1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

You can use any image you wish, but please don't direcelty link it.
    Use your own host, or a free host like www.uploadit.org

The best images are here:
    www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/highres

2. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Will be posted shortly.

3. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

I've said this before and I'll say it again in the politest terms.

Zap, you really have to learn that not everyone on the net is here to kiss your ass.

People providing criticism is part of putting something on public display. If you can't deal with that aspect, then keep your work to yourself.

On the performance vs looks debate, you say you're all about community, yet you show an incredible lack of respect for the work of countless people using low power, SFF kit.

Yes, there is an element of modding surrounding high performance computing alone, but it's a niche, it does not encompass all of modding.
    Again, the modding community does not revolve around you and your opinion. Perhaps you would like to rephrase previous comments, as some people may get that impression of your opinion.

Perhaps someone would like to start a thread dedicated to the performance vs looks debate to avoid further hijacking Zap's 'Vote for me' thread.

At this point I'd like to wish good luck to all TechTV's mod competition contestants.

4. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't really care about all the "politics" in modding I just like ZapWizard's mod. That's why I posted his work at www.spodesabode.com. Good Luck Zap! :thumb:

5. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

that quote,^ is the type of thing I am talking about... I see that, and my mind says "step right up folks, Come see the amazing cure all that has been deemed a certified miracle in the middle east and urasia!!!... My tonic will cure warts, pimples, impotence, stupidity and oversized feet!...".

By selling, I don't mean monitarily, I mean like a politician "sells " himself to the public for votes. When you point out the weaknesses of your opponents, It makes you weaker in the process. Most of us would like to see you win, but not at the expense of your good name.

6. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

I personally like all the cases...they are all pretty original (zap mentioned something bout hte matrix case) but as far as ive seen none of these have been duplicated. Everyones got great ideas and i think that they should consider themselves eleet for the fact they got into the finals. 70 people sumbitted they said. and they narrowed it down to 4 people!...that shows that these guys are the best of what they do. I like the mil fal becuase of all the time he spent working everything into it, i like the PS2 because...well its ps2 that u can carry around, i like the matrix becuase its a very nice custom design and it shows alot of inginuity...and as for zaps, ive had a soft spot with dad being in the military and the fact we have a metal ammo case in the basement, and the whole design aspect of it is original..w/ the plugs and all of that its amazing.

Not one case on there is perfect. They all are amazing and the contest is going to be hard i can see that right now, but thats right not everyones gonna kiss ass...hes askin not tellin...if u wanna vote for someone else then vote for someone else. Not like hes gonna make something that kills u if u dont...

Frankly to me, Zaps like a celebrity now, and I feel almost honored to be talkin to him. And same with any one else with a nice mod like g-gnome and all of them I kiss his ass cuz his work is amazing...i am an "independent asskisser" i kiss whoms ass i want to...The fact hes on tv means they recognize his skill and chose him over everyone else

7. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

This thread has now been fixed and opened again, all posts will be left as is, as it has been decided that they merit some sides to an argument.

I'm sure we're all pleased for Zap winning the competition, there is a thread already in Modding where you can congratulate Zap, therefore this thread does not warrant replies based only on "Congratulations Zap!" please keep this sort of comment down in this project log and others. Thanks.

8. ZapWizard

Thanks for closing the thread.

It is too bad that some people get their kicks out of antagonizing others in the modding community.

9. ZapWizard

Today I received some pretty nasty prank calls.

I have tracked them down to a modder un-related to the contest.
    But, it shows that modding is getting a little too hot for some.

10. ZapWizard

11. ZapWizard

Hey folks I WON!

Thanks for all the support and people who voted.

But this project isn't about compo's I will have some new updates soon!!!

Details from techTV here:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3536290,00.html

And general congrats PLEASE post here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41665

Thanks to Phat for managing the thread while I was away.

Also if the images end up dead the server is being upgraded to T1 soon, so there may be some slow times for a week or so

12. MAXXMODDER

MAXXMODDER What's a Dremel?

bah dident read about congrats thread sorry :(

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

What did they say if you dont mind me asking?

Regardless I think its pretty stupid for someone to do that as well as immature.

Im looking forward to you updating the media pc.

14. ZapWizard

They said they were from TechTV, and that an intern had dropped my PC and that it could not be on the show tonight. (Alond with more stuff)
    I had to call Yoshi 10minutes before the show, and of course the PC is just fine.

In either case it was low, but pretty short lived.

15. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

thats messed up that someone would do that...

16. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

What’s really sad is that some one took the time to find Zap's home phone number and took even more time to call him twice.

17. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Wouldnt it survive being dropped?
    HEHE

You said yourself you dropped it once.

18. ZapWizard

He also said crap like, "the LCD is hanging out the front"
    (Which it's not a LCD, nor if it fell it would fall into the case"
    It was well planned, too bad we wasted so much time :D

---------------

Folks, I have a few projects in line, but the LAN PC still has more to come.

19. wayn3

wayn3 What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking about your case design and I like it a lot. I've been thinking of taking some of your ideas in order for me to make the (to me) ultimate portable file server. One of things I would add is an 802.11b card so that I can use it on a WLAN. Are there any good antenna mod sources, or would I have to roll my own?

ZapWizard, are you using a PCI riser card in your rig? How many cards can it hold?

I'm also thinking about soemthing goofy like thumb wheel switches for setting IP addresses...

wayn3

20. ZapWizard

I have only a AGP low profile card. no risers
    It's a microATX board so I guess it could hold three PCI cards.
    But the harddrive blocks any PCI slots I could use.