1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Zv2 Desk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zondorf, 5 Aug 2019.

1. Zondorf

Zondorf Member

So I built a Custom Desk for myself a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

It worked somewhat well but wasn't easy to work on, change components and ran slightly higher temps than a regular gaming chassis but hey it looks cool, right?

Anyways I decided it was time to build something new and push the build further than the last one.

After a couple of hours planning and drawing on autocad 3D I came up with this design.

[​IMG]

Rendered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm undecided on the color scheme that I will end up running but I rendered in those colors since I liked the look of it.

I decided to build the bin (major component compartment) out of alloy as I have never really worked with it before and thought it will make for an interesting challenge.

First thing was to cut the bin on the plasma.
    I decided on using 2mm General Grade Aluminium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finished the bending and test fitted the first 360 Rad to ensure everything lines up correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting and bending I noticed that 2mm was probably a bit too thin and 3mm would've likely been a far better choice.

Then I added some more components after cutting and bending the separator plate.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start the main standing structure which is to be built out of 50x1.6mm MS Square Tubing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached the bin to the legs to check the height and ensure there will be sufficient strength in the main structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to add some strengthening beams underside the bin as the Alloy is a LOT softer than I anticipated.

[​IMG]

Next was to manufacture the false floors for both sides of the bins, the purpose of which is for cable management.

I added the cut outs for the standard fan connectors as to hide all fan cables.

[​IMG]

No fan cable in sight.

[​IMG]

Next up is to weld the bin and main structure up completely and then move on to component mounting, I still need to get my hands on a old PC case which I can strip for a donor case for the IO plate and Motherboard tray.

More to follow

2. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

You broke out a laser cutter & 3mm sheet aluminium -- I think a certain colonial user with a primate avatar may need some ... "personal time"... after reading this thread. :D

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Who?
    Great stuff. Also, there's this guide. I've always just dropped a dead board in and traced the hole pattern and stuff. An old mobo tray will look odd in your desk too.

4. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

No idea, tbh... o_O ; only seen 'em once or twice & seeing any mention 'heavy modding gear' seemed to be something they got excited about.

5. Zondorf

Zondorf Member

Thanks I will look into this, since I already have a false floor in it can double as the motherboard tray.