1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zotac unveils first graphics card with DisplayPort

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

This is great news: DisplayPort is here before I expected.
    Let's hope they don't overprice the card because of this.... (like the HDMI cards)

3. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

They shouldnt need to, I would imagine there will be a bit of price premium until the market picks up for cards like this. But the main reason it wont be over priced is with HDMI there are royality fees to be paid, where as Display port is a free standard

Kimbie

4. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Display port is absolutely useless, pretty much the same bandwith of dual link dvi (which I have and I am more than content with) really the only point I can see in it is that its a much smaller connection, but hdmi also has that slight advantage and is already dominating the market. Utterly pointless.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If its basically a universal port which is compatable with HDMi, DVI and D-SUB then it can only be a good thing...

Lets hope there is no premium on the cards with it tho.

6. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

And better designed also (a single card will be able to hold 4 of them), it doesn't look like DVI, ie, a brick.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and must be cheaper that HDMI because it is free to use it on your design..... you have to pay a premium for HDMI

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

surely that DVI converter will cause some issues with using the built in dvi port? Infact the DVI converter pic almost looks like a 'shop as the perspective is a tad odd.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

nice, the complimentary adapters are nice addition and will smoothen the transition, like vga->dvi...

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Is it just me or would you all rather have adaptor that are integrated into like 4 inched of cable instead of some hard plastic thing sticking out of your tower which then getting another rigid plastic thing(cable connector) plugged into it...

I know every time i move the tower or other wise change or move the cable i'm afraid the extra leverage the adaptor provides will torque the thing right off the card.

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Yeah, I think I'd be afraid to use those adapters too. If the cost is the same and the adapters are improved I'd buy.

12. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I was definitely thinking the same thing, that adapter looks pretty precarious hanging out there like that. It looks like some vertical movement of some kind with a DVI cable attached would just break the whole thing right off. HDMI isn't any better though. :sigh:

that's the only thing I like about VGA and DVI, the connections are very solid and you don't really have to worry about it.

13. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I'm in the boat with everybody else. if the 8800gt is the same price as other 8800gt i would be an early adopter. work out good too cause the 8800gt is the card i will get in time i love it price performance ratio, so if the display port can extend the longevity of the card and the stars align i will buy it, I'll just check and make sure there's no hardware malfuntions on the card before i buy it considering its the first of its kind. maybe you guys at bit-tech could do a review on it, or find one, before its released, I'd love to know your thoughts from a hands on experience.

Tags: Add Tags