1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZONOZ TEH URLS OF DEAHT!!1

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by nicae, 18 Feb 2009.

1. nicae

nicae New Member

Hello!

I have two issues I would like to comment on:

I usually visit tech sites, like BT, during free-time gaps at work. As you would expect, the company's proxy blocks anything it can relate to youtube, games, videos and so forth. Expectedly, they won't allow access to any webpage if the URL itself contains the words "game", "video", "youtube", "hack" and most likely any NSFW terms. Hence the topic's subject. (DEAHT!!!1one1)

As a consequence, I have a problem with BT pages when they relate to games, videocards and alike. I haven't yet had problems with NSFW terms, though, as I still couldn't find the BT pr0n section (Anyone?! :D). Images sometimes don't load either. To make things worse, the best time-killing reads, BT blog posts and columns, have 80% of their titles embedded within the URL and are almost always game related, so there are many great texts I can't read. Actually, I'm just hoping they're great. Will I ever come to know? Will I?! (Notice the drama to make you *want* to help me)

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but please do have this issue in mind and, eventually, consider making generic URLs for pages and images! Folders included!

This is more like an opinion rather than an issue: I would prefer it if I could view all recent blog posts and columns at the same time. Either make them side-by-side, or just cram them all in the same category.. They're not thaaaaat different, are they? :)

Thanks for the site!
    Cheers from Brazil!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

... Now you can't access your own thread. You used all the blocked keywords!

hitman012 likes this.
  3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

TBH, you're browsing the wrong websites during work.

Bit-tech is (mostly) safe, granted, but if you want to read articles/forums on a computing/gaming/modding website and the proxy you're behind blocks most of it by keyword - well, it's not rocket science, is it? Read a manual called, "Haxing yor toobs", which will probably detail digging a tunnel or something, I dunno.

4. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Actually, I had BT blocked yesterday too. I did a quick google for a thread on lopsided bandwidth usage that I started, and it came up as blocked and "unsafe." Even the cache was blocked.

Solution: Find other sites to browse during downtime at work.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Tbh unless my job was excruciatingly boring, I don't think I'd bother browsing much. If I had a free minute I'd just waste it on http://www.freepacmangame.net/ or something similarly short, like weebl-stuff.

Bit-tech is fairly cerebral by interweb standards, if you're taking a break at work you want something dumb and happy to look at :)

6. nicae

nicae New Member

Thanks for the replies.

@ Cheapskate: Luckilly, the proxy doesn't filter text. Basically, it captures the keywords when they're in the site's or image's URL and also blocks most flash video players.

@ kenco_uk: Thanks for the link! I've searched for such proxies once, but couldn't find anything worthwile. This one has several nice options so it's bookmarked!
    I can now access BT freely, but my recommendation still stands for the site: User's ease of use is a valid goal, IMHO, even if we're talking about only a few visitors. If the trouble is worth it, though, is up to them (of course). What's up to me is to show the problem exists, and that was my intention with the thread. ;D

@ Stuey: I have a handful of pages I visit at such times, and they're basically about news. The problem is that sometimes there isn't any new news on my favourite pages, and BT's columns and blogs are a great option - when they're not blocked.

@ boiled_elephant: It really depends on your job. I work with budgeting, and we often find ourselves waiting for information from several people. The waits can sometimes last for days.
    Obviously, as Murphy would wish it, such information usually reaches us at the end of the day and we leave work very late... :(
    Your suggestion of quick games are a no-no. I don't feel comfortable at it while people (and friends) around me from other departments are working their butts off. I think reading a big dull text (even if on games) is more appropriate.
    BTW, I consider PCs to be one of my hobbies. Even if bit-tech is cerebral, it's relaxing and fun! ;)

Problem half-solved. Thanks!

Last edited: 19 Feb 2009
  7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Interestingly, at school, bit-tech.net is blocked, but forums.bit-tech.net isn't :p go figure :(

firefox saving the unblock password is a lifesaver :D