1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero Patience for Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 25 Nov 2003.

1. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

i thought the same things, hence the trip to the library, I'll just scan the micro's and write down the pertinent information

2. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I know about 1/10 of the kids of at my school have done drugs prolly about 1/10 drink and smoke. It really doesn't effect me in anyway. I could care less if I take a class with potheads, factual they are usually nice and tend to share their munchies. Drinkers don't do it in school and neither to smokers. We have a police officer in school but he really is only their for protection. We have about 8 security guards. Needless to say if there was anything to happen the school kids would win because my school had 3000 kids. I don't think Zero Tolerance is the way to go at all. It comes down to basically Parenting and Kids. If your a good parent you question your kids and have the right to be a bit snoopy about things. I prolly would do better in school if I was pushed a bit more But I passed in the top half of my class which is good enough for me. I can't say that its all in parenting cause me and my sister. My sister isn't bad but she went throught the "rebellious stage" and she is fine now. I never went through this. I didn't see a point. Anyway what I guess Im trying to say is that Zero Tolerance is stupid cause it makes kids want to do it more. If parents and kids would smarten up about things then they wouldn't need it.

Im not talking about all parents just some of those lazy ones :D

3. relix

relix Minimodder

The only times we see police at our school is because

1) They want to show what a scooter-accident can do to you, especially when it's going faster than legally allowed, so that we are discouraged to overspeed our scooters.

2) The yearly "bicycle-check" to check if your bike is OK, like if the lights are working and all that. They do that here because 90% of the children come to school with a bike. If something isn't working, you get a warning and if they ever catch you riding the bike with no lights, for example, you get fined.

3) When burglars have broken in at night.

I've never heard of anything happen with drugs at our school. No-one is so stupid to use drugs at our school, 'cause if they did they'd probably be suspended for a year. Smoking isn't allowed either, and no incidents have happened with smoking either ('cause again, no-one smokes at school, not even secretly). The only thing that is forbidden and which I have done as well is chewing chewing-gum. If they catch you, you have to scrape 50 chewing-gums off the ground :D

4. Sid

Sid Banned

When you say smoking is banned, I take it that's just inside the school grounds. They can't stop you doing it outside the gates? At my school half the pupils really didnt care for the rules at all. For example, they would just say no to picking up 50 bits of chewing gum - swear at the teacher and walk out the class. I don't see how some schools manage to enforce this discipline.

60% drank every weekend - 30% of which went to the pub to do so.
    30% of people smoked.
    ~10% used dope occasionally.
    1-2% used dope regularly ie. daily
    Basically none would use any hard drugs.

So compared to other things. Very few use drugs on a regular basis.

...And dope seems to be hardly a bad thing anymore. It seems legal already here. The other day a guy on the bus, in the seat opposite me, starting rolling a cigarette. I thought - fair enough, just as long as he doesn't start smoking it (no smoking bus). He then went on to pull out a block of hash and finish rolling his joint then smoke it on the bus. Everyone around was looking at him, but he was just scum, he didn't care.

5. relix

relix Minimodder

There are few smokers on our school, and yes, around the school they smoke and the school can't (but doesn't want to) say anything about that.

6. macroman

macroman The One

I suspect the World has always been mad it is only now with modern media that so many people are aware of it. :D