1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Zowie EC1/2 eVo mouse experience?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 31 Oct 2013.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi guys, anyone use/used Zowie EC1 or EC2 eVo mice?
    Just checking what was your experience, planning to buy new mouse, had my MX518 for couple of years and I want something new:)

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Had an EC1 Evo for a while (still have it but I'm trying a Microsoft Intellimouse atm). Nothing but good things to say about it really (apart from it not working on my boogie bug mouse mat)

Feels great in the hand, good sensor, a sensible amount of buttons in easy to reach places with a nice feel to them. Glides very nicely across my Puretrak Talent (the mouse mat I bought after finding out it wouldn't work with the Boogie)

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Which one do you have? Shiny white or black rubberised? Does it work straight on your desk or does it need a special pad?

Where did you get Microsoft Intellimouse? What exact version is it? Are you just testing it or are you trying to change to MS mouse and drop Evo?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Black, haven't really tried it on the desk since I thought that might damage the desk/mouse feet.

Got it from Hamza on this forum, I can check when I get home. I've been using it a couple of weeks now, was partially to try something new, wanted to try my boogie bug again, and because I thought I'd be able to sell my Zowie for more than I paid for the Microsoft mouse which appeals to me since I've just done a new build and any money I can get is good :p

Haven't sold the Zowie yet though, it certainly glides a lot better than the intellimouse, but I'm tempted to think that's actually worse for me personally. Does feel lovely though, haven't 100% decided what I'm going to do.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Interesting. Let me know if you willing to apart with Zowie;)

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

What is the difference between Evo and pro?

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Ahh the Zowie mice.

They are purely simplistic and functional, nice shape, nice sensor, very low lift off distance, so low that it's worth checking that they work with your pad beforehand (as George found out the hard way;)).

If you had the MX518 then the EC1 is around the same size. The EC2 is smaller (perhaps more agile? It depends on if you are fingertip grip or palm grip. Fingertip grip would take advantage of the smaller EC2 size). The gloss one sticks to your fingers so I'd say the grip is better. The matte models are slipperier, but they don't get dirt on them like the glossy ones do (so they don't need cleaning. As much.)

The evo is the upgraded sensor version that has no prediction. Prediction is an artificial mechanism that predicts when you are trying to move your mouse in a straight line and then artificially makes the cursor move straight. Some people like prediction, others prefer perfect 1:1 mouse to cursor movement, it's a personal thing. I *think* the MX518 has prediction, but I can't really remember.

I'm not sure what the pro is about, is that the original EC series remade or some new thing? In any case I haven't been into the market the past couple of months so I'm not on par with the latest developments.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks hamza for your input, it helped me a lot:thumb:
    Sounds like EC2 is sth for me now. I wanted a bit smaller mouse. I think I use fingertip grip.
    I like the shiny version, they come only in white though... I don't know how fast it can get dirty, but I think I could risk it. White shiny EC2 is what I'm aiming now for.

I think PRO is older version, then EVO came in. Plus EVO has 2300dpi, compared to 2000 from PRO.

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Cheers, glad to know I could be of some assistance :)

Ah of course, in that case the differences of original vs EVO (apart from the dpi change), are the angle snapping/prediction (EVO doesn't have it, original does); and some probably unnoticeable lift-of-distance changes that affects mousepad compatiblity.

I have the white glossy EC2 myself (original version not EVO), used it before switching to the AM, the 'dirty thing' isn't much of a problem if you can be bothered to just wipe it, it's only an issue if you let it be an issue :) I have a microfibre cloth hanging around my PC area which is pretty handy for cleaning anything.

Edit: just a note, I don't think it's actually called the EC2 "PRO" (no wonder I was confused), it's just the EC1/2 and then the EC1/2 eVo versions. The "pro" listed in the OCUK link title is part of the phrase "pro-gaming mouse":
    Zowie EC2 Pro Gaming Mouse
    Zowie EC2 eVo 2300 DPI Pro-Gaming Mouse

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So now you are using AM? Would you like to sell your EC2?:)

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

...well... I just ordered EC2 Evo white! :clap: AAAAAAAA!!!!! :eeek:

Now, I need to find a way to tell my Bank Manager that I spent £52 on a mouse...:worried:

Need to sell my MX518 really quickly now!

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Sorry was busy in assignments, didn't get a chance to reply to your PM! Congrats on the new mouse anyway, have fun :)

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

No worries, I just couldn't wait and ordered one:)
    Coming tomorrow, can't wait!:D

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OH MY GOD! :jawdrop: This is the best mouse I EVER had!!! Even better than MX518!

I actually moves itself! It is soooo smooth to move around, touching it is so pleasant, so nice surface, shape is perfect for my hand, I can use not only fingertip grip but full palm grip too and it doesn't feel too big. AMAZING !:rock:

Cons: well, not cons, just a thing that I need to get used to - scroll is heavy. That is it! :D

Courier brought it to my office, but will get it home tonight and make some photos.
    Perfect shape, all buttons that I need, sensitive change, incredible smooth running mouse, and that color is perfect - I'm fed up with dark colors.

BEST MOUSE EVER!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Nov 2013
  15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm home, working in Sketchups. I noticed that there is some kind of slow down when I drag some elements on the canvas. It didn't happen with old mouse. What is that?
    Like mouse made a move but on screen it is still moving...

EDIT: OK, I think I know what this is - I changed Hz from default 1000 to 500 and it is fine now.. I think...
    Why was it skipping? USB freq too high?

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
  16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Slow down when dragging stuff? Using a cloth pad by any chance?

In any case 500Hz is optimal for the Zowie mice, everyone is using that afaik.

Edit: Oh wait, it sounds like your PC is not updating fast enough to cope with the speed the mouse is moving at, for whatever reason. USB buffers or something? Hazarding a guess, I think you may see the same thing if you use another mouse at 1000Hz.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Like you said, 500Hz is fine, been using it for this weekend and looks ok. Funny how it was slowing down...