1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling zerex + rubbing alcohol?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PsychoI3oy, 8 May 2004.

1. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

quick question: can i safely mix a 20:1 distilled water:zerex coolant mixture with a similar 20:1 distilled water:91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol mixture?

i just found myself a bigger reservoir that will let me submerge my pump and hold tons more water, but I accidentally spilled all my spare zerex not long after initially setting up the watercooling system. I'm not particularly in the mood to wait for an order of more zerex, but also not confident in just adding more distilled water to the system. Would it be safe to add rubbing alcohol to the system to maintain biocide properties? Or would something like a 40-50:1 mixture of zerex and water(i.e. just adding water to the res) be plenty to keep germs and stuff out?

note: i have used the search and google and the 'important thread' about watercooling but didn't see anything about zerex and alcohol other than zerex does contain ethyl alcohol

2. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

hrmm, someone else somewhere else said just add water for now then put coolant in when i can get it.... hrmmm

3. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

isopropyl alcohol will evaporate rather quickly.

procooling.com is a good place to look for additive/coolant information

4. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

cool thanks

5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Your best off running down to the nearest car store / garage and getting some antifreeze to put in it :thumb:

Tags: