1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zune gets dated, priced, snapped

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Oct 2006.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

Its not rotary, its a fake, up/down is volume- sides are skip and well, figure it out from there.

2. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

did you even read the link i posted? only pics and songs are sendable

From engadget:
    You can:

* Can search for and find other Zunes nearby.
    * Can send songs / albums for the 3 x 3 trial. Songs past the three days / listens are deleted at next sync, but catalogued on your PC for record-keeping should you want to purchase them later. No word on whether Microsoft is going to keep track of which files are traded.
    * You can send and receive image files for "unlimited viewing." (Oh, so copyrighted images aren't worth DRMing?)

You can't:

* Connect to the internet.
    * Download songs directly from the Zune store via WiFi.
    * Sync to your computer via WiFi.

MS couldve have had a winner with the wifi, but they maneged to cripple it enough to make it useless. seriously, Wifi had me excited until i read what it was for and its useless. and the screen may be bigger than the ipods but its the same resolution. MS is messing up in my eyes, theyre making it bigger than the 80 gig ipod, theyre crippling the wifi, and they couldve increased the resolution on that screen

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Why is the Zune better than the ipod for me?

#1. You are not paying for the Apple name, its price is actually spot on.
    #2. Imagine what you could do with this player, with, say, rockbox.
    #3. The screen is utterly astonishing.
    #4. 30 gigs is darn right plenty for anybody, trust me, since when was the last time you listened to all of your 100gig library?

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

not being able to sync with wifi is a really stupid idea, how many people are going to buy a zune anyway, makes the (limited) song sending even more useless.

you should be able to stream the music off someone elses zune like a dmr.

and i dont know why everyone is getting so upset about itunes, when was wmp any better.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

All of which are expected to be included in future firmware/hardware releases ;). It's only a matter of time before Microsoft develops the features into the Zune, so I'm buying one now because it's a great all round player with the prospect of even more features later on. I know it's a bit chunky, and I can't say it looks all that slick next to an iPod, but I don't see size as the deciding factor for me. It looks pretty good, and packs a decent punch- let's face it, I can't even listen to radio on the ipod without purchasing another accessory, so you can't complain that the Zune isn't thin considering what it contains. Taking up M4RTIN's point on streaming, I'm pretty sure the Zune does allow you to stream to other Zune devices, unless that was on of the unfulfilled speculative features.

<A88>

6. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

In Engadget's recent preview of it, they say that Microsoft Zune feels a lot lighter than the IPod. :clap:

7. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

haha. think you might be taking things just a little too seriously. personally i can't see how wifi could offer any advantage to a portable music player. it's just a gimick that i couldn't see myself using. fair enough if its there but size is far more important in a portable player.

Tags: Add Tags