom Cursor, and other windows effects. (www.wincustomize.com)

I choose orange as this PC is themed for Halflife2, and when running the Orange really contrasts nicely with the green of the PC.
    Later when I use a LCD screen I plan on re-doing the whole thing to fit an old school green-screen look.

20. ZapWizard

This is the last update for tonight, you so you can now reply to all the above images

[​IMG]

All the jacks on the PC are customized, and work perfectly for their function.
    From left to right the cables are:

3-Pin XLR (plugged in): Power Cable
    4-Pin XLR: Network Cable
    10-Pin Round: VGA Cable (Ordered from digikey.com)
    2.5mm Round: Used to provide power for the keyboard lights
    4-Pin CB Mic Jack: Used for USB for the keyboard
    4-Pin CB Mix Jack: Used for USB for the mouse
    1/4" Stereo Phono Jack: Used for Front Audio Out
    1/4" Stereo Phono Jack: Used for Rear Audio Out

[​IMG]

Now I have everything connected, and the whole PC up and running

Now for some good eye candy shots for ya'll

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]