1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zune DIY: tv output cable. *Project Completion*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 25 Dec 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I would hate to reccomend doing the same crazy things I do to other people. And I will be perfectly honest that mine was not the easiest to make. Although I am visiting my parents and do not have all my tools with me that probably would have otherwise made this project easier.

You could alternatively get the iPod A/V cable like the one > Here <

From what I can judge from the pinout table you would only need to reverse the audio outputs, switching right and left. Then again you may never notice if they were crossed on your TV anyway.

2. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Well I am afraid to say Warrior I didn't take your advice, I bought an AV Cable And 4pin 3.5mm Plug at Maplin's today, which saves me about ten pounds on the proper creative cable. I have already taken the end off the AV cable and stripped the wire back and so am now ready to solder. I may get my Dad to do that as I don't have very refined soldering skills yet and his soldering iron (more like gun) is a lot different to the ones I have used in school. I will post pictures of mine when I have it finished. I should get the player tomorrow.

3. bumfluff

Well it is made, however I accidentally told my Dad to solder the video and audio on the wrong way round so I jsut have to swap them round...woops. It works well but it also only shows the video in Black and white, is this my cables fault? I don't see how.

4. Warrior_Rocker

If it is only showing the video in black and white it is most likely due to outputting in NTSC mode when your tv takes PAL or the other way around. On your Zune you should have the option for which mode to output in. Try the other to see if that clears up your issue.

It would have nothing to do with the way its wired, it has everything to do with different signal and frame timings with NTSC and PAL video formats.

5. bumfluff

Wow, you are amazing, you should change your name to God_Rocker. So that is me saved £10 (even though I managed to get it connected wrong).

Thanks Warrior_Rocker for all your help.

6. Warrior_Rocker

Okay, So I finally was able to find some heat shrink tubing to finish off this project.

The part I did not take pictures of was how I superglued the connector under the heatshrink. The reason for this is although the heat shrink would protect the electronics of it, the superglue will ensure they never break off the headphone jack. I did several layers so to ensure a good strong hold. My personal super glue of choice is the loctite professional stuff like found at lowes.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the completed cable:
    [​IMG]
    Quick top shot of the completed cable

[​IMG]
    Close up of both connectors

[​IMG]
    Very close up of the shrunk up connector

[​IMG]
    Same connector from a different angle

[​IMG]
    I made the choice here to put a small peice to keep the cable from fraying

[​IMG]
    And from a different angle

Thanks for all the input guys, I hope this helps a few of you out there or if anything inspires you to build your own. Or likewise inspires you to utilize the tv out features of your zune. Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: 3 Jun 2012
  7. bumfluff

Nice finishing touch there.

Here is my cable that I made (sorry for very bad photo quality)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100 points for anyone who can name the band and song in this crappy photo:

[​IMG]

And 1 million points to anyone who can name the guitarist playing and the one drinking a beer.

8. Co2

Co2 CadUser

The musicvideo is DragonForce - Through Fire and Flames
    The guitarist is Sam Totman?
    Could you transfer those points to my bankaccount (if i'm correct that is) :)

9. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Very nice guide, works a treat by the looks of things, its way more fun to make one urself. gotta get me a zune now! then i can try this

10. bumfluff

Wow, you get almost all the points, you missed Herman Li busy soloing away in the background. Are you by any chance a DragonForce fan?

By the way I have a Zen Vision M I really recommend it (the Zune isn't available in the UK yet, so if you want one now get a Zen Vision M as they look so much better than the ipod).

11. Co2

Co2 CadUser

funny you should ask. The first 'touch' of dragonforce i got was by one on these forums saying he quit guitarlessons because he saw Through fire and flames, so i watched it at video.google and then borrowed their whole discography from a friend who likes them alot (his whole laptop is styled after them)
    It's a good band but i listen to all sorts of music (i got 1835 songs in one folder alone) :D

12. bumfluff

DragonForce are my all time favourite band, the sheer speed they play at is immense and went to see them live and they are awesome. Their on stage presence just blows you away and they are really fun aswell just slagging each other off all the time.

Anyway this is a bit off topic.

13. Co2

Co2 CadUser

Yeah, hehe, it kinda is getting offtopic... Great Zunemod!
    Then that's put ontopic