1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by kenco_uk, 17 May 2005.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Eyup all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience using any of the following cameras?

Kodak DX6490, Fuji S5500 and Olympus C765.

Reading reviews, the Kodak is nice but doesn't allow manual White Balance alteration and greenery (grass/trees) is said to be a bit 'muddy'.

The S5500 suffers from vignetting and looking at review photos, it's quite bad.

The Olympus seems good, but isn't up to much in low light conditions, the LCD or EVF both suffer in this respect.

It looks like a tradeoff between the three, unless someone can come up with a good allrounder 10x for around the £180 mark.

tia :)

2. dozer

dozer What's a Dremel?

the olympus is a great camera and probably has the best lens and real zoom. these auto digicams are not made for low light but you can do plenty with photoshop.

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

No sure how much it costs over there, but take a look at the Casio P505, it's a very good camera. (Don't let the casio name through you off)

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I hadn't noticed poor low light performance on my C770UZ, which is essentially the same camera but with an enhanced movie mode. It's perfectly usable - even when the light isn't the best (say, at 25 meters ;)):

http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Jaques_GOOsteau.JPG
    http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Bit_tech_Cap.JPG
    http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Crush.JPG
    http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Green_Sea_Turtle.MP4

If you can splash the extra cash, it's a decent cam.

5. kenco_uk

Wow, nice pictures! Hmm.. I wonder if the review I read had the same camera then?! The 770 also has a slightly more powerful flash and, as you say, the MPEG4 movie mode and a couple of extra settings. Well, that's certainly swayed me towards the Olympus!

It's for the Mrs, as she's wanting to upgrade from her current Olympus (C-310 I think) which is a darn good camera, but lacking in the zoom a little.

What's the camera like zoomed it at 10x? Does it take decent shots if you're steady or is a tripod a necessity?

Many thanks.

While the Casio looks rather nice it's a little out of my budget I'm afraid.

Last edited: 17 May 2005
  6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It can be susceptible to camera shake when at the top end of the zoom - but all cameras with long zooms are, unless they've got some form of image stabilisation (The Olympus ultra zooms don't).

That said, if you brace / steady yourself you can take pics shake free without a tripod.

The other thing to note about the 770 is that it has a hot shoe attachment for an external flash should you want to use one - the 675 doesn't.

7. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Personally I've used the Fuji 5500 and the Kodak 6490, of the three you've listed i'd probably reccomend the 6490, The quality from that thing is awesome, obviously not too great if you want big enlargements but the colour saturation it produces is pretty impressive, if you've ever used 35mm negative and slide film then compared the two, you'll know what I mean, the colours look very 'Punchy'.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the lower end olympus ultra zooms, they feel very poorly built, the lens wobbles in the chamber and you can't get a pin sharp photo unless you use a tripod/table at 7x or longer. If your looking at olympus then I personally wouldn't look at anything lower than the 770.

If as you say your wife is upgrading from a c310z then the Kodak will blow her away, honestly, it is pretty feature packed for the price (has full P/A/S/M) modes along with a whole host of presets) and the colours are so much better than the equivalent fuji/olympus

Just my 2penneth ;)

(also, I should mention that the kodak has adjustable ISO settings and the viewfinder will gain up (B+W) so you can pretty much see in the dark through the viewfinder, I wouldn't normally reccomend a Kodak over the equivelant Nikon/Olympus/Canon but this model is extremely good for the price)

8. kenco_uk

Darnit, I was thinking of the Kodak but plumped for a Canon S1 IS as it was going cheap. Hopefully it'll be as good.

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Ah well, you made a good choice any road, the lenses on those are pretty impressive ;)

10. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

Interesting...

I should be getting a new digicam for my birthday, looking to spend around £200 - what can I get for that?

Things I want:

* Good zoom!
    * LCD
    * uses rechargable AA's if possible
    * Small/lightweight - fits in pocket?
    * Print to 4x6", possibly 5x7, doubt any larger - be mainly used for on-screen display anyway (4MP enough?)
    * Mainly just want point and shoot, but I'm a gadget freak, so if it has things to play with like shutter speed (especially shutter speed!), W/B etc, would be even better.

When I was looking at this a few months ago, the Canon Ixus 40 seemed to be good?
    The Pentax Optio S5i is very nice and small, but I thought the pictures were quite awful.

Any opinions?

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Well firstly 3MP or greater will do screen and prints upto 9x6 without a problem.

If your after a compact 'gadgety' camera then I'd take a look at the Casio Exilim EX-S100

If your after something more serious then i'd take a look at the Canon S1 IS

If your after something inbetween then take a look at the Olympus C60

;)

Also, pentax compacts are well known for over-compressing their images, coupled with comparitevly poor lens and image processing they just don't produce satisfactory results for someone looking for quality snaps

12. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

The C60 is nice, but 6mpixel for £200?!
    I thought it might have been 6mp interpolated or something, but it does appear to be a true 6mp camera?

The Casio looks VERY nice (and its cheap), apparently not *brilliant* photos, but still good for its size.
    Might well get that Casio, but..Casio? Last I checked they made keyboards (of the musical type...)
    Any other opinions of the Casio? :D

13. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Don't let the name put you off, it produces some pretty decent photos, if you get it make sure you set the compression to minumum, factory settings for that camera are crap.

Oh yeah, the c60 is a bargain indeed, especially with the lens it has

14. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

Just been looking at its 7mp big brother (Casio EX-Z750) which is £260, and really liking it...

May well scrounge up enough money to get that 7mp :)

The C60 is nice, but for sheer size, the Casio can't be beaten I think.. :D

Having said that, the Canon SD500 is nice, good make, good photos, and a similar price.

Looks like its between the Casio Exilim EX-S100, EZ-Z750 and the SD500...

Last edited: 22 May 2005
  15. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Regarding the SD500, that is the american model name for it, if you want it over here you need to be asking for the canon ixus 700.

:thumb:

16. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

Yup, most of the reviews are for the US version so that had stuck, I meant the Ixus 700 :)

I'll probably go for the Casio, its just more featured packed...
    Interestingly enough, it uses a Pentax lens tho which ain't too hot tho?
    Its still apparently one of the best cams for its size/price etc.

Shall just need to scrounge the money :D

17. walker

walker What's a Dremel?

18. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hi again bwgames,

Just because it's a pentax lens doesn't mean it's bad, for example, the lenses on the Casio exilim pro series are Canon, and are absolute tosh, but the Canon lenses I use on my pro digital SLR/film SLR kit are amazing, it's not a question of which manufacturer is best, it's a question of which model is best, and the best way to find out is to handle one in a shop before you buy (if you know what to look for) or go off online reviews, I find steves digicams to be a very good resource

Just my 2 penneth :thumb:

19. kenco_uk