1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Zerex Mixing Ratio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DETN8R, 4 Nov 2004.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I recently added 6ounces of zerex to 1 gallon of distilled water and then added it to my watercooling setup and have noticed foam for the whole 16 or so hours that i let it run. Any suggestions?

watercooling setup is as follows
    DangerDen D4 pump
    Blackice Extreme Radiator
    RBX Block
    Maze4 GPU Block

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ah, you're already here. :D

Mixture of Zerex on water should be 5%.

Zerex should not foam, however, so if it does I think: pump cavitation (too much underpressure at the pump inlet causing water to go a bit gaseous and causing the pump to rattle) or leak at pump inlet (allowing air to get in). If there is too much air in the res, some air bubbles can also get sucked into the pump with shimilar effect.

Your D4 pump is a serious piece of pumping equipment, which needs unrestricted, abundant flow at the inlet. This pump sucks (but in a good way :) )!

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

4. Nexxo

A bit of vortex appears to be normal --I've got that. Your res should be OK, because it is fine on my setup. However you want to fill it up as far as you can. All I can imagine is that you have some pump cavitation. As I said, the D4 is pretty powerful. I have a Davies Craig EBP on 3/4" inlet tubing, and it only barely avoids cavitation. I'd say fill the res practically to the rim and try again.

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I've tried filling it as much as I can but it still looks aerated and when I stop the pump I see a ton of air bubbles.

6. Nexxo

There must be a leak at the inlet, but then it would leak fluid when the system is at rest. Else there is cavitation of the pump. Can you run the pump at lower volts for a while, see if it resolves underpressure at the inlet?

Also, are you sure the mixture was not contaminated with something? Even a tiny drop of dishwaswhing liquid would do it.

Also, do you have a pic of the system? Not sure it will help but it might.

7. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Hmm... I dont think it was contaminated I did however leave the gas can which I mixed the stuff in uncovered for a day and then added it to the system, after I had added it to the system beforehand without leaving it uncovered. I suppose I will drain it and then remix the zerex stuff.

Would you recommend any cleaning to the gas can(was new when I baught it so I didnt see a need to clean it before adding the the zerex+distilled water to it), or watercooling system?? if so, how?

8. Nexxo

If the gas can was new I don't see how it could have been a problem. Metal cans may have been covered in a thin sheen of oil to prevent corrosion, plastics may be covered in something that helps the cast seperate from the injection mould. But those are tiny ammounts.

On the other hand, there could have been a residue of something already in the system. Drain and flush it, and try again?

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

drain and flush with what?

10. Nexxo

Just distilled or de-ionised water. It just needs rinsing out.

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Hmm, just rinsed it out with distilled water and mixed up a new batch and im still getting the same thing.

12. Nexxo

Must be cavitation then. You're getting underpressure at the pump inlet which turns the liquid to an almost gaseous state. Combined with the impellor that whips it up to a nice froth. I suspect your pump, being fairly powerful, is not fed well enough. Is there any constriction between res and pump? Does the water level in the res dip down a lot while it is running?

Give us a nice photo of the whole circuit?

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

14. Mimic

Mimic What's a Dremel?

i get the same thing with my d4 pump, these things have mega suction on em but from looking at the picture above i wouldn't expect it to froth excessivly.

my res leads straight into my d4 just like urs and froths a little but not excessively. i use waterwetter thought not Zerex.

if their was an air leak in there it wouldn't be at the pump end, the single rimmed plastic barb on the d4 has to be one of the most effective i have seen, u can run it without clips and it wont leak! super little thing!

15. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

im not getting great temps either.
    Case: 33c
    CPU Socket: 35c
    CPU Diode: 13c

whats the diff between socket and diode?

16. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Those temps aren't that bad. Probably just a couple of degrees as those small air bubbles reduce cooling efficiency.

17. Nexxo

Mobos have a temp sensor under the CPU socket. It is not the most reliable way of measuring temps, and mobos tend to be a bit out. More recent CPUs also have a tem sensor built in. Still, no way your CPU can be 13C. Again the mobo BIOS can be out in its interpretation of the reading. Temps look good to me, though. What do you expect, 20c?

Back to your system. I'm almost certain now it is cavitation. Your res barbs look way too narrow, and I suspect the D4 is sucking for all it's worth.

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

19. Nexxo

Yes, but what is their ID? They look quite small to me on the inside...

To get some perspective: you probably know my setup by now from the project logs. I have a Davies Craig EBP pump; not as powerful as the D4. Yet I have 3/4" ID inlet tubing with a 3/4" ID barb (1" on the thread!) coming out of the aquatube and into the pump. Even then, unless I fill the res to the very rim, the top fifth of the tube is practically empty as the coolant nearly can't fall through the barb fast enough to keep up with the pump's inlet demands. And that is with 3/8" ID tubing throughout the rest of the system. Trust me, you need wider ID barbs. This does not necessarily involve a bigger thread size, just thinner walled barbs.

As for CPU temps: with a reference heatsink it is not unusual for CPUs to reach 60c under peak loads, or sometimes even 70c (Opteron 248s in an Iwill SFF PC). You may find that when overclocked and under load, your temps will not rise much beyond where they are now --watercooling gives stability of temps, rather than very low temps. Don't expect it to chug away at, say, 25c or less. That's just silly.

20. nightic

nightic What's a Dremel?

Little trick with Zerex (and probably most other coolant additives) is to let the Water/Zerex solution sit for a while before you switch the pump on - have found this virtually removes the foaming you've mentioned.

Tags: