1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's Media PC -Project on hold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 4 Jan 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Zap, you are a god. I've been going through your site and all of your posts here on bit-tech, and all's I can say is, you are a god. You've given me so much inspiration and so much technical insight that I never even would of imagined. Right now I'm totaly reworking my main computer, rewiring just about everything and doing amazing things with plexi glass.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2004
  2. Evilnads

Evilnads What's a Dremel?

I know that you want to access some functions of the lcd outside windows, but most if not all functions won`t work (tv tuner etc), so why don`t you use a full colour lcd designed, say for a gamecube (5" diagonal) and use the second output of the video card for display. a usb joypad could bed cannabilised for input, or for the ultimate mod, a small touch panel from http://www.magictouch.com/builtin_lcd.html . bought one for a 15" Samsung TFT and have not looked back. Not only that, but it would also display Video, fullscreen and full motion, plus no need for any buttons. I have read most of the thread, but not all so please forgive if someone has posted suggesting this already.

3. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

gj Zap i really like the media pc! i know your working on a fully functional remote for your project, are you planning for a wireless keyboard and mouse build into a livingroom foot cussion? Would be a cool idea to just lift it up and do whatever then put it back down.

maybe even have a powercell put into the stool to power them so you don't have to waste batteries..

anyways just my ideas, keep up the work!

Tim

4. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Zap...what about glowing feet, have you thought about that? a soft low voltage LED perhaps?

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

God, it took so long reading through the "omg this is gonna rawk" posts to actually find anything

I hope it can live up to the hype you've injected into it. Been a long time since anything's happened tho. In fact it's been so long, the thread should be moved out of project logs if following the rules ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

^^
    sounded a bit more negative than i intended. best of luck with the project, sack off all that unimportant life/work and get going tbh!

6. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

dudeyourmomiscute: Yes I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse. The receiver is even hacked for longer range.

Pistol: I thought about that at first, but decided on effect lighting around the edges for a UFO glow look under the whole PC.

mrplow: I know, I know.
    My current project (No log yet) will help me learn more about making the case properly.
    After that all I need is programming.

7. dudeyourmomiscute!

Zap, how is the case going to open? are you conna have a spring loaded or motorized opening rail so when you push a button it slowly, smoothly opens?

just a thought, keep up the good work!

Tim

8. ZapWizard

I plan on a sliding motherboard tray out the back.

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey Zap, don't know if you covered this or not (tried searching for it, no luck), how did you extend the range on your wireless keyboard and mouse? Wouldn't mind doing that for my Retro Media Center rig (on/off switch can be used from like 30 feet away, so why not the keyboard/mouse?).

10. dudeyourmomiscute!

Zap, are you gonna use a light theme? Also what material are you going to use for the case? aluminum?

11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Good good :)

I'm also interested in the expansion of the wireless peripherals' range... how did you do that?

12. ZapWizard

Took forever to find, but here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?postid=301678#post301678

All Red, and nothing but LEDs for as pure red as possible.
    I hope to have the case 100% acrylic

13. dudeyourmomiscute!

Hey Zap what tube are you going, planning to hook this monster up to?

one more thing are you going to use red acrylic?

keep up the nice work!

Tim

14. ZapWizard

I plan on using a 17" CRT monitor with 1600x1200 resolution at first. Later this will be the host for a DVI connected projector to use as a TV.

I plan on all clear acrylic, with tinting and paint like MacroBlack.

My next project will actualy have many of the case features that the media PC will have. (But simpler)
    So it will be my experimenting ground for the MediaPC.

(yep, another huge project log on the way)

15. xcosta54

xcosta54 What's a Dremel?

Zap you are the man!! :thumb:

16. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

on the front panel would it be possible to use automamed motor driven IR key ring something like the sys power up switch by 3N1GM4`s blooooooo mod ?
    if this as been mentioned before i`m sorry but i`ve only just found this project log and it`s looking daaaaaaaaaam good :eeek: and if it`s finished by mid feb you could giv it me as a birthday prezy :D

17. planki

planki ...

zapwizard i know that you are going to use your ipaq to try and control your htpc i found this link on the web and didnt know whether you would be able to use this software or the basic principal of this to aid you.

Netremote

18. ZapWizard

Thanks for the link, that looks like it will be good to run on other PC's when I get this done.

19. cavitycr33p

cavitycr33p What's a Dremel?

Any updats on this zap, sorry if I missed something, this project is most def godly

"Bows"

20. ZapWizard

Late update was way back in July of '03
    The project is not dead, but on hold.
    I am currently building a new Athlon 64 FX watercooled system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.